VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember reading some vortexers using valvoline 5 w40 in there cars(did a search but no luck). i cant find that weight over here so my decision is between castrol syntec 5w50 and mobil 1 15w50. can anyone tell me which one is better for my climate(nj cold winters hot summers)thanx in advance

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (VictorRyan6)

VictorRyan6:
If you are thinking of using synthetic oil, I would definitely go with Mobil 1, depending on you car and how many miles you have on it and how hard have you driven your car....
If it is a high mileage car 75k plus go with 15w-50 although the 10w-30 would be better for your weather conditions....
If it is a low mileage below 75K then go with the 10w-30
My car has 50K and I have been using synthetic oil since I bought the car specially Mobil 1, and I recently had a blown gasket and the engine inside was like new...

[Modified by Vento FI, 8:37 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which synthetic is better? (Vento FI)

Vento.. i've always used synthetic(mobil 1 10w30)but after reading several posts and as my car has accumulated milage i decided it was time for a change. what is the difference in weights between the oils. an employee at local automotive store said 5w50 and 15w50 were the same. i need some facts!

[Modified by VictorRyan6, 5:03 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
8,246 Posts

Mobil 1 10w30 works best for me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (Uncle Ben)

I am also in NJ, I talked with someone on the board about the valvoline 5 w40 and he said he went to the local NAPA parts and had them order him a case... I will try it when I have time..
Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,361 Posts

No one wants to order me 5-40 Valvo-reem.
Engine ran too loud with Mobil1 10W30, too hot with 15W50
Right now, I mix 3qt 10W30 Mobil1 with 2.5qt 15W50 Mobil1 and it works great.

·
Registered
245 Posts

I HAVE DRAG RACED MINE AND HARD STREET DRIVING FOR 52,000 AND HAVE ALWAYS USED THE VW FACTORY RECOMMENDED CASTROL SYNTEC 5W-40. IT WORKS GREAT. VW PART # ZVW-352-540-S. YOUR DEALER WILL HAVE PLENTY OF THIS IN STOCK. BY THE WAY 5W AND 15W ARE NOT THE SAME. STICK WITH THE 5W.

[Modified by rogergti, 4:15 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,361 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (rogergti)

Your car must be really loud.
I can't think of any other reason why you CAN'T STOP YELLING.

·
Registered
245 Posts

here, now you can have a happy life. AND I DON'T KNOW ABOUT LOUD, but, it is FASTER than yours

[Modified by rogergti, 7:53 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
44 Posts

Has anyone looked into Mobil 1's new 0w40? What drain intervals do you guys run?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (MIA)

How do you select the grade of oil to use in your car? I'm seeing recommendations for 5w50, 10w30, 15w40, etc. How do you decide?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Which synthetic is better? (bobby_t1)

i guess you just have to try them all and see which one works best. i've used 10w30 i've also tried the 0w 40. can i get amsoil from the dealer?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i guess you just have to try them all and see which one works best. i've used 10w30 i've also tried the 0w 40. can i get amsoil from the dealer?[HR][/HR]​
Trying them all seems a bit too involved. I mean what do most ppl in the pacific northwest (seattle, WA) area run?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (bobby_t1)

1st thing...did you do a search? This topic is almost beaten to death on vortex. Check it out. 2nd thing...definately Mobil1, and I use 0w30. I live in MN and the winters get very cold. However in the summer I use 15w40 as it is much more resistant to thermal breakdown, and I can drive hard withou the engine getting hot.

Erik

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: Which synthetic is better? (Vento FI)

VictorRyan6:
10w-30 Mobil 1 would go from temp. -45°F to 475°F so if you think that you are going to race in the summer your car then, the oil wouldn't brake its viscosity until 475°F and at the same time you can have a not that heavy oil for winter...
I was checking the http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp and the 0w-40 looks that is the best oil for performance on FI car and in Europe (Very cold weather) specially by the most popular car manufactures in Europe like Audi, Porsche, BMW, Saab, Volvo and of course VW...
So if the 0w-40 has the best of both worlds the light weight (0w) and the viscosity to protect in high temp. (40) Then I think that the 10w-30 would be your best choice in your case, if you are thinking of driving hard your car, in witch I think you would, then I would take 10w-30 any day of the year...

BTW Oil change on synthetic oil is every 6k

[Modified by Vento FI, 9:03 PM 11-28-2001]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts