VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that I've had my VW for some time now and yes, it's suspension had been modified for just as long. During the whole time that all of the stock equipment was on it's way out and the BMW M5 handling suspention was going in
, I could not help but ask myself who designed this front and rear suspension.
Now the only thing I will say about the rear end is that I curse VW for not implementing an independent rear. I mean to build a car so far ahead of anything in its class only to cheat on the rear, disappointing to say the least.
As for the front, what is the deal with the gap between the top strut cap and the tower. ridiculous! My front suspension pounds over anything more then a freeway expansion joint. There is a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the bottom of the strut cap and the top of the strut tower. The front end is just kind of floating there and that strut cap is pounding on that tower when you go into a pothole and the strut mount pounds on the tower when you come out of that of that pothole.
Not only that but a Civic done up with same components will handle ten times better. I know this because my rice loving cousin has one and it's handling capabilities make me ill. Ill as they may make me feel though, I have to give the rice burner it's just dues.
I would love some feed back on what you guys think.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,011 Posts
Re: Who designed the suspension on these things??... (VWcrazed1976)

I think you need to spend more time in this forum.
Setup correctly, VW's have excellent handling.
However, as everyone here will tell you, there is a classic battle between looks and MAXIMUM performance. Ask yourself where you stand and you will know where to go.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts

if your strut caps are pounding like that, something's wrong with your car. not the design of the suspension.
if you did some research, or maybe just took a good look at the strut cap, you would understand the gap needs to be there, or the car wouldn't go anywhere but in a straight line.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Who designed the suspension on these things??... (gotta_jet)

Yes I understand that with the current disign if the gap was not ther the car would only go straight but there are other ways. How about a bearing under the cap with a camber kit installed?

·
Registered
310 Posts

well you could put in camber plates in the top which eliminate the buffer if I am thinking right that the gap you are reffering to. To me it sound like yours are just worn I replaced mine with the VR6 kit and have no more clunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts