VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious if it will work now with this software and all the other changes I have made? I would pay FedEx shipping both ways and a small rental fee if needed.
Not sure I want to lay down $250 to "try" it again.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (MRP2001GTi)

how long would you be trying it for? i'm down in san diego and have contacted you before

i'd be willing to drive up there -- i'd like to see your car, i have to go to valencia for the weekend anyhow

Modified by nrml at 6:42 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

If it works, drop the money for a tial. You will never want anything else after that. They are super responsive, super reliable, and the sound is SO SUPER sexy! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Had one on my old car.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (nrml)

Quote, originally posted by nrml »
how long would you be trying it for? i'm down in san diego and have contacted you before

i'd be willing to drive up there -- i'd like to see your car, i have to go to valencia for the weekend anyhow

I was thinking a good 3 or 4 days of driving. Last time around it took that long before my car started to freak.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts

cant you just "un" recirculate your dv?
releasing it into the atmosphere like a bov/?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (halchka99)

Quote, originally posted by halchka99 »
cant you just "un" recirculate your dv?
releasing it into the atmosphere like a bov/?

Exactly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,542 Posts
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (halchka99)

Is there ANY Performance reason for BOV? or is it just Rice?
Sorry if I offend, but it doesn't seem to me that there is ANY reason for a BOV other than that
Blow-Off sound. It seems to me that there are better things to spend your money on that will actually improve your performance...

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (exS4)

Quote, originally posted by exS4 »
Is there ANY Performance reason for BOV? or is it just Rice?
Sorry if I offend, but it doesn't seem to me that there is ANY reason for a BOV other than that
Blow-Off sound. It seems to me that there are better things to spend your money on that will actually improve your performance...

Rice and I know the Greddy unit will hold more boost and hold it well.

You cant un-recirc a DV. They just dont operate the right way to run like that. For one a DV is wide open at anything other than boost so you would have on major airleak at idle.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts

I had the greddy. I didn't like it that much. It was alright. I have Evo's right now. Later I'll probably go back to the Dv-r.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MRP2001GTi »

Rice and I know the Greddy unit will hold more boost and hold it well.

You cant un-recirc a DV. They just dont operate the right way to run like that. For one a DV is wide open at anything other than boost so you would have on major airleak at idle.

A bov does the same thing. A DV AND BOV ARE THE SAME FOR THE LAST TIME!!! A DV is a rerouted bov.....a BOV is an UNrerouted dv. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
If the bov is the proper tension you will see it open slightly at idle just the same. This is why with bov's the idle is affected and it runs richer at idle. You could tighten the hell out of the bov to keep it shut but that will affect it's performance.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (barelyboosting1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by barelyboosting1.8t »

A bov does the same thing. A DV AND BOV ARE THE SAME FOR THE LAST TIME!!! A DV is a rerouted bov.....a BOV is an UNrerouted dv. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .

Nope you’re wrong on this one. While the car is sitting idle the DV is wide open and your TB is drawing air through it from the port just aft of the MAF. Once you start to build boost the DV starts to close and stays closed until let off the throttle and relieve the boost from the small line then its opens and vents the boost back to the port just aft of the MAF and stays open until you build boost again. If you allowed this to be open to the atmosphere you would draw unmetered and unfiltered air the entire time you are not under boost and have some serious issues.
A BOV (lets use an HKS SSQ for example) is CLOSED at idle. It stays closed and the ONLY time it opens is for a brief second when there is a pressure differential. Then it opens to vent the excess boost and then snaps back closed. Most of the time it snaps closed before all the boost is vented and your get the light compressor surge that some refer to as flutter. The only metered air you lose at this point it that in which the BOV vents for that short time you let off the throttle.
A properly setup BOV will ONLY VENT AIR, not allow any to be drawn in.....

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 8:34 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
77 Posts

Good job MRP2001GTi you said it in a nutshell! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,461 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MRP2001GTi »

Nope you’re wrong on this one. While the car is sitting idle the DV is wide open and your TB is drawing air through it from the port just aft of the MAF. Once you start to build boost the DV starts to close and stays closed until let off the throttle and relieve the boost from the small line then its opens and vents the boost back to the port just aft of the MAF and stays open until you build boost again. If you allowed this to be open to the atmosphere you would draw unmetered and unfiltered air the entire time you are not under boost and have some serious issues.
A BOV (lets use an HKS SSQ for example) is CLOSED at idle. It stays closed and the ONLY time it opens is for a brief second when there is a pressure differential. Then it opens to vent the excess boost and then snaps back closed. Most of the time it snaps closed before all the boost is vented and your get the light compressor surge that some refer to as flutter. The only metered air you lose at this point it that in which the BOV vents for that short time you let off the throttle.
A properly setup BOV will ONLY VENT AIR, not allow any to be drawn in.....
Modified by MRP2001GTi at 8:34 PM 2-12-2004

Very good explaination ... I hate to say it but someone just got OWNED.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Who has a BOV laying around that I can try? (Sleeper GM)

Quote, originally posted by Sleeper GM »

Very good explaination ... I hate to say it but someone just got OWNED.

That would never be the purpose of any of my post. I just feel (know) I am right on this issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts