VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a different direction with my GTI, than i have with past cars. I'm looking to make a quick, daily, autox, pocono-able car.

who does autox events or goes to clubs at road courses? im trying to see what setups people are running, and how well it seems to work.

right now the GTI is stock, aside from poly dogbone inserts, which are a MUST HAVE. but i plan on doing suspension work, as well as bumping engine power up a bit.

so humor me please.... show me what you're working with:

·
Registered
740 Posts
i use my coablt when i want to go fast or handle. thing handles so much better than a mk4 gti out of the box and tune and exhaust i put down 300 wheel. but i assume its possible to do these cars up and make them handle well

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
when i was autocrossing and doing track days my setup was pretty simple
Peloquin Torsion differential (LSD)
BFI stage two transmission and motor mounts
ECS poly dogbone mount
R32 rear control arm bushings
BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport 225/50/16's on stock 16's (stock tire is 205/55/16)
Koni Cup Kit (Koni yellow shocks, 5 way adjustable, Koni blue springs (1.5" drop))
Strut/shock tuning: all the way stiff in the front (5) medium in the rear (3) to minimize understeer and give it more of a tendency to get the back end a little bit loose (more predictable)
and thats about it, no power upgrades or anything
when i ran auto-x i was only about .2-.4 behind the fastest mazdaspeed3's which have roughly 80-100 hp more than my AWW 1.8t (155hp on a good cold day with a slight breeze behind me and on a downhill) and both my car and the MS3's were classed DSP (d-street prepared)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know what i mean.

im just not really into the whole slammed tucked stretched bull**** anymore. show cars are a waste of time. i enjoy driving. not having to cringe over speed bumps. i've done that for 4 years.

now, dood with the cobalt... idk how you car works so well, but my buddy has a S/C SS cobalt, and it drives like utter poo. granted its stock, but my gti would corner circles around it, with over 2x the miles.

plus, the clutch is like a damn coil spring. too short of travel, and way too stiff.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
i use my coablt when i want to go fast or handle. thing handles so much better than a mk4 gti out of the box and tune and exhaust i put down 300 wheel. but i assume its possible to do these cars up and make them handle well
cobalts are sick but your gti probably cost hell of a lot less and with a nice big turbo you will have plenty more power than a cobalt for cheaper. Coils and sway bars front and back with good tires your car should handle just fine.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cobalts are sick but your gti probably cost hell of a lot less and with a nice big turbo you will have plenty more power than a cobalt for cheaper. Coils and sway bars front and back with good tires your car should handle just fine.
cobalts suck. its a cavalier, and they've been ****ty for 10+ years. and before you say, dont hate until you try it, i have. and i hate them. stock they are dog slow and drive like ****, esp on those 18s

Im planning on running some form of coils, and RSB, but stock front. it doesnt need any more up front. i need the rear stiffer, oversteer>understeer

·
997.2 911 C2, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E
12,917 Posts
The Cobalt SS is one of the best fwd handling platforms so idk about that :)

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Ive done auto-xs on a summer basis... prob 2 or 3 a summer. I also go on alot of cruises through the mountain roads and everything... As far as handling:

All i got is a rear sway bar and Dirreza Starspec tires from Dunlop on the stock BBS RCs. Definitly body roll still in hard corners, and the inside rear wheel lifts on occasion... but it handles ok.

future:
Coils of the performance nature
Poly bushings
poly engine mounts
Strut Bar - doesn't do anything except look good (maybe)
H2sport spindles
Camber plates
Hotchkis sways both ends... gonna sell my neuspeed rear.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I daily my GTI VR6, and in terms of power and handling its a great daily.

Whoever said a cobalt out-handles the GTI needs to be shot, yeah the SS might be faster, but the MKIV GTI is a better car all around.

·
997.2 911 C2, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E
12,917 Posts
I daily my GTI VR6, and in terms of power and handling its a great daily.

Whoever said a cobalt out-handles the GTI needs to be shot, yeah the SS might be faster, but the MKIV GTI is a better car all around.
Uh, it's not even a question. Here are the numbers to prove it. "Better car all around" is very subjective but when it comes to being fast out of the box and handling well, the Cobalt SS is the best fwd option. (I happen to really dislike GM products but have to acknowledge a fast car when it's truly fast)

Check out these Nurburgring times. The cars that the SS is faster than and the cars in that general area are much more expensive and generally much higher end cars. Stock MK4s or even race prepped ones wouldn't come that close

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for the record. i dont want this to be a cobalt debate.

if i wanted to drive an orange car with a bullsh!t wing and a crap powerband that costs 10k too much, i would.

point is, i want a autox-able car and i want to see who's done what, and what works.

also, for what its worth, the vr6 in the mk4 is too front heavy. thats why i got the 1.8t

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uh, it's not even a question. Here are the numbers to prove it. "Better car all around" is very subjective but when it comes to being fast out of the box and handling well, the Cobalt SS is the best fwd option. (I happen to really dislike GM products but have to acknowledge a fast car when it's truly fast)

Check out these Nurburgring times. The cars that the SS is faster than and the cars in that general area are much more expensive and generally much higher end cars. Stock MK4s or even race prepped ones wouldn't come that close

well, cant really argue with the list, but in the SS cobalts i've driven, they havent been good driving cars at all.
as far as overall car quality, they are garbage. the interior's on those cars are some of the cheapest i've seen in a car that costs 20k. its pretty pathetic.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.