VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I'm just sittin at work..and started to think of the car that I have been working on since I was 14 and sold last summer at 20. A 68 MGB. I miss it alot.. almost to the point where I want to sell my 944 just to buy another MGB, or GT. I don't know about a Midget/Sprite, and Mini's are so spendy now. Just a starter post..and possibly post some good pics. Mine had wires, and was red with a fresh motor rebuild. Really, one of the most reliable cars I had, and very easy to work on. Anyone else? Also..if I got another..whats a good route to make a quick street MGB? Something thats say...quick to 60mph?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

Throwing in the Buick/Rover V8 is a good way to propel them to 60 in a hurry, but I prefer the trusty old B series engines. A ratty exhaust note, easy tuneability, good gas mileage, simplicity is what I love about the British four pots. I agree with you about the reliability. If and when they do break, parts are plentiful. In fact, you could build a brand new B just by ordering all the pieces from the catalogues! British car people love to joke about "dodgy" reliability, but it's all in good fun, because I've heard nothing but good from all of the folks I've talked with about it and my own experience backs that up. The only way to relieve yourself of that longing for another British car is to....buy one.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (VWteknik)

I see you got a Spitfire. I just about bought a 65 on Minilites 2 weeks ago. It was sold before I even looked at it. How are the Spitfires compared to a B? One note...I did have a sprint race with my friends 95 2.0 Golf. I actually pulled until the middle of my third gear where we both backed off. I had a broken speedo, but was surprised the B held it's ground like that. The B motor just seemed so quick to rev, and the close gearing was sweet
I think if I had another, I'd change to the x-flow head, with twin Webers, and a very nice suspension/braking setup. Oh, and I just never got used to the 16" steering wheel, partly cause it was big, but also cause it was broken

[Modified by JusAnothaRabbitRacer, 9:50 PM 2-2-2003]

·
Registered
3,962 Posts

I've never actually driven a B, so I can't really comment on how they compare to a Spitfire, sorry. I do know the MG is larger and more powerful and has a more "finished" interior. The late 60's Spits with the 1300 and dual SU's are the quickest, but they'll take a good 12-13 seconds to get to 60. The quicker B's do it in like 11 secs or so I believe. My impression just reading comments of other owners is that a B is a more civilized, powerful, and roomy car, while the Spitfire is the lighter, louder, and more spartan little sibling...somewhere in between a B and Spridget.
Spits seem to cost a little less and in my opinion look better, but I'm pretty sure they're generally a step down in performance, but I'd be surprised if a B felt much quicker. They also have the clamshell hood, which makes just about any job under the hood a breeze. Harder to find parts and accessories but it's still pretty damn easy. If you do get a Spit, I recommend the pre MkIV 1300cc cars. The 1500's in stock trim are not as quick or free revving (neither are the MkIV 1300 due to different bearings) and they are a bit heavier.
If you want to just have fun and build a reliable car, you can't go wrong with either, but if you want the best performance for reasonable money, I really couldn't tell ya, but I'd imagine the MG is the way to go. Lots of stuff out on the net...check out http://www.britishcarlinks.com

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (VWteknik)

OH ME ME.... I have a 70 MGB Roadster, all original, paint and all! I love my car a lot actually, one of the most fun cars ever to me! I have the twin SU carb engine. Heres a quick pic...

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (B(C)orrado)

My dad and I restored our '61 MGA roadster from '96-'99
Love that car...it's now BMW arctic silver, connolly black leather, and has a '72 1800 MGB engine. Definitely not an "original" restoration, but it was done out of necessity (original 1600 had a cracked block) and for daily driveability. We converted it to wires too, thanks to a wrecked '60 roadster parts car. I love that car, can't wait till we can pull it back out of the garage this spring. Sure it doesn't handle or accelerate like a Miata, but there's nothing that compares to driving a british roadster

·
Registered
2019 Golf R
2,355 Posts
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (Zwoobah)

I had 67 MG Midget for a couple years in college. Had the 1275, wires w/ single lug, and a ton of rust. Didn't matter, way too much fun. Stinky, quirky, sorta quick, loud, and of course, topless! Then sold it while in financial crisis (imagine that, in college!)
Anyhow, fond memories. I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up a pic...
dc

·
Registered
28,865 Posts

We had a 1966 Mini Cooper 970S, and we still have a 1966 Mini Moke.
The Cooper had some racing history, and the 970cc "S" engine (very rare and only available by special order in '64-'65)) was transplanted into the car early on. Only about 1,000 970cc S engines were produced by Cooper Garages, just enough for homologation to qualify for racing in the "under 1 Liter class" for five years.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Re: Who here is an MG/Austin buff...? (Cooper)

do i count if ive got a 1963 morris minor?
of you like the minor then there are a pleathora of engines that will fit inclugine toyota twin cams, mgf engines, the almighty rover sd1 3500 v8 and ive even heard of an sd1 engine in a minor fitted with a blower
if you want moire info try a yahoo search for "MMOC" and look for a link to the morris minor owners club homepage

·
Banned
9,779 Posts

I've had 2 Midgets, an MGA, an MGB, and done restoration work on many more (working on a '73 MGB GT and a '77 MGB convertile right now). Love the cars!
As sports cars go, I like my Fiat 124 a bit better, but MGBs make great projects. As was said, everythign is availabel for them. Upgrades are relatively easy to do, whether you want a restored car, a weekend toy, a semi race car, or even a competetive road race car. Everything has been done to them already, so you can follow in someone's well documented footsteps pretty easily.
Personally, I like the Buick/Olds/Rover V8 swaps, especially in the newer cars. The factory did this in the GTs and in a couple later convertibles, so it's easy to duplicate. The V8 weighs less than the stock 4 cyl, too, so it's a bonus! The '73 GT I'm doing the work on was slated to get a 225 hp ver4sion of the Olds V8, but that may change, as the owner is thinking of autocrossing it in a class that requres the stock engine to be started with. If that happens, I may get the V8 from him, and put it in my '76 convertible shell (which had been put on the sidelines to do the Fiat restoration...) and make a cheap race car out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.