VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I'm doing it right now after I bended the aluminum pipes down and dry fit it, all is good. But I'm wondering about the oval plastic part that usually compresses the foam to the firewall. On the Corrado heater core, it clips into it but it is not on this one... What did you guys do to secure it in place? Cheers

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I kind of kinked the pipes a tad while I pulled them down. Do you think it's safe if they're oval a bit? No cracks or anything lime that but man I would hate to do it again... That metal is SO flimsy!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a ratchet extension wrapped with masking tape to make the fit tighter while soft with the tape to absorb. But I secured the heater core prior to bending and just force to bring the pipes down did that?!?

·
Registered
66 Posts
make sure

Just want to remind you to connect the vent tube prior to refiting the air box to the condensor side, i read that and reminded myself to do it and still forgot. Got it fitted all nice and the clips on and then saw the tube hanging, there is no way to attach it once you do that just a reminder. :banghead:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh shiiit! Ya, I was just looking at that vent pipe the other day and thinking to myself that this should be done prior probably, that confirms it! Thanks for the reminder man. Is yours up and running now or you just fitted the HVAC box back for now?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, this is what I ended up improvising after I realized that I got rid of my old coolant hoses and could not do what sdezego had suggested...

So I eye balled where it should be using the oem heater core and traced a line on the new core. I removed the center clip from the oval shape plastic "the one that clips on the oem version". So, on one side it's "bang on" once the clip is removed, it rest on the new bracket just fine. The other side is about 3/8 further that the bracket. So the triangular part that's sticking up is a tad too long, like a 1/8" so removed an 1/8" diagonally to match the angle of the box.

Then I drilled two holes (5/64) and used a galvanized wire to secure it. While putting some tension on the wire, the triangular part rest tight against the box. I slapped a piece of leftover aluminum tape from the door job just to have nothing dangling... Might look Mickey mouse a bit but it does the job really well. It's straight, tight and secure and I don't think it needs to be more than that. We'll see when install it!

Also to bend the pipes down, I used a 3/8 extension and wrapped masking tape to be softer on the pressure points, that part worked really well. My mistake was to secure the heater core in a wood vise to have both my hands free. The metal is so flimsy, it bended right away like shown on the pictures above. If I had to do this again, I would use the same extension wrapped in masking tape, use a heat gun to warm up the pipes just a tad, then proceed to the bending part, one hand on the extension, one hand holding the pipe at the heater core location (with glove obviously)

I'm not saying I have the best way to do this but it worked! Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.