VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of talk on the boards about aftermarket clutches, but has everyone paid someone to do this for them? The Bentley manual says I need to pull the transaxle, which makes sense, and if so I'm definitely gonna let a shop do it. Anyone pulled a DIY with their clutch? Anyone that doesn't work in a repair shop, that is?

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Re: Who has replaced their clutch themselves? (happywaffle)

You won't be able to do it unless you have an extensive set of tools and knowledge. The job takes a pro like 7 hour(ish) still. So just imagine what it would take you. And a lift and tranny jack would be your best friends.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Who has replaced their clutch themselves? (rocket vr6)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. New question: how much did people pay for their clutch replacement? I'm talking labor here. (I know, 7 hours times hourly rate = mucho, just curious)

·
Banned
11,719 Posts

Last time I believe I paid for 2 hours of labor because I was getting the timing chains and cams in the VR. My car (the 1.8t) is actually going back to Momentum in a week for a upgrade and chip. I think it's 5 hours of labor, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

You should wait a littel, there is someone here on the tex that has already asked for DIY for the clutch... no one has been able to point him in right directions cause there is no DIY on clutches, but he decided to go with it any how and he also said that he will post DIY after he is done.
In any case I'd wait a little and see if it ever comes up...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Who has replaced their clutch themselves? (Hadzo)

Well I'm probably going to take it in anyway, I just wanted to see whether people would be like "No way! Replacing the clutch is EASY!"

I'm just now at the point of replacing my own spark plugs and timing belt, the clutch is like five steps beyond that in difficulty, or so it seems.
And, my clutch is doing okay at the moment, but I'm at 97,000 miles, so its days are numbered. It already sticks a little bit when I put the car in first, but nothing too bad... yet.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Quote, originally posted by happywaffle »
Well I'm probably going to take it in anyway, I just wanted to see whether people would be like "No way! Replacing the clutch is EASY!"

I'm just now at the point of replacing my own spark plugs and timing belt, the clutch is like five steps beyond that in difficulty, or so it seems.
And, my clutch is doing okay at the moment, but I'm at 97,000 miles, so its days are numbered. It already sticks a little bit when I put the car in first, but nothing too bad... yet.

Well OK what ever rocks your boat... good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.