VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any other VW Vortexers went to ImportFest 2001 yesterday.
I went, and stayed for several hours, although I was dissapointed with the low amount of VW's there. All I was doing the whole day was making routes from the Autobahn booth, to the yellow VR6 GTI III on the SkyDome floor, to the NeoStyle booth on the 100 level, and I couldn't stop looking at the GTI II, with the twin VR6 engines by Eurospeed - one under the hood, one in the trunk!
I thought that the show would be seperated into a full Euro section, with BMW's, Audi's, VW's, Porsche's, etc., from the Japanese/N.A. section. The show co-ordinators told me it would be this way, but I'm guessing it would have been too complicated to organize the cars in the SkyDome that way, since there isn't all too much room, and there wasn't all too much time.
All in all, the show, in my opinion, was decent. Although I don't admire Japanese cars, there were some nice Twin Turbo Nissan's, MR2's, Talon's, Eclipse's etc., there were some cars with great systems, interiors, and so on, but the car that stole the show, (at least in the Euro sector), was the blue MKIII GTI 2.0, with the massive turbo system designed by NeoStyle, (GTI2lo's car), and also the twin VR6 by Eurospeed, pumping out 300 HP (naturally aspirated) was also a show stopper in the Euro section, next to the other cars Eurospeed, Autobahn, and NeoStyle had there.
That's my show sum-up, if you guys went, what did you think about it? Maybe next year we should get the co-ordinators to even out the Japanese import scene with the Euro scene at the show!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (JettaMkIII)

I was at the show... but didn't end up staying too long. I saw a lot of examples of "what not to do" to a car. I did like the Fusion Audio Jetta though.
All in all I give it http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . Doubt I will go next year.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Did you see the civic hatch, with integra front end? Thats my buddy's car.. its fast like a mofo.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (94VWGolfGTI)

Had a view of the show from the hotel and I saw mabye 2 VW's. I saw the yellow one near the stage and thats it. Would have been very upset if I paid the $16 admission charge.
I also saw alot of things I will not do to my car.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (1.8T Baby)

VWGolfGTi --- yeah, Dan's (from PHANTOM Audio) Civic/Tegra/Supra mixture is looking pretty good, but he never shows anyone what he's got under the hood. Don't like that style. If you got the speed, why not show it off?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (1.8T Baby)

JettaMkIII- think my car stole the show for the Vw's? Thanks I thought I was in the Top three, but acording to the judges I got blanked!!! It's politics! How does one of the show promoters scirocco win hottest VW (blue one with preluede tails, etc rice) and take the award for first place golf/jetta. (pink/orange golf with integra front lenses and accord tail, half interior missing and paint brushed paint) also a show promoter win.
Also when I registered I was told there was categories for golf, jetta, other and golf mk1 mk2 mk3 and mk4 you get the picture. A lot of people are very upset!!!!
Was talking to the owner of eurospeed and the guys from evolution/altech and they said the show was a joke from the point of view of organization and judging. Crowds were good, which is good for business, but what about recognition of the $$$$$ that their costomers spent on their cars.
Anyways you can count on my to NOT PARTICIPATE in the show IMPORTFEST next year and I am going to spread the word to all that I know in the states not go! Believe me I know alot of people!! (After all I do promote darknights and travel to the states alot, so I know the promoters down there too, from NOPI, to Hot Import Nights, to Sport Compact Performance, and top Names in the industry. LJ Garcia, RJ deVera, BJ Britwell, Nuygen Tang(Absolute Imports) Well you get the picture.
This was a time to vent!!

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (GTI2lo)

I heard a hell of a lot of people were upset with the organizers of ImportFest. I don't know if its true or not, but I heard they had to be surrounded by security when they walked around because there were people after them. A lot of people felt they got screwed over. A lot of vendors who spent a lot of money for booths and were screwed around were really ticked off! Will there even be an ImportFest show next year?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (asylum)

GTI2lo... Honestly, before this event, I was all hyped-up about going there and stuff, and I went with two of my dub buddies. I found the show to be pure riced-out Honda's (sorry if I offended anyone). Even some of the Euros were riced-out too, like that baby blue Scirocco (the guy who showed up at the GTG's once when I was there). I don't know which Jetta you are talking about, but the only Jetta that was good at the show was the MK2, a gold colour, with MK4 VR6 rims, and a VR under the hood.
I don't think I will be heading-out to the ImportFest next year, if they have one. I will have my Jetta GT next year, (all done-up in Euro style), and me and my Dub buddies are thinking of driving down to H20 five. I'm sick of all the Honda's, Acura's and all the other riced-out cars stealing the Import-scene in Toronto, thinking that they are the Gods.
Your car in my opinion was the best there, out of the VW's.
Anyways, my friend with a GTi like yours is interested in doing the same engine set-up. He wants to spend the $6000 at once, and get the guy we talked to from NeoStyle to do the same set-up on his 2.0L. By the way, you owe me a drive this Friday. I'll be at the GTG @ ToyR-Us, and I want to see how fast your car really is!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Oh, yeah. I'm sending a flaming e-mail to the promotions organizer now about the non-Euro appeal of the show.
They are going to get a picture of my 2 cents.

·
Registered
805 Posts

You guys didn't even mention the best part of the show...MAX BOOST..only reason I wanted to go

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (Youngdubber4)

What's so good about MaxBoost?
Are you thinking of MaxPower maybe? (The recently changed-to ALL-EURO magazine!)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

GTi2lo
i saw your golf... it was sweet
did either of your friends place? (red golf white golf)
if not thats a PURE scam.. for sure at least one of you had to place in the top 3 cuz you all had 3 sick ass golfs!
hows the turbo set up running? have you run it yet? im real curious how it does
anywayz at least people got judged...
this year at darknights the whole subaru club got scammed.... they all paid for the show and only 3 got judged @ about 7pm on sunday!!?!?! WTF is that? and then kevin doesn't answers calls and bascially screwed like 30 people out of like 60-70 bucks each...
my friends in his REV LAB subaru got scammed too 2 importfest... everyone though he was going to place in the top 3 and he got blanked out as well...
i dont know..... very dissappointed this year with the shows..... maybe we should all move to the states...
yeah im with you gti2lo importfest was a pure scam...

[Modified by Neal, 9:54 PM 10-1-2001]

·
Registered
9,305 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Oh, yeah. I'm sending a flaming e-mail to the promotions organizer now about the non-Euro appeal of the show.
They are going to get a picture of my 2 cents.[HR][/HR]​
They probably won't care!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts

scam indeed!!!
that baby blue, waste of sheet metal piece of rotten turd won???????? how is that possible!!! MY GOD! what an abomination!!!
where are some toronto forums i can read up on this.. i've seen pureimports and DSCR but i think there's gotta be something else... i would be fuming if i lost to that scirocco.
this event was a piece of crap, and NOT worth the $20 admisison fee!! pathetic at best, that's for sure.
anyway, we need a nice euro show in toronto... any volounteers?
-danny

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (CageyBee)

I too was dissapointed with importfest, but I did get in for free just walked in at gate 11
. Too bad all the Vee Dubs there that I liked I see on a weekly basis, most of them live in my area!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (respectVW)

I'm up for organizing a all EURO import show next summer... But where should we hold it? ANyone else care to join in on this?

·
Registered
805 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What's so good about MaxBoost?
Are you thinking of MaxPower maybe? (The recently changed-to ALL-EURO magazine!)
[HR][/HR]​

MAX BOOST is a cartoon character...in Import Tuner
best comic as far as I'm concerned...it's pretty funny
be

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

Neal- The whole subarau thing was fixed the same night of the show, I was a miss understanding and everyone is cool now. They thought the judge didn't know anything and such but when questioned the judge knew all the details about the car. Anyways that's a different topic
JettaMkIII- I give a boost on friday, but only at 5 psi, since my good(blown tranny) is going to be rebuilt with a quaiffe over winter. The one in the car right now is a 88 8v short box with 170,000 km's on it. I really don't know how much it can take.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Who else went to ImportFest? (GTI2lo)

Alright GTI2lo.... I just wanna see how your ride goes... I'm not sure what to buy now... I'm stumped... Thinking of buying a Jetta, but the GTI appeals more to me... And I found a good one, in mint condition for 11,000 CDN!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts