VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my (*&^(*&(*&^* dilema.
As some of you may know my GTi has been stored since July 2002 due to an increase in my insurance. Since then all my tickets have dropped and I have a squeaky clean record. HOWEVER, due to insurance increases the cheapest I can find is 6500 a year to insure my GTI.
Our Cabriolet, a 1993, currently under my gf's policy will be switched to my policy, as she has had too many accidents! It will cost me $4,500 a year to insure the car.
I'm thinking.. WTF! W as in Why, woudl I want to pay those sons of ******* $4,500 a year for a 10 year old slow ass car!!!!! **** them!.

I'm thinking it may be best to just buy a used bike and pay reasonable insurance. (1k a year to me is reasonable.) In the winter, I'll just dress warmer and use the TTC.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Re: Which vehicle should I buy? That's right! Notice it says Vehicle not Car!!! (cdn20VALVE)

how old are you dude...
with a clean record and you got $6500 a year?? holy crap..
i have a faulty claim a year ago.... and my rate is $3000 for a Jetta VR6
maybe you should consider getting a Jetta rather than a GTI... but i don't think it would be that much difference anyway... call a few more insurance company

· Registered
140 Posts
Re: Which vehicle should I buy? That's right! Notice it says Vehicle not Car!!! (cdn20VALVE)

tough call man, i'm only a year older and my insurance is $2400, location being the difference I guess. Only you know what you can afford, sucks to have a new car that you can't drive.

· Registered
2,312 Posts
Re: Which vehicle should I buy? That's right! Notice it says Vehicle not Car!!! (wh1te_rabbiT)

Dude you need to call around more.. those rates are BS. I'm the same age, same car, but have two minors still on my record and my rate is currently $3500 (still high, but not insane). What companies hvae you called?? Do some more comparing and put your GTI back on the road!

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Call bel-air direct. they saved me 600 a year over my previous company.
lol sounds like a dam commercial.

· Registered
99 Posts
Re: Which vehicle should I buy? That's right! Notice it says Vehicle not Car!!! (CaptSandwich)

Please tell me, while you stored your car, you kept some amount of insurance, ANY insurance in YOUR name???
Because, if you didn't, you have gone past the "6 consecutive months without insurance". This happened to a buddy of mine, and he's been driving 13 years. It costs him $3K for a 72 Beetle.
What happens is that the insurance company considers you a "new" driver.
I hope this isn't your case, but a question I pose just the same.
I personally think that rule is a load of...

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Which vehicle should I buy? That's right! Notice it says Vehicle not Car!!! (sed8d)

Well sir, you are right. The car si insured for fire and theft but under my parents policy. ING would not allow me to insure the car for only fire and theft, so I had to leave ING and simply ask my parents if I could put the car under their policy.
So, it seems that I have restarted to 0.
This may explain why the rates are so high.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cdn20VALVE »
So, it seems that I have restarted to 0.
This may explain why the rates are so high.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Buy the motorcylce for the summer and see what good old Ernie can do with the insurance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.