VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealer today to look into getting a non-ac alternator pulley. They are $23, which isnt too bad...probably what I would pay for a used one + shipping. Anyways, which non-a/c pulley do you use to get it far enough over to line up with the other pulleys? They said there was a part number for a Valeo (I think) alternator and a Bosch unit. Neither of which are guaranteed to fit onto my 90 amp A/C alternator.
So whats the story? Anybody got a part number?

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: Which non-a/c ALT. pulley for A/C removal? (A2RicedGTI)

I thought you could take your pulley off and put washers behind it to make it line up. Anyone else?

·
Banned
5,589 Posts
Re: Which non-a/c ALT. pulley for A/C removal? (VW-BMW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I thought you could take your pulley off and put washers behind it to make it line up. Anyone else?[HR][/HR]​
Um...no can do. The shaft on the alternator isn't long enough to do that.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

get an 8v alt pulley, put the spacers behind it, and buy a 43 inch belt. thats all i ended up having to do.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Which non-a/c ALT. pulley for A/C removal? (SauerKraut)

This *is* an 8v, therefor I have an 8v pulley already. So can I just but washers behind it or what?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

dammit, I wasnt paying attention.
in that sense, see if any of the pulleys down by the crank line up, and in the end, get some spacer washers to bring the alt. pulley in line with the others.
...im talkin out of my ass.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Which non-a/c ALT. pulley for A/C removal? (VW-BMW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I thought you could take your pulley off and put washers behind it to make it line up. Anyone else?[HR][/HR]​
That's what I did. No problem with shaft length. I probably moved the alternator further over in the bracket than a lot of other people though, judging from the how-tos I've seen.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: Which non-a/c ALT. pulley for A/C removal? (money2burn)

I got parts off of a FOX in a pick and pull (they have AC on the other side)
They had the same alt pulley that was on my car (8v, AC no PS) - I know - I took the alt too!
I ended up needing three parts
alt arm (its bent so its spaced out futher)
WP pulley
crank pulley
Ya then take OFF the AC, take OFF that HUGE cast iron plate thingie and bolt the alt to the small upper bracket that held the plate in at the top.
Bought a new belt for the non AC non PS cars. - good to go....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts