VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (smash929)

i had to grind the alternator to fit into the a/c position, had to get a proper belt, you know just the usual pita things

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (veedubs03)

pretty sure any 8v alternator pulley will work
Those "kits" a rip-off! I did the same thing for about ten bucks.
Also, if you dont know the exact size for the belt, just buy a few and return the ones that dont work.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (benraldo the ho)

because moving it down to where the a/c was is neater, cleaner, and WAY MORE roomier!! i hate 16vs cuz there is no room to work on them
but with no fuel dist or a a/c compressor im getting lots of room

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (smash929)

F.Y.I. I bought the kit from RPI and it sucks. The build quality is terrible. My alternator sits on a crazy angle. Definetily not worth $200.
Ben Zeeuw
Corrado 16vT

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (Redroc)

I dont mean to make you or anyone feel bad, but why the hell would anyone pay in excess of 20 dollars for a pulley and blet? From what I've seen, they dont even give you the non/ac bracket with those kits. Talk about someone taking FULL advantage of the phrase "a fool and his money are easily parted"

[Modified by Mbiggy, 7:43 AM 4-18-2002]

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (Mbiggy)

The RPI kit does come with a bracket and, when you consider that the factory non-A/C bracket costs in excess of $350, would be a good deal if it was made properly. There are several reasons why some of us prefer the kit. First off, you're ditching a 16# bracket for a 3# bracket. The alternator, which is fairly heavy, is mounted lower in the car. Finally, it looks factory. Call me anal, but I would rather buy the kit than have to look at a half-a$$ hack job with ground-down brackets and a 4' long drive belt.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (Redroc)

I am in the middle of a pretty involved swap (16vT into corrado) so the last thing I wanted to worry about was the alternator. I have already spend around $10,000 so $200 was worth it for the peace of mind. Plus, it does look very clean. It's not a crappy product, I just expected more for the price.
Ben Zeeuw
Corrado 16vT
quote:[HR][/HR]The RPI kit does come with a bracket and, when you consider that the factory non-A/C bracket costs in excess of $350, would be a good deal if it was made properly. There are several reasons why some of us prefer the kit. First off, you're ditching a 16# bracket for a 3# bracket. The alternator, which is fairly heavy, is mounted lower in the car. Finally, it looks factory. Call me anal, but I would rather buy the kit than have to look at a half-a$$ hack job with ground-down brackets and a 4' long drive belt.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: who is selling inexpensive a.c. removal kit(pulley belt combo.) (ZeeuwVW)

i grinded my bracket down, sanded it and painted it, it looks fine, ill take pics and you can see my job, the pulley cost me 2 dollars the junkyard and the belt was 6, the only hard part is the manual labor, i didnt do a hack job

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.