VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking for a torque wrench for x-mas. I only want one, but I'd like to be able to use it for the most applications. Craftsman has wrenches that go 5-80, 20-150, and 50-250. I'm thinking the 5-80 w/ a 3/8 driver would be the best for the simple work I can do (brakes, suspension, etc.). Am I right?
Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Re: Which torque wrench for most applications? (VR66m!)

i dunno... i can't ever remember having to torque something to less than 20...
wait... no... 15#'s on a throttle body i did once...
i dunno... either the 5-80 or the 20-150... and i agree with the 3/8 drive. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Which torque wrench for most applications? (VR66m!)

Go for something bigger than the 5-80 3/8 inch unit. I'd reccomend the 20 - 150 unit as a starter. That's the one I have.
I'd reccomend it over the 5-80 unit for a few reasons:
1) It's bigger and (IMHO at least) easier to use
2) You're gonna need settings near or over 80 ft-lbs more often than you think (look at the torque value for the wheel lug nuts or some of the other bigger bolts in the suspension/brake area)
3) Again IMHO, you really don't need a torque wrench for settings under 20 ft/lbs. There aren't any "critical" torques that spring to mind that are that low.
Whichever size you get, read the directions and practice on something non-fragile a couple times. Torque wrenches are great, but they take a certain "touch" to use them correctly, and they're a lot more fragile than you'd think. I've wrecked them in a few different ways before. Also, try to get a feel for torques on your own once you have the wrench to compare to. I almost never use mine any more, except for instances when torque is pretty critical, like head bolts or stuff like that.
-Nate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts