VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 02' 1.8T now has 2000km on it, and I know that the book reccomends waiting until 8000km for the first change, I have heard from a few friends that in the first few thousand km, the rings tend to shed some shavings, so I have decided to change my oil. I went to my dealership, and the service guy said that the oil change would be $100 (CND) because only synth oil should be used in the 1.8T. They charge $10 per litre of oil. I can buy my own for $5 to $6 per litre, but am unsure of what oil to get. Should I get full synth, or a mix? Does anybody have any advice as to a good name for oil. I see a lot of commercials for Castrol Syntec. Is that stuff any good?
Can anybody help this poor ignorant VW lover?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (essemm)

Use a conventional oil until at least 12,000kms. For Ottawa 5W30 is fine......after that you can go to a 5W40 Synthetic
This is what I did...
I changed my GTI's oil at 1000kms/600miles and used Valvoline All Climate 5W30
Changed it again at 5000kms/3000miles and used Valvoline All Climate 5W30
Dealer changed it at 8000kms/5000 iles and used Valvoline All Climate 5W30
Ran that up to 12,000kms/7500miles and changed it myself with Texaco Havoline Formula 3 Synthetic 5W40.....
Ever since she has been running flawless!....I got 22,000kms/13,600miles on it now http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Tugz_Vr6, 11:21 AM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

You can save yourself a fair amount of money by purchasing a case of the oil you intend to use, and then take that with you for the dealer to use in the oil change. That way you don't get raped by the dealer for the cost of synthetic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (BoraVR6)

If you posted this in the TDI forum everyone would tell you to wait, because changing oil too early can introduce a level of anti-wear additives into the crankcase that can actually prevent the proper seating of the rings. Sometimes good oil is a little too good, plus the high metal content of the oil may actually be usefull to the break-in process.
The oil filters should be more than adequate to catch anything bad.
But it is your car, and there is the remote possibility your friends may actually know more than the VW engineers who spend a lot of money every year testing these engines and studying the data from the field to determine the best choice for service intervals for each country based on consumer habits.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (Sun Baked Golf)

PLEASE don't change your oil before the first 8000km's! The factory oil is a specific blend that assists with the break-in period. There is no point changing your oil before 8000km's. period.
And with the 1.8T's, use synthetic at your 8000km change. There is absolutely NOTHING bad that can happen by using synthetic (it's designed to be superior than dino oil anyway.) Synthetic is good. But wait until 8000km's!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (flanders)

Another note:
which dealer are you going to? Firstly, if you wait until 8000km's it's a FREE oil change. And I know the guys at citiwest use synthetic if you've got a 1.8T....that's where I go, and had no problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I have heard many many times not to put synthetic in your engine until at least 10,000 miles. (16K km) From what I've heard, the rings don't properly seat. Also, the owner's manual says nothing about having to use synthetic...only that you should use 5w-40, if memory serves.
However, IMHO, I can't imagine it takes 10,000 miles for rings to completely seat.

[Modified by Justin1.8T, 5:48 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (Justin1.8T)

"I have heard many many times" doesn't count for much. Do you know the differences between synth and dino oil? Come on! There is absolutely NO reason not to use it! I do believe the factory oil is synth in our cars though...with lots of additives.
edit: sorry -- don't mean to be rude http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by flanders, 8:51 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Banned
32,048 Posts

I've always run either Mobile 1 or Castrol Syntec syntheic oils in my Porsches', and it has nevered fail to provide adaquate potection, no gumming/waxes, and stays stable even high-stress evironments (air cooled).
Wait until hte engine breaks-in first (5K miles min). If you choose the right oil, make sure you use a QUALITY FILTER, or you might as well use Pep Boys 88c / qt oil!

·
Registered
15,472 Posts

red line oil all the way baby!!!!!
ohh ....oem oil filter is the same as others ....... no diffrences at all
no gian horsepower even if u use a race bred oil filter
they are all the same

[Modified by kyokoris, 3:06 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
8,403 Posts

Go to the BMW dealer and get their synthetic 5W-30. It's $3.80 (USD) per quart.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]PLEASE don't change your oil before the first 8000km's! The factory oil is a specific blend that assists with the break-in period. There is no point changing your oil before 8000km's. period.
And with the 1.8T's, use synthetic at your 8000km change. There is absolutely NOTHING bad that can happen by using synthetic (it's designed to be superior than dino oil anyway.) Synthetic is good. But wait until 8000km's![HR][/HR]​
Flanders, how sure are you of this?? VW really puts a special kind of "break-in" oil inside your engine from the factory??
I changed my oil at the 2000km mark, not to synthetic tho, just VW dealer oil. Are all those metallic deposits in the oil in the first 2000 kms actualyl GOOD for the engine until 8000kms???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Which oil should I choose? (BananaCo)

It's your choice, believe the "old wives tales" or the actual engineers that designed the engine. There are even articles around if you search.
TDR Article - Rings and Break-In
quote:[HR][/HR]A special problem of our era is the failed break-in. This can be the result of "babying" during break-in -- steady driving at very low speed and load. This can be made worse by high-tech anti-wear additives in modern oils. Such additives form solid metallic soap films on engine friction surfaces. These films have much lower friction than metal on metal, and can withstand several passes at high pressures like 90,000 psi before they are gouged away. The films are sacrificial - they yield at much lower force than does the underlying part - and they re-form as long as there is additive remaining in the oil. They can affect break-in by being able to carry the local load before the piston rings have worn into full contact with the cylinders. The ring, in effect, develops polished areas and then the break-in stops. For this reason, some engines are supplied with special break-in oil already in place, to be changed after a specified period. Such oil contains less anti-wear protection, so that break-in can occur more easily.[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by Sun Baked Golf, 8:52 PM 12-2-2001]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.