VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
i feel ya... i told my girlfriend i am going to buy a prepaid phone for any future craigslist transactions.... seriously

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Have fun with that when he shows the police the explicit death threat sent to him from your phone number.
lol. he wont. he started it and obviously is way too stupid, if i'm not on here in a while then you know i've been arrested :laugh:

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
I just sold my Xterra on craigslist. It was flagged 6 times! No reason either. I've been in the car biz for 14 years, and the worst was when I was trying to sell a 92 Fox...sold the car for $2000 with only 67K miles. Saw the chick out a bar a few weeks later and she proceeded to launch on me tell me the car needed shocks, a clutch, and a list of misc. that was her being a nit picky princess C UNT that wanted a new car or a restored VW Fox...:screwy: She started to scream at me, I looked at the bartender and said "I'm done." He promptly kicked her out. :laugh:

The Xterra had 2 calls.

Once the guy never called.
The second time, guy calls and make a cash offer, I accepted. Shows up and is a nice older guy in a new Lexus ES. Wants the truck as a 3rd car for him/wife. Proceeds to offer me 500 off his ACCEPTED OFFER...then bumps himself $300, then says "I'll think about it." I said "That's fine but, if it's not sold over the weekend, I'm selling it Monday to my dealer buddy."

He paid the agreed amount.

it's called the take away close. :p

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,857 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
As a seller, you have the right to sell to whomever you please. Personally I wouldn't (and don't) waste my valuable time with people like the OP mentioned.

On the flipside, I recently picked up a MKIV for a daily beater driver after searching for about 4 months. The process was excruciating. I could not get passed the number of people asking extraordinary amounts for their heaps of garbage, thinking their mods added 30-40% to the value of the car. Sellers need to understand their vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There’s a reason why there are numerous “MUST SELL” threads that have been bumped for months on end.

Other words of obvious and common wisdom are: chances are your car is worth less than what your asking price is; chances are you’ll buy a car for more than you originally planned for.

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
False.

Motorcycles. Specifically, sporting Japanese motorcycles with asking prices below $5k are far, far worse. The douchecanoes that call on those things are beyond anything I have ever delt with while selling a car.
Is that like a volcano of douche, or just a canoe of douche?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
As a seller, you have the right to sell to whomever you please. Personally I wouldn't (and don't) waste my valuable time with people like the OP mentioned.

On the flipside, I recently picked up a MKIV for a daily beater driver after searching for about 4 months. The process was excruciating. I could not get passed the number of people asking extraordinary amounts for their heaps of garbage, thinking their mods added 30-40% to the value of the car. Sellers need to understand their vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There’s a reason why there are numerous “MUST SELL” threads that have been bumped for months on end.

Other words of obvious and common wisdom are: chances are your car is worth less than what your asking price is; chances are you’ll buy a car for more than you originally planned for.
very true. im asking above what my car is worth. i put it up as to what id sell it for. I have no need to sell the car but if the offer comes along that i cant pass up then i'll sell it. I have no intention on selling my car but i do it with every car i've owned and they ALWAYS sell, for my asking. i havent sold a car under my asking thus far. I'm sure i will with this car though.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
8,984 Posts
I either give my old cars to someone in my family who needs it more than I do, or trade it in so I don't have to deal with tire kickers.
When I sold my fun cars, I did it privately. It's too much work. It isn't worth my time to answer the telephone, set appointments and haggle with people over a what amounts to a small amount of money.

If I can give a car to people who need it and help someone in a tough spot, I save a lot of time and don't lose that much financially.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I put my old 92 Passat wagon on kijiji, Vortex, and Craigslist when I was selling it and had lots of rediculous 'offers'. One guy wanted to give me an old ATV and a pile of wood. I was asking $1000 for it and people were saying that 1992 was the worst year for Passats, and that since it was an automatic it was worthless, blah blah blah. Sold it to a nice 'texer for $900 and had a pleasant experience.

Probably gonna drive my wagon into the ground and part it out before I go through that again though.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts