VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up all............ok well i just recharged my AC, and i've never used it before this on my car.............when i turn the AC, for the first few minutes, i'll get a whining noise, i think it's the belt for the compressor, but i'm really not sure, how can i tighten/replace it?? i did a quick look in the Bentley but coudlnt find anything under AC section.............also my car seems a bit slower w/ acceleration w/ the AC on......is this a normal thing??? haven't had an 8v VW w/ AC before........TIA!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Re: Whining w/ the AC (DJMadhatter)

Mine makes an annoying whining-buzzing sound all the time. It is the a/c condensor (I've been told) and when I turn it on the noise slighty goes down and during acceleration with the a/c on I get less power. But that's with most cars anyway.

·
Registered
42,929 Posts
Re: Whining w/ the AC (DJMadhatter)

the power loss is normal. check the belts and see if theyre really old or really loose. the a/c compressor pivots on a few bolts to adjust tension on its belt. but before you can get to those bolts you gotta take the alt off or move it out of the way.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Re: Whining w/ the AC (ValveCoverGasket)

Can also mean your a/c clutch is going out in the housing....needs to be fully replaced....

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Re: Whining w/ the AC (Mackie-1604)

check the belts, if they're old replace them.
and you gonna be slower on any car with the ac on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts