VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this yet. My mechanic seems to favor them because he's put them on other cars, but never on a VR6.
I need real input on this, and if it is worth my time messing with for my VR6 Turbo project. Oh yeah, it's a 3.0L 8.5:1 CR, JE Pistons, P&P head, many other goodies. I want to run 12-18 psi.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Re: Who HAS run a Holley Commander 950 on a VR6 turbo? (GruvenVR6)

what kind of power are you trying to make at those psi levels? My car just dyno'ed at 341 HP and 350 lbs/ft. of Torque at 1.1bar (16 psi roughly) with max HP at 6200 rpm and max Torque at 4300 rpm all with stock internals and only a low compression head gasket. Unless you plan on running more boost, why bother with the 3.0L, low compression pistons and Holley 950.
Not trying to bust on your project... just trying to make you have simple reality based choices. Get the Holley and turn the boost up to 20 psi or more THEN your making power. Otherwise, its all wasted money.
-R

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Who HAS run a Holley Commander 950 on a VR6 turbo? (RichPugh)

Those are pretty impressive numbers for that psi, with stock internals, displacement and CR!
The reason I'm going 3.0L is that I blew the first motor up, and so I'm working it while it's out, and making sure it doesn't happen again. I would love more than anything to be able to crank it up past 18 psi, but it just depends on the situation with engine management will allow. I have built the engine to handle 450+ hp, so that is the goal that I'm shooting for.

So are you running the Holley 950? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Who HAS run a Holley Commander 950 on a VR6 turbo? (RichPugh)

quote:[HR][/HR]what kind of power are you trying to make at those psi levels? My car just dyno'ed at 341 HP and 350 lbs/ft. of Torque at 1.1bar (16 psi roughly) with max HP at 6200 rpm and max Torque at 4300 rpm all with stock internals and only a low compression head gasket. Unless you plan on running more boost, why bother with the 3.0L, low compression pistons and Holley 950.
Not trying to bust on your project... just trying to make you have simple reality based choices. Get the Holley and turn the boost up to 20 psi or more THEN your making power. Otherwise, its all wasted money.
-R[HR][/HR]​
Friend of mine did 390-391 at 16psi with his rado. and that whas with stock internals, and everything else, just bigger inj and a chip.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts

Not to burst your bubble, but if you plan on running the Holley 950, it will require additional equipment to make it work on the coilpack cars, as it does not fully support it (distributors? yes, without a problem). It is a simple system to install and works well on Dave's 16V Scirocco. It is a 2008cc and running 23 psi with 350+ HP to the wheels.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Those are pretty impressive numbers for that psi, with stock internals, displacement and CR!
The reason I'm going 3.0L is that I blew the first motor up, and so I'm working it while it's out, and making sure it doesn't happen again. I would love more than anything to be able to crank it up past 18 psi, but it just depends on the situation with engine management will allow. I have built the engine to handle 450+ hp, so that is the goal that I'm shooting for.

So are you running the Holley 950? If so, how do you like it?[HR][/HR]​
Nah. Not running the 950. I am running stock engine management with a proprietary turbo chip (which basically just pulls out timing, removes the speed gov and raises the rev limiter slightly), a boost dependent FPR, a high flow fuel additional fuel pump and thats it. The turbo I'm using it rated at being able to produce 450 HP... make sure that youre using the right turbo to make the 450 mark easily and is not on edge. Also, you might want to do rods.
-Rich

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Re: Who HAS run a Holley Commander 950 on a VR6 turbo? (ACIDBURN)

quote:[HR][/HR]Friend of mine did 390-391 at 16psi with his rado. and that whas with stock internals, and everything else, just bigger inj and a chip.[HR][/HR]​
What size injectors and from whom? What FPR? What fuel pump(s)? I'm curious. If 390 is obtainable at the same boost pressure as I'm getting 341, I'd be inclined to do those mods, turn the boost down and still keep it near 350. Any irradic idles or fouled plugs on a daily basis?

Rich
Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts