Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Audi S4

Votes: 170 89.5%
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Audi A3 S-Line and will probably be selling the car towards the end of the year.

I was originally leaning toward a coupe but I like the rear doors in terms of utility for family and stuff. Have to have either FWD or AWD drive. My girlfriend (soon to be wife) will occasionally drive the car and she is terrified of RWD. And no manual transmission either.

My top 2 selections are the BMW 335i xDrive and the Audi S4. I know the Audi is bigger and in magazine tests was preferred over the BMW. I love the look of the new BMW's since they de-Bangle-ized it in 2009. Both cars will be similar in price when I am done.

So hit me with opinions?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Between the 2 the S4. With traction and stability control on modern cars your soon to be wife shouldn't be too scared of RWD, also they don't make RWD kitchens.

·
Premium Member
13,711 Posts
I love the look of the new BMW's since they de-Bangle-ized it in 2009. Both cars will be similar in price when I am done.
? It's the same as before. All the LCI did was revise the tailights a bit and add a slightly tweaked front lip and headlights, but it's the same as before. So no, it hasn't been "de-Bangle-ized" and I'm happy for that. I think it looks great. However, my vote went for the S4. I think it's a better package overall, and if you get the Sport Rear Diff option, it's quite an advanced awd system.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Exterior wise its kind of a toss up between the two, love both of their designs. Interior wise, S4 hands down. Audi's AWD system would be better than BMWs'.

Otherwise it would really just be a preference of having a turbo vs supercharger.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
theres just something about a 335xi with the M-Sport Package. The S4 looks very pedestrian while the BMW looks muscular. I really like the idea of better factory customization with the BMW. You pick your specific color for each part of the vehicle. The S4 just has large bundled packages.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Based on the information I have read, I would be stay away from a BMW. I get Roundel as a CCA member and one of the most common letters is the reliability. I would only get the BMW if you know you will keep it within the warranty period.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't really understand the point of the 335xi, optioned out it's almost M3 $$$...why not just go for the M3? and that get's you a RS4 competitor with 100 more hp?

Unless you are concerned about the V8 mpg..or your buying a bare bones 335xi sedan ...I dont see why you can't spend a few more grand on the real deal M3 sedan ...especially If your willing to spend few more grand on the S4 you are almost there for an M3.... and I think M3 comes with more options standard that you have to pay for with a 335i...

2011 Audi S4 3.0T Premium Plus Sedan quattro - MSRP $47,100 Invoice $43,804
2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive - $43,100 Invoice $39,650
2011 BMW M3 Sedan - $55,900 Invoice $51,430
2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C63 AMG Sport Sedan - $58,200 Invoice N/A

M3 standard features not on regular 3 series..

Engine Block Heater
Windshield Wiper Activated Headlights
Rear Spoiler
Rear Air Dam
Oil Gauge
Trunk or Interior Load Area Light
Front Floor Mats
Leather Seats
Cargo Area Tiedowns
Automatic Tilt Down Exterior Mirror
Tinted Glass
Valet Lockout

Not to mention M3 keeps it's value almost as good as the C63 AMG which is much better then S4

my .02$:laugh:

·
Registered
24,124 Posts
Exterior wise its kind of a toss up between the two, love both of their designs. Interior wise, S4 hands down. Audi's AWD system would be better than BMWs'.

Otherwise it would really just be a preference of having a turbo vs supercharger.
I'd honestly trust the reliability of the Audi over the BMW in this case... unless BMW has finally figured out the HPFP issue completely?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
AWD? Just a guess....
The real question is, how many days a year do you anticipate to be driving in snow? Any major city here in northeast gets the roads cleaned within a 24 hour period.
Would you really want to drive your 335xi in 2 ft of snow?
I'm sure you can afford another beater to drive on the really snowy days.
good driving ,snow tires is ok for most snow climates.

you will still need snow tires for an Xi since it will do jack on summer tires even with awd...

or unless you live on a steep hill theres no comparison here...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'd honestly trust the reliability of the Audi over the BMW in this case... unless BMW has finally figured out the HPFP issue completely?
I think in his case its not as big of a deal since both cars would be new (seemingly?), thus having a warranty should he have any issues. Then again, it would be annoying to constantly have to take the car to the dealer if he was having HPFP issues.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
No contest IMO. S4 all the way. Have you seen that interior?

Warranty + Maintenance is on both, so you'd be all set from that angle either way.

·
Registered
24,124 Posts
I think in his case its not as big of a deal since both cars would be new (seemingly?), thus having a warranty should he have any issues. Then again, it would be annoying to constantly have to take the car to the dealer if he was having HPFP issues.
Right... I'm not as concerned about paying for the issues as I am having to deal with going to the dealership unexpectedly.

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
I don't really understand the point of the 335xi, optioned out it's almost M3 $$$...why not just go for the M3?
The same could be said for any BMW. loaded up 135i coists more then a base 335i. loaded up 5er costs more then a base 7 series, etc etc etc.

A 335i that costs 56K will have a ton of stuff a base m3 will not. Outside of that...a base M3 would be a special order car as no one stocks them. Most M3's you see at lots are in the 70K range.

·
Banned
33,650 Posts
Neither of them really do it for me, I'd have a hard time forking over $50k give or take on either. Interior wise Audi ruined the B8 imo, i really dislike their new layout. While I like the more basic approach of the BMW my mother in law has one and it leaves me underwhelmed. I'd just keep the A3 and the money.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.