VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you're all sick of comparing, Nissans Hondas & VW's.. but this time i have a question about VWs!
which is quicker, the new 200hp VR6, or the 180hp 1.8T? I remember in 1999 reading up on the specs of the VWs and the 1.8T Jetta was 7.7seconds, and the VR6's (GTi and Jetta) were both 8.1seconds. For some reason the 1.8T GTi was only rated at 8.1seconds also. To me that makes no sense, because i would assume a GTi is lighter than a Jetta. This was on the http://www.vw.com website by the way. I know the 1.8T is definitely faster than the 174hp VR6... but i would assume the 200hp VR6 would be faster than the current 180hp 1.8T.
my questions are:
1) which is faster, the 2004 200hp VR6 or the 2004 180hp 1.8T?
2) which is faster, the Jetta GLI or the GTi?
again this is stock for stock, i know a chipped 1.8T will obviously beat a 200hp VR6, but remember that a 2004 VR6 with forced induction will destroy anything!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (split)

well i dont want to start the daily flame war of 1.8t vs vr6 but my i dont have too much trouble at all waxing the new 1.8's with my 12v...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

1) The VR6 is slightly faster stock in the 1/4 mile and 0-100. 0-60 times I think are identical at 6.5.
2) GTI would due to the weight difference but I wouldn't be a big margin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (FlatGTI)

to be honest with you my friend with numbers that close it turns into a drivers race not a whose car is slightly quicker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (mofftarkin)

bro you have a 12v as well (i just looked at your signature) have you raced any 1.8ts at the tracks? dont underestimate the power of your motor...

·
Registered
952 Posts

Just gonna post what i posted in another topic:
Quote, originally posted by split »
... i raced a 1.8t. We both had 2 other people in the car. Off the line, i was about a foot or 2 ahead, but i guess once the turbo had a chance to get up, i couldnt do much. He was half a car lenght ahead, but i was holdin up. He said he was chipped with an exhaust and i cant remember what else.

Based on the fact that the a chip helps a 1.8t a lot, i would have to guess then that i would have had him (not by much though) if he wasnt chipped.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

I know the 1.8T is definitely faster than the 174hp VR6...

I wouldnt be so sure, I say its a drivers race..numbers are way too close to say the word definitely

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
id imagine the vr6 could pull a bit faster out of the turns but the 1.8t could rip harder on the straits and take a slightly (im talking .005mph) higher speed into the turns. like stated before, its a drivers race.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all i know is i want a 200hp vr6 engine so bad... im in an odd situation. i was stupid an invested a lot into my 2.Slow, i wish i would have just traded it right away for a VR6, but i didnt.. so at this point it seems like i'll loose so much if i trade it in, because i have like $4000 worth of stereo equipment.. votex front, fog lights, struts/shocks/springs front tower strut bar, like the works.. and i know i wont get anything for all those mods if i sell it.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

The 24V is slower to sixty because of the gear ratios on the six speed. A 0 to 60 run requires a shift to third.
I know the 1.8T is definitely faster than the 174hp VR6

Want to bet?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (aqua_blue_pearl_g60)

I have a 24V VR6 with a CAI, Chip and Exhaust... My friend who had a 337 with an APR chip - drove mine and he said mine might be a little quicker.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (BBGLIVR6)

theres too many varibles to figure out who is faster because the stock hp isnt to different from each other. 20 hp isnt much and with the 6 speed ratios in the 24v are http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (nicky1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by nicky1.8t »
theres too many varibles to figure out who is faster because the stock hp isnt to different from each other. 20 hp isnt much and with the 6 speed ratios in the 24v are http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Do the VR6 use the 02M tranny? If so, the 5 speed 02J are faster.

·
Registered
113 Posts

split,
I have both the 2002 1.8T with 180 hp and the 2003 GLI with 200 hp. The wife and I race each other all the time (just did it again actually) and my GLI pulls ahead of the turbo quite easily. But we only take it to 70mph so who knows what happens when you get to 100mph or in the 1/4 mile. I can tell you for sure though that the 1.8T with a 5-speed is NOT as quick as the 200 hp with a 6-speed. Of course, I would expect the GTI with 200 hp and the 6-speed to be a tiny bit faster than the GLI, because of weight.
TOE

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stock '03 Jetta GLI pulls considerably harder than a stock '03 Jetta Glx 1.8t. I drove them back to back for about 30 minutes with a buddy's car.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts

I know the 1.8T is definitely faster than the 174hp VR6

yeah, I'm not to sure about that, I have a friend with a mkII 12v, another friend with a mkIII 4door golf 12v, and 2 other ones with mkIII 12v's and they all stomp me, never raced another mkIV but I don't think it would be that much different IMO.
funny how my 1.8T stomps almost every honda nissan and any other ricey little car around, but when I'm with my friends, this girl even laughs at me cuz I have the slowest car
CHIP THIS MONTH!!!!
didnt mean to hijack the thread, my bad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Which is Quicker? (JetaBlack4)

"the 12v vr6 also has a lot more torque then the 1.8t"
vr612v TQ=181
1.8t TQ=173
Not a very big difference sport.

Modified by WolfWagen at 8:10 AM 2-15-2004

Modified by WolfWagen at 8:11 AM 2-15-2004