VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 93 coilpack Corrado SLC. It's turboed with and inline fuel and RRFPR etc. Anyways I redoing the fueling setup to use the C2 36# solution and I'm converting to 95 OBD1 wiring harness and ECU to make that work. Hopefully it'll run better and be more reliable and efficient. I know other people are converting to OBD2 to run C2 42# solution, but seems to me that's more work (wiring hacks) and money (OBD2 manifold, throtle body, 2nd O2 sensor, etc).
Anyway I already have the 95 VR6 Golf wiring harness and it's very similar to what's in the car now. The only the difference seems to be the MAF and O2 sensor connector. The MAF a a later style w/ 4wires instead or the early one in the C which is 6-wires. I already have the correct MAF sensor for my conversion so that's taken care of.
The 95 OBD1 VR6 harness O2 sensor connector is different. It still have 4-wires but has a rounded ends and NOT rectangular as in the C. See pictures below. Anybody really know if only the connector is different or is it different electrically too? The correct 95 VR6 O2 sensor is about $135. I have several good rectangular old style O2 sensor laying around, both OEM Bosh and aftermarket ones.
If the old style and new style O2 sensor are electrically the same, then I'll just try to hack up one of the aftermaket one I have to fit. Just want to see if anybody here knows for sure
Thanks for looking.
Corrado VR6 O2 sensor

1995 OBD1 Mk3 VR6 O2 sensor

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Re: Who knows all about OBD1 O2 sensors? (green_slc)

I am 99% certain the O2's are the same, just a different connector. That's why the y can make those aftermarket sensors you have to splice in. Sensors the same...connectors different.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The two different O2 sensor models are listed here:
http://www.autohausaz.com/sear...ensor
Could somebody help me with the two part numbers just in case I need them. I guess my 1995 OBD1 wiring harness came from 1995 Passat GLX with serial number after 086001

·
Registered
4,831 Posts

Are you sure about the vin#? Just because it's a 95 doesn't mean it wasn't manufactured before 10/94...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Who knows all about OBD1 O2 sensors? (rix337)

Thanks for your feedback! I think I'll just hack up one of my after market O2 sensor to fit into the oval connector then hunt around for the correct one later

·
Registered
4,831 Posts

I tried searching vagcat but couldn't get any absolute answer to it. I will look again today.

·
Registered
12,385 Posts
Re: Who knows all about OBD1 O2 sensors? (rix337)

i am 110 percent certain the sensors are the same, cause i depinned the "newer" style one and pinned it to work with my wiring harness, and the car runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: Who knows all about OBD1 O2 sensors? (Noobercorn)

i had to on my audi replace the o2 sensors and the 88-94 5.0L mustang o2 sensor is exactly the same but different connection. I just cut and soldered on the audi connection and my cel light went away. Good thing about the mustance o2 sensors is that they are like 60 dollars cdn compared to 180 for the stock audi ones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.