VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the Porsche dealer today as I was out doing errands. Have not been to one in a long time. Was looking at the Macan and am not sure about the way it looks.

I know Porsche is trying to imbue the look of the 911. It reminds me of something else but I am not sure what...

What do others think?

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,086 Posts
I think it looks fine for what it is, if not pretty good. That said, they might try to sell them as "sports cars," and they do drive well for what they are, but at the end of the day they're pushing the limits of what is possible proportion-wise for a practical 2-box. It has actual rear fenders and looks a little bit more hunkered than it is (especially with the air ride!), but to get the design and the drive train/travel they wanted, the end result packages relatively poorly, with not much more usable space than a GTI and less I think than a Jetta.

My pick of the segment is the equivalent version of the X3/X4 (2.0T <-> 30i, S <-> M40i, Turbo <-> M), which IMO is a little worse to look at but more functional, better to drive, and cheaper.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,833 Posts
One of my neighbors has one, I think it’s ok looking. Too exciting or dramatic and it’s off putting for most, it plays it safe. Maybe too safe but it’s not bland.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Love It

Ignoring that high price/value metric and actual utility of it and just gong by visuals?

My eyes love the Porsche Macan. The booty isn't as sharp as the rest, but oh the rest is awesome. The design looks way better on the smaller Macan than it does on the Cayenne.

I like the green in the OP and I'm digging it in Miami blue.
There'a one here, 2020 Macan S, Miami Bue for $75,640, holy fek.

https://www.porschegreensboro.com/new-Greensboro-2020-Porsche-Macan-S-WP1AB2A56LLB30788

So sweet:

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,320 Posts
One of my neighbors has one, I think it’s ok looking. Too exciting or dramatic and it’s off putting for most, it plays it safe. Maybe too safe but it’s not bland.
I think it looks great, but it’s completely useless as an SUV.
It's a lifted GTI+.

My car has about the same utility at half or less the price.

But affluent mommies will still buy them.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My eyes love the Porsche Macan. The booty isn't as sharp as the rest, but oh the rest is awesome.
I feel the opposite, I like the profile and rear views but the front end just looks off to me. I'd like to see the headlights less swept back and the openings smaller. It seems like it would make for an attractive hatchback.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,585 Posts
It's 'just ok' to me. I also agree that it is totally useless as a CUV given the interior dimensions.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I Cannot Hate It From Any Angle

I feel the opposite, I like the profile and rear views but the front end just looks off to me. I'd like to see the headlights less swept back and the openings smaller. It seems like it would make for an attractive hatchback.
That's it, you're right, take the height out and it would indeed make an awesome looking little hatch. As a Cayman hatch, oh man, that would push all of my buttons hard.

As far as the Macan as is, like I posted, with the smaller size it looks more cohesive overall than the odd Cayenne.

If given to me, I would rock it so hard :laugh:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,086 Posts
It's 'just ok' to me. I also agree that it is totally useless as a CUV given the interior dimensions.
Just Another Sweater said:
It's a lifted GTI+.

My car has about the same utility at half or less the price.
Over a GTI, it's appointed a bit nicer, has more available options, and would let one tow a couple Jet-Skis and drive through a bit deeper snow. But for the difference in price, you could still have the GTI, a JGC for the work items, and a Jet Ski to pull. :laugh:

I do think it's a nice car for what it is, but I also think it's the worst choice in the Porsche lineup. Which is ironic since it's their best seller. :sly:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,086 Posts
That's it, you're right, take the height out and it would indeed make an awesome looking little hatch. As a Cayman hatch, oh man, that would push all of my buttons hard.
Omg if they came out with an honest C-segment Cayman hot-hatch I would camp outside the dealership to order.

·
6,320 Posts
Over a GTI, it's appointed a bit nicer, has more available options, and would let one tow a couple Jet-Skis and drive through a bit deeper snow. But for the difference in price, you could still have the GTI, a JGC for the work items, and a Jet Ski to pull. :laugh:

I do think it's a nice car for what it is, but I also think it's the worst choice in the Porsche lineup. Which is ironic since it's their best seller. :sly:
Just my opinion but most CUVs, Porsche and Audi included, are just craptastic.

Fight me...

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Wut?

Wow, I didn't know the Macan was their best seller. Porsche is smart then, they know our market, make what people will buy and profit.

·
6,320 Posts
Wow, I didn't know the Macan was their best seller. Porsche is smart then, they know our market, make what people will buy and profit.
Like it or not but SUVs and CUVs have kept Porsche alive.

They were close to folding before the Cayenne was introduced.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,086 Posts

Fight me...
Why would I fight you when I agree with you? :laugh: Admittedly I have a Cayenne as a tool, but my :heart: is with the sporty stuff 10 times out of 10. For the most part my CUV support is me playing Devil's Advocate.

Burnette said:
Yup, figures are here. In 2018 Macan sold about as many as 718, 911, and Panamera combined. Cayenne wasn't far behind it but was solidly in 2nd place.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
"I'm Going To Need To See A Card, You Understand?"

Fight me...
I won't fight you but I do need you to bring your license and maybe a credit card so we can go on a test drive in this sumbeeyotch. You may see why some people like the Macan, Or not, I don't care as long as I get my turn at the wheel :laugh:

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Wow!

Why would I fight you when I agree with you? :laugh: Admittedly I have a Cayenne as a tool, but my :heart: is with the sporty stuff 10 times out of 10. For the most part my CUV support is me playing Devil's Advocate.

Yup, figures are here. In 2018 Macan sold about as many as 718, 911, and Panamera combined. Cayenne wasn't far behind it but was solidly in 2nd place.
Hot damn, we are a nation of CUVs then, I never would have thought the unit sales numbers would fall that way at Porsche.

After watching the video and the fact that my eyes love the Macan, I kinda get it though.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts