VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am conducting a survey for school about which attributes customers value the most when buying tires. I would really appreciate all answers regarding the picture above!

It would also be a great help if you told why you chose a certain option.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi everyone!
View attachment 79946

I am conducting a survey for school about which attributes customers value the most when buying tires. I would really appreciate all answers regarding the picture above!

Thank you for your help!
Cappari,

Two or five. I love Falken. Have them on my MKIII Jetta and my Volvo. Continental, Kumho, Falkens are my faves. $380 for ONE tire? That's just stupid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cappari,

Two or five. I love Falken. Have them on my MKIII Jetta and my Volvo. Continental, Kumho, Falkens are my faves. $380 for ONE tire? That's just stupid.
Thank you for answering! :) If you only had to choose one, would you choose 2 or 5?

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,560 Posts
Hi everyone!
View attachment 79946

Thank you for your help!
Option 2, I want the ability to buy the same tire over and over, for years to come. Too often I buy a set of tires, find that I like them, only to be told they are no longer available when I need another set. That is what you mean by sustainability, right?

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
360 Posts
While I understand the purpose of your homework, those numbers associated with the "options" have no practical application in the real world...
Any tire robbing your pockets of $ 380 should have HIGH Fuel Efficiency...
By the same token a $ 150 tire should provide riding comfort no matter the "brand"...
However, to help your cause:
for me it would be No. 1 Option, definitely...
Good luck with your assignment.

Here's an example (feel free to share it with your professor...)
I have a set of OHTSU tires on the wagon for 7000 miles now and the COMFORT is something I haven't expected from a cheap tire. Moreover, I'm at about 28 mpg in mixed driving: 60 % highway/40% town, which is very good for an engine that quite a few snotty "heavy footers" discard as a "slug" with bad gas mileage...

(the brand is the "cheaper" line of tires manufactured by Falken)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Option 2, I want the ability to buy the same tire over and over, for years to come. Too often I buy a set of tires, find that I like them, only to be told they are no longer available when I need another set. That is what you mean by sustainability, right?
Thank you for answering! :) That makes sense. What I actually mean by sustainability in this context, is sustainable production process of the tires, including e.g. use of renewable materials, responsible sourcing, sustainable waste and emissions management etc.. Does this rise any thoughts for you? Is this kind of sustainability important for you when choosing which tires to buy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I understand the purpose of your homework, those numbers associated with the "options" have no practical application in the real world...
Any tire robbing your pockets of $ 380 should have HIGH Fuel Efficiency...
By the same token a $ 150 tire should provide riding comfort no matter the "brand"...
However, to help your cause:
for me it would be No. 1 Option, definitely...
Good luck with your assignment.

Here's an example (feel free to share it with your professor...)
I have a set of OHTSU tires on the wagon for 7000 miles now and the COMFORT is something I haven't expected from a cheap tire. Moreover, I'm at about 28 mpg in mixed driving: 60 % highway/40% town, which is very good for an engine that quite a few snotty "heavy footers" discard as a "slug" with bad gas mileage...

(the brand is the "cheaper" line of tires manufactured by Falken)

View attachment 80044
Thanks for the reply and comments! :)

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,560 Posts
Thank you for answering! :) That makes sense. What I actually mean by sustainability in this context, is sustainable production process of the tires, including e.g. use of renewable materials, responsible sourcing, sustainable waste and emissions management etc.. Does this rise any thoughts for you? Is this kind of sustainability important for you when choosing which tires to buy?
I mean if it's disclosed while I'm shopping sure, but it's usually a non-issue. I prefer to buy American made tires (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Cooper, as well as some Pirelli and Yokohama brands are made here in the states) but it's not a deal breaker as my usual checklist values price over a lot of other factors.

·
Registered
158 Posts
None of those are real world determining factors that would sway me one tire or another. I want to see hard performance numbers and detailed specs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean if it's disclosed while I'm shopping sure, but it's usually a non-issue. I prefer to buy American made tires (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Cooper, as well as some Pirelli and Yokohama brands are made here in the states) but it's not a deal breaker as my usual checklist values price over a lot of other factors.
Thank you for answering! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts