VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have heard how crappy Turbonetics turbos can be and now that they are under new management,they don't really seem to give a SH*T about service,tech support etc.I have had 2 personally leak oil into the turbine upon installation,and luckily ATP exchanged them quickly,but now even ATP does'nt use Turbonetics anymore,they are pure Garret now.I am running my T3 with about 16,000 miles on it so far(4k with stock injection,blowing motors,hard use) and 12k with the SDS and boosting it 20+psi. and I have noticed I can hear it spool more than before.I am wondering what other people have experienced with the Turbonetics stuff in daily driver cars,when should I expect this thing to blow!!
Innovative turbo is the place to go now,ex-Turbonetics employees started this place I heard.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (SILVERADO)

Mine went out after about 250 miles
It was on the dyno for some tuning runs and started to make some noises. Had to go back to Turbonetics for a rebuild on their dime...hopefully it won't happen again soon

Also...it took them a freakin' month to turn it around

Modified by 2.OhhhGTI at 7:51 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (2.OhhhGTI)

Most likely the bearings that they use since everything else is good, bearings or seals.
Buy turbos from me and dont have any problems. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (killa)

killa, the turbos you sell, what do they use? Garrett? cause the one I got from you is made by turbonetics

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (garyw)

I put a turbonetics single bb t3/t4 on last year and it was blowing oil bad right from start up. The center cartridge was machined wrong, according to turbonetics they were having a problem w/ them. Well to make a long story short I sent it back in november and in june I basically told them to refund my money I couldnt wait any longer. They said there were over 70 turbos in for the same thing and all the parts were on back order.... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif they did nothing for me....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (sick01)

turbos well i have been waiting in turbonettics for 3 months finally refunded my money and hoooked up with
INOVATIVE TURBOS.. they are great immediate return phone calls no waiting around gave them my info they provided me with what exacty i would need to get the job done and said it will be here in 3 days i ordered this weds sent me a tracking # today...damn pretty fast for my 100% custom turbo that it took turbonettics 3 months and still a no go..
i paid $975 but it came with all the goodies...

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (81 vw pickup)

Oh that's great ... I have a T3/T04B waiting to go onto my car.
When I spin the shaft by hand, I can hear the compressor fins rubbing against the compressor housing. I wonder if it's normal for it to touch slightly ... (???)

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (Agtronic)

does it rubb all the time? or like only when you have the turbo sittin vertical w/ the hot side down? I have a friend whos garrett did that but when it was parellel to the ground like how it's mounted to the manifold it didnt rubb at all.. oh well it works fine it doesnt blow any oil or make any noises that arent normal..

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (sick01)

I dunno, it seems to rub when I turn the shaft by grabbing it inside the compressor. If I turn in using the exhaust side it doesn't seem to rub. I just hope it doesn't self-destruct on my ass.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (81 vw pickup)

WOW,more Turbonetics horror stories!I guess I am doing dam good then,because I treat my car like a OE daily driver and so far it has been reliable,I will keep a ear out for turbo failure,I guess I got a good one.I know Turbonetics "copies" Garrett,so do the Garrett bearings,etc. fit into the Turbonetics center cartridge?Can I get it rebuilt with "improved" OE Garrett parts?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (SILVERADO)

I'm going on 4 years and about 25,000 miles on mine. No problems yet...

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Who has had their Turbonetics turbo the longest,highest mileage,etc.? (Sahale)

Thanks, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I am stoked to hear that!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

I have around 8000 on my T04B it is fine as of yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts