VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed my pioneer hu a while back. every once in a while i get a whining sound. as you rev, the whining gets louder. ive been told that having the power and rca cables for the amp too close could cause that problem, wondering if there could be anything else. if i remember correctly, the power and rca cables were run on opposite sides of the car. tia

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: Whining sound through radio (vwgroundzero)

Opposite sides of the car is a good start. Keep signal wires as far from power/ground wires at all points in the car including, if possible, at the back of the HU. Also check your grounds. Inadequate grounds is another cause of engine noise. You can try moving the HU and amp grounds around to see if it helps.
Good luck. Engine noise can be very hard to trackdown/eliminate.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: Whining sound through radio (vwgroundzero)

A lot of people will tell you to keep RCA cables separated from power wires and yes, thats a good idea, but I have never seen this cause whine. Alternator whine is usually caused by a "ground loop" that is having two paths to ground. In a typical setup, you have a headunit with power and ground connections (usually using the factory harness with an adapter) connected to an amp via RCA cables with the amp is connected to the battery for power and the chassis for ground.
Now when using the factory stereo harness for ground you have a few mechanical connections on the ground: First the factory ground wire can be several feet, then you connect to an adapter harness, then to the stereo's harness, then to the stereo. The RCAs on the other hand go from the stereo to the amp and usually have a lower resistance. If you connect the aftermarket stereo's ground lead straight to a good chassis ground point and connect the amp's ground straight to chassis, you will often get good results. Good Luck!

Modified by vedubau at 6:30 AM 5-22-2004

1 - 4 of 4 Posts