VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I might be diving into a timing chain job on my R32 in the coming weeks and wanted to ask people with more knowledge than myself, what else should i replace while I'm in there? My Mk5 R32 only has 69k miles on it but the chains are making quite a bit of noise already. I should've replaced the chains when I did my manual swap about 6 months ago but elected not to because I'm lazy and cheap. Now its biting me in the ass but I guess that's what I get lmao. Gonna be replacing my valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold and all timing chain pieces. Is there anything else I should do?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
312 Posts
@Beason58

69k miles is pretty early for a chain job. Have you checked for chain stretch/cam offset in VCDS? VW Says anything +/- 7 degrees is an immediate chain job (don't even start the engine type). 5 or 6 degrees and it should be done pretty soon.

if you did a manual swap you definitely should have done chains :)

Only other thing I can think of would be rear main seal that's behind the timing covers.

Other stuff would be Gruven parts metal crack pipe and metal thermostat housings. Since you'll have half the crap out of the engine bay. Check all the coolant/oil lines to see if they're getting hard/brittle.

Also come join the VW R32 Owners group on facebook. Way more fun and active www.facebook.com/groups/vwr32/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Beason58

69k miles is pretty early for a chain job. Have you checked for chain stretch/cam offset in VCDS? VW Says anything +/- 7 degrees is an immediate chain job (don't even start the engine type). 5 or 6 degrees and it should be done pretty soon.

if you did a manual swap you definitely should have done chains :)

Only other thing I can think of would be rear main seal that's behind the timing covers.

Other stuff would be Gruven parts metal crack pipe and metal thermostat housings. Since you'll have half the crap out of the engine bay. Check all the coolant/oil lines to see if they're getting hard/brittle.

Also come join the VW R32 Owners group on facebook. Way more fun and active www.facebook.com/groups/vwr32/
Thanks for the reply man. Im actually a member of the facebook group already but i prefer the anonymity of the forum. The chain job is fairly early but im certain the chains are making quite a racket so im going to go ahead and replace them. I already purchased a set of Michael Underhill exhaust manifolds to replace the OEM ones. Since I was going to be taking off the intake manifold to do the exhaust, i figured it would be easy enough to go a few steps further and get the chains done as well. I have not checked the chain stretch on VCDS but the noise theyre making bugs me enough to replace them now rather than waiting until they NEED to be done. As for the rear main, that was replaced when I did my manual swap and i believe the timing chain kit im buying comes with a new rear main.

·
Registered
312 Posts
for anonimity you make a separate facebook account or another persona in facebook :) You can always edit your name in facebook.

you shouldn't be worried about that really. The Owners group is super helpful and everyone is cool there. I am one of the moderators, we don't tolerate ass hats in there.

Thanks for the reply man. Im actually a member of the facebook group already but i prefer the anonymity of the forum. The chain job is fairly early but im certain the chains are making quite a racket so im going to go ahead and replace them. I already purchased a set of Michael Underhill exhaust manifolds to replace the OEM ones. Since I was going to be taking off the intake manifold to do the exhaust, i figured it would be easy enough to go a few steps further and get the chains done as well. I have not checked the chain stretch on VCDS but the noise theyre making bugs me enough to replace them now rather than waiting until they NEED to be done. As for the rear main, that was replaced when I did my manual swap and i believe the timing chain kit im buying comes with a new rear main.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts