VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Which motor oil is better synthetic or regular?

780 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Volk14 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a 02 VW Passat 1.8T with 150k miles. The previous owner put regular Penzoil oil and regular unleaded gas in the tank. The car runs smoothly and has great suspension. I know with VW it's recommended to use synthetic and use premium gas. My question is what should I do to start all over as in switch from regular oil to synthetic and regular gas to premium? How can I go about the process to switch and what is the best synthetic oil?

#2 ·
You MUST use synthetic oil in the 1.8T at all times. Failure to do so risks clogging the oil pump, leading to loss of oil pressure and eventually the loss of the engine. What you want is oil that meets VW specification 502.00. Typically, this will be 5w40 full synthetic. Castrol Edge and Valvoline Synpower are often used, as is Mobil 1 (in the 0w40 weight).

You SHOULD use 91 octane premium fuel, preferably from a Top Tier refiner. If everything is working properly, the car will detect the knock that lower octane will cause, and "de-tune" itself to prevent damage. However, you will lose power and probably gas mileage as well.

There's no conversion or procedure to change to either of these - simply stop using the wrong oil and fuel.

#3 ·
VW Spec full synthetic oil only!!!!!!

The problem you have with non VW Spec oil is called "oil coking", has to do with high heats you get with small turbo-charged engines like 1.8T.

If you are at 155K with no sludge problems I am surprised, change over now and if you run 91 Octane or higher you will appreciate better engine performance.

#4 ·
I bet that he was not the original owner of the car. I doubt that a 1.8t would make it to 150k miles with regular oil.

A lot of people don't know that they have to use synthetic oil on 1.8t engines, due to conventional oil I've seen blown turbos, sludge engines, rods going through the block, bad camshaft tensioners and the list goes on and on.

Synthetic oil is critical on VW turbo engines and, don't forget to check your timing belt :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.