VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note- I am assuming the vehicle is obviously worth less than the voucher amount.
Anybody?
I'm torn.
I actually drove my 88 F-150 to Asheville today to trade on a new base Taco with a/c ($13,800 website ad price), but didn't. The dealer failed to reply to any email or phone message request- and their website was incorrectly showing that vehicle for weeks. It was sold weeks ago. (whomever it was here that said Jim Barkley Toyota of Asheville was great.. all I can say is whatever. Not responding to email and phone requests for vehicle information for several days = bad imo. Though the lot and showroom are very nice)
Anyway- my truck drove amazingly well. It pulled the I-40 mountains great in 5th, handled the corners great (I even had to pass BMWs and Corvettes since the drivers didn't seem to know how to handle a tight interstate corner at speed.. they would wait until the vehicle was over to the line, then overreact and slow way down. Idiots) and even got great fuel economy. It's running better now than it ever has. I was very torn about the C4C trade- but $4500 is probably four times what the truck is worth, and I wanted something more economical and with a/c (and safety is also a consideration) to allow me to drive the RX8 less.
But when I discovered the Taco was sold... I actually felt relieved instead of disappointed. And that made me rethink the situation even though my old truck us getting uglier (rust is showing up everywhere) and does need a few things mechanically (like shocks).
TCL thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have a 87 land cruiser that i could trade in for c4c. i dont know what mileage is rated at but i would assume it qualifys. i only paid $700 for it but i like it and dont have any new trucks that i like enough to replace it with so im holding onto it.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (BRealistic)

I'm confused...what's a Taco?

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (InfinitiG)

Quote, originally posted by InfinitiG »

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (BRealistic)

Same thing with a friend of mine. Has a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0, 225k miles. It drives perfect and has new BFG's on it, a perfectly usable car, yet the temptation is there to trade it.

·
Registered
85,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (InfinitiG)

I thought Taco was a common abbreviation for Toyota Tacoma.
Toy Taco.
My bad.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts

Ahaha...shoulda known that.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts

12mpg-paid $600 for it.

I would never trade Cookie in.
Edit-Apparently my Supra qualifies too. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by 16v_43v3r at 7:24 PM 8-15-2009

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
FV-QR

Why don't you either sell it for what it's worth on the private market, and then buy a year or two old used Taco?
OR....
If you really don't want to sell it. Trade it in at a dealer for a used Taco. You won't get the $4,500, but you'll lose a lot less money in depreciation.
That way, your truck makes it back to the market again and someone can enjoy it instead of it being destroyed.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

As I posted in another thread, we just bought an '02 WRX wagon today to replace our '97 4x4 Suburban. Obviously, the 'burban qualifies for C4C, but the math just doesn't work out, no matter how I try to twist the numbers. Lots of people buy new cars, and I'm grateful for that, because without those people, I would never have anything to buy. But the reality is that buying a new car is not a good financial decision, and an extra grand or two doesn't make a compelling argument to buy one.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea to buy a new car, but it most certainly is not a good financial decision. Since life is about more than money, though, new cars are a great thing for an awful lot of people. At this point in my life (and at all previous points), I'm not one of those people.

·
Registered
802 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, BTW it was me that told you to go there for a Tacoma.
I have personally bought 2 used vehicles there and been with 6 people to buy new ones and everytime it has been a quick and painless experience. Typically taking less than 30 minutes. The dealership sells between 1k-1.5k vehicles a month so emails can take awhile to be returned. Also South East Toyota controls the inventory on the websites not the dealership and it is updated within hours of a vehicle being sold.

·
Registered
85,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (thejoyof6)

Quote, originally posted by thejoyof6 »
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, BTW it was me that told you to go there for a Tacoma.

Hey- don't worry about it. I was the one that chose to drive there without a confirmation on the vehicle. And my Saturdays are usually boring- it was either this, or hiding in the bushes and mugging old ladies at the ATM.

On a serious note- I really like Asheville, and the drive through the mountains is always nice.
Actually- driving with the windows down and the radio off is a good way for me to think- which is why I was torn on trading in the old truck.
Quote »

Also South East Toyota controls the inventory on the websites not the dealership and it is updated within hours of a vehicle being sold.

The sales manager told me- and I quote- "The website hasn't been updated for Cash For Clunkers..." I was like ... "okaaaaaay." I didn't even bother asking why a government voucher program would affect their ability to update their website vehicle inventory.

Modified by BRealistic at 11:06 PM 8/15/2009

·
Registered
11,572 Posts

Here's a Taco that poops Ice cream.
Yes. You heard me.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

We have a 2000 Ford Expedition that qualifies but we decided against trading it in under this deal because with only 90000 miles on it, it runs great. It doesn't make sense for us to put more money down on another work truck that will only replace something working just fine anyways.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (peachypotpies)

we own a mint bmw 535iA, all records etc. I wish I could C4C my 525 since it is in bad shape. But no way in hell am I going to give the 535i although we will need a new car soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (nuke941)

my dad traded a 86.5 928S http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,486 Posts
Re: Who here has an eligible C4C vehicle and is not going to trade it in- and ... (dazed)

My old Ford truck qualifies. I'm not about to trade it in for anything. I have 2 perfectly good cars and my perfectly good truck. No need to run out and buy something. Now if the Gov was handing me $4500 with out the need to buy somthing else? I might.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
The sales manager told me- and I quote- "The website hasn't been updated for Cash For Clunkers..." I was like ... "okaaaaaay." I didn't even bother asking why a government voucher program would affect their ability to update their website vehicle inventory.

Might be that they are selling vehicles a lot faster these days and the person who updates the inventory & web site is busy, on vacation, etc.
Not an excuse for not updating for weeks though.
Does your home state have a periodic safety inspections? If so, what is the likely hood that the inspection will soon prevent you from driving the vehicle without spending big $$$$ to repair it's rust problems? What about your other recent mechanical problem with the truck? Was that an isolated problem or one of a few it has been having more often as the truck ages?
If the C4C trade value is 4 times your truck's value and it has rust and other mechanical issues it might be time to trade it. Are there other Toyota dealers that might be able to sell you the base Tacoma you are looking for? Can the closest dealer get you a Tacoma from another dealer in the region?
If you financial and job situations are fairly secure now might be a good time for you to take advantage of the C4C program to replace your truck.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
BTW, my '85 Daily Driver cannot qualify for the C4C program because it's MPG is too high. It is also paid for long ago and has been very reliable for the last 12 years I have owned it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.