VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had the Revo chip for almost 2 years/30k mi, and have loved it. No cel, no issues at all on my 2007 4mo wagon.
I've no idea if it gives more horsepower, but the throttle response is soooo much better, esp.in sport mode.
I've heard that the chip is nothing more than the stock R36 code.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
In case anyone is curious, the newer 3.6L VR6 and R36 have the same engine as far as mechanical features go. The Passat 3.6L used to be 12:1 CR, but is now 11.4:1 just like the R36. The difference in performance can be attributed to the two additional pre-catalysts that the US (and probably Euro/Aus) versions have. Of course, the tuning would have to be different, but The exhaust system on the R36 and R32 are more similar, with just two catalysts.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
^^ Yes, see my build thread for pictures of the N.A. exhaust vs the r36's. I have swapped the r32 pre cat sections on my car to omit the first two cats.

Power has increased, noticeably. And exhaust volume :)

There are some differences between the motors hardware wise, but you are right. Mostly the same and tuning will most likely bring them to the same place in the end. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Who has chipped their 3.6? other mods? (Giancarlo)

Then after that, throw some Nitrous on it and you will have one hell of a Euro sleeper on your hands!
In that the two different intakes have way different thresholds, I would say if you have the plastic or aluminum intake, minimize your boost either chipped or turbo. The plastic intake can only take about 5 psi turbo boost, the aluminum is pretty safe to about 12psi turbo boost but easily cracks over 15, maybe limit it to 10psi.
As far as the performance chips go, remember that the engine is way way more powerful than the stock output allows and could very well break itself off pushed to far. Not saying don't do it, just saying to be prepared to maintain the speed demon.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
In that the two different intakes have way different thresholds, I would say if you have the plastic or aluminum intake, minimize your boost either chipped or turbo. The plastic intake can only take about 5 psi turbo boost, the aluminum is pretty safe to about 12psi turbo boost but easily cracks over 15, maybe limit it to 10psi.
As far as the performance chips go, remember that the engine is way way more powerful than the stock output allows and could very well break itself off pushed to far. Not saying don't do it, just saying to be prepared to maintain the speed demon.
Only two posts and you bumped an 8year old thread

Also what aluminum intake manifold are you talking about?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.