Votes: 32 55.2%
  • no

Votes: 26 44.8%
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know "fast" is a relative term so let's talk about cars that do 0-60 in the sub 5 second club. I was thinking about all the modern muscle out there that is quick off the showroom floor and I realized I've never mashed the pedal on anything faster than my GTI. A fast car was never a priority when I was younger, what was fast then is now a family hauler. My "fast" was a sport compact w/ good handling. Fast cars 25-30 yrs ago were mainly something European and out of my price range. I see all these young guys in Mustangs/Camaros/Hellcats etc. and yell at the sky about their debt, but then think about all the fun they must be having. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Yes - I have driven a fast car
No - I have not

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I've driven fast cars, but since they weren't mine, I never beat on them or experienced their fastness to their full potential, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Reactions: LePlanc

·
Registered
88,309 Posts
Fastest car long term is probably my current turbo truck that's not a car- but still not sub 5 seconds (but close).
Did drive a well built 89 Mustang GT once that scared me due to the extremely stiff clutch and numb steering with all that powa.
Should have bought it for just 4k at the time.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,231 Posts
My WRX was fast compared to the rest of the cars in my signature. More than enough for street driving. Truth be told, high speeds scare me. Especially on public roads.

Right after high school in the early 2000s my cousin had a 650 hp 93 Z28 and we did 140mph on the highway. Never again.

Reactions: daev

·
Registered
986 Posts
I know "fast" is a relative term so let's talk about cars that do 0-60 in the sub 5 second club. I was thinking about all the modern muscle out there that is quick off the showroom floor and I realized I've never mashed the pedal on anything faster than my GTI. A fast car was never a priority when I was younger, what was fast then is now a family hauler. My "fast" was a sport compact w/ good handling. Fast cars 25-30 yrs ago were mainly something European and out of my price range. I see all these young guys in Mustangs/Camaros/Hellcats etc. and yell at the sky about their debt, but then think about all the fun they must be having. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Dal:

So your GTI isn't fast enough? Do you eant it to go faster? That's what it sounds like. Well, you can either juice up your GTI or get another car. Personally, I HATE retro muscle cars because I grew up with REAL muscle cars. Think it 's disrectful to try and "bring back" muscle cars. If you didn't grow up then you just missed it. Personally, I think nothing can touch German cars. Except maybe a Lambo or Koenegsigg and none of us can afford them. Put a tune, downpipe and exhaust on your GTI. Or buy one of those "retro" muscle cars. Everytime I see one I roll my eyes in disgust. You should've seen my neighborhood in the late 70's/early 80's. Unbelievable!

Forgot: Drove a Passat R in Vegas a few years ago. Hit 130MPH in desert on my way to San Diego. Also drove a Porsche GT3 in Vegas on the track. Worked for ESI in 2015(summer) delivering exotic cars in NY metro area. Drove an Audi RS7. Unreal!

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
My daily (STI) is "fast" by the criteria in the OP (it's under 5 seconds 0-60 if you launch near redline), but I wouldn't consider it all that fast by today's standards.

I've driven fast cars (fastest in a straight line would be a P90 Model S), but never something stupid fast like a sub 10 second 1/4 mile. Anyhow, it's certainly giggle inducing, but I wouldn't say that not driving something fast means you have to turn over your enthusiast card.

If you've really never even driven something fast at all, you can always do some test drives. Some places will let you drive solo even. You probably can't do that with a Ferrari, but certainly with a Tesla or a more garden variety performance car.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I've never driven a sub-5 second car. I don't think my Golf R is sub-5 seconds even with stage 2. My Mk2 might technically have been capable of sub-5 seconds but I didn't have the skill to not wheelspin all the way through 3rd.

Those are the fastest cars I've ever driven.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fastest car I've driven was a 1969 Corvette L88. A gal I knew bought it new, her brother worked in the parts department of a local Chevy dealer, he helped her pick out the options for maximum resale value, hence the L88 motor.
I had it up to 130 mph in third gear, and I thought that was fast enough.

Reactions: x(why)z

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Try to do the BMW event, you can do some unsupervised WOT runs.

I haven't driven a Tesla or any exotics (stock 300ZX TT is the fastest sports car I've driven) but I've romped on some fast Bimmers and Audis at their respective free driving events.

BMW 7-Series has always been a favorite for me, from the V12s 10± years ago to the recent 750i (523 hp and a zero-drama, giggle-inducing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, and a nice scratch from out back on the 1-2 shift in Sport+). It drives much smaller than it is and feels so light on its feet. Merging onto the highway in that thing feels like time travel with how fast it can get up to speed. Punch it and it is suddenly right up on the car that was waaaaaaay down at the end of the merge ramp.

It's fun but I don't prioritize it in my daily drivers. 0-60 in 10 seconds and being able to hold speed on a long grade on the highway is good enough.

·
Registered
26,482 Posts
Poll is confusing.

Does a Yes mean: "Yes, I have never driven a fast car.", or does a "Yes" mean you have driven a fast car?
This.
Not voting till its clear.

With that said.
I apparently have not driven a really fast or really quick car, which IMO is more what you are talking about with 0-60 thoughts.
"0-60 in the sub 5 second club"

Back in like 1995 or so I drove a fairly new Corvette but only in a parking lot moving it from one end of the lot to another. I am certain I didn't even hit 30, much less 60.
Owned both an 89 CRX Si, and an 91 Integra LS... quickish but not sub-5's by any stretch.
I test drove a new bugeye Subaru WRX back in like 2002, but with a salesperson in back the most exciting that got was 4 wheel drifting a corner in the wet.
Owned a 1995 Audi S4, some minor rs2 upgrades but still not sub 5 that I am aware of.
My mk5 GTI was mechanically stock, quickish but doesn't hit your mark by a ways.
My 06 Miata feels a lot faster than it actually is.

The Giulia Ti Sport I test drove seems can do 5.1, still plenty fast IMO, but not quite there either.
The only car I have driven that was probably a sub 5 0-60, is the Kia Stinger GT2, they say it goes by in 4.7

Never driven a fast Porsche, M car, AMG, or S...

A Giulia or Stinger GT are in the line up for my next fun but also practical cars... so I will hit sub 5 0-60 one day. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you've really never even driven something fast at all, you can always do some test drives. Some places will let you drive solo even. You probably can't do that with a Ferrari, but certainly with a Tesla or a more garden variety performance car.
Tesla will let anyone with a driver’s license check out a Model 3 Performance for an hour. Really easy to see how stupid quick a sub 4 second car really is.

·
Registered
'18 BRZ
9,262 Posts
The way some TCLers talk, you would think a car that does a 5 second 0-60 is dangerously slow for a daily suburban commute.

On one hand, all cars are fast, since they can transport me faster than my own body can transport itself.

On the other hand, all cars are slow. The fastest accelerating production car, the Tesla Model S Plaid, will pull a sustained 1.15g in a straight line. A Miata on sticky street tires can pull that much lateral acceleration on a flat skid pad.

I see all these young guys in Mustangs/Camaros/Hellcats etc. and yell at the sky about their debt, but then think about all the fun they must be having. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Anyway back to the point of the thread, I've driven a lot of very powerful cars. Yet, the one that gives me the most driving pleasure only has 205 horsepower. So, unless you're the type of person who only gets thrills in a straight line (and it sounds like that's not you), I don't think you should be jealous or feel like you're missing out when you see someone with 400 or 600 or 1000 horsepower drive by you.

The fastest car I've driven (and yes I did take it up in the twisties):

The most fun car I've driven:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts