VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It's a lifted GTI+.

My car has about the same utility at half or less the price.

But affluent mommies will still buy them.
Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

How do these things sell?!?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I don't love it, but I don't mind it.

Looks like the Macan's sales numbers are holding steady and are as good as ever. Remember when these had a waiting list?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
The Macan (along with the SQ5) strikes me as a fantastic single-car solution if you can only have one car. I think it looks pretty good, if not great, certainly one of the better-looking SUV/CUVs out there. If we were to do what we always threaten to do and move out of our house into the burbs into a city condo (after the kids leave) then a Macan would make a whole lot of sense merging our 3 vehicles down into just one.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Holy **** I just googled it and the Golf R has almost exactly the same cargo space with the seats down, and actually more space in the back with the seats up than the Macan.

You got my curious so I went out on the web and found these graphics as Porsche doesnt seem to publish the Macan's interior dimensions.

Ironically the Golf, Stelvio and S5 Sportback have more room. Go figure...

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,150 Posts

Because omg not a car!

There’s no making sense of it.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts

it's a Porsche with 4 seats that you can get for under $80k.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I'll start this off that I'm not an SUV guy. Not in the least. I had an allroad that I loved until very recently.
The Macan's design is great to me, I think they hit a home run with it, the refresh isn't my cup of tea yet -- I don't think the rear light bar works -- but it is a great car.
My main gripe is that the hatch window angle kills any space in the trunk and thus killing the usefulness for me with a dog and now a baby.

We added an SQ5 over a year ago, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much the same exact car, BUT it has a lot more space. I am an avant/wagon guy all the way, always grew up with them in Europe, but the SQ5 fit more than the allroad, maybe just due to the height of the interior (from floor to roof?) but we've carried all sorts of things and I've been really impressed. We can tow with it and that's a big plus. The car is APR stage 2+ and is a hoot to drive, I will be lowering it to euro ride height soon and apparently it will make the car feel more planted.

To the guy saying a Macan is a GTI+, get real. Drive one and you'll see how much the GTI is lacking. Yes, it does have little space, but I can see why this thing sells like hot cakes. My neighbor has a GTS and it is A LOT of fun to drive.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts

People want to sit higher and its a Porsche with 4 seats. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I'll start this off that I'm not an SUV guy. Not in the least. I had an allroad that I loved until very recently.
The Macan's design is great to me, I think they hit a home run with it, the refresh isn't my cup of tea yet -- I don't think the rear light bar works -- but it is a great car.
My main gripe is that the hatch window angle kills any space in the trunk and thus killing the usefulness for me with a dog and now a baby.

We added an SQ5 over a year ago, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much the same exact car, BUT it has a lot more space. I am an avant/wagon guy all the way, always grew up with them in Europe, but the SQ5 fit more than the allroad, maybe just due to the height of the interior (from floor to roof?) but we've carried all sorts of things and I've been really impressed. We can tow with it and that's a big plus. The car is APR stage 2+ and is a hoot to drive, I will be lowering it to euro ride height soon and apparently it will make the car feel more planted.

To the guy saying a Macan is a GTI+, get real. Drive one and you'll see how much the GTI is lacking. Yes, it does have little space, but I can see why this thing sells like hot cakes. My neighbor has a GTS and it is A LOT of fun to drive.
Your points about the SQ5 are true. I have been given Q5 loaners multiple times, they are not a GTIs. The GTI drives better! Its smaller and lighter. IMHO there is a difference in the driving between the SQ5 and the Macan but it is not night and day despite what the media says. Yes the Porsche drives better but its not 20K+ better.

Ultimately it comes down to what your needs and wants are. I only carry people in the back occasionally so it being tight is not a big deal. What I do care about is that it has 4 doors, a hatch and a seat that can be folded for when I need to carry things.

When you own a home you go to Home Depot A LOT. I would not be able to function without a car that couldnt carry things. When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,453 Posts
When you own a home you go to Home Depot A LOT. I would not be able to function without a car that couldnt carry things. When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.
Have owned homes for the last 10 years and I wouldn't say I go to Home Depot a lot. If I do and I need more space I grab my dad's Golf wagon or my buddy's F-150.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,175 Posts
When I was renovating my kitchen I brought home an in the wall microwave oven (which are big) in the back of my Audi A3 sportback. That would not happen in 911 or a sedan.
Once upon a time we actually fit an in-wall microwave in the back seat of our Jetta. I had thought I'd be strapping it to the roof rack but surprisingly it cleared by a quarter inch or so.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
One guy I know autocrosses his and puts respectable times on it, but he also uses it to tow his champcar e46 bmw lol

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Have owned homes for the last 10 years and I wouldn't say I go to Home Depot a lot. If I do and I need more space I grab my dad's Golf wagon or my buddy's F-150.
If you are doing renovations you will ;) . So far I have done the kitchen and both upstairs baths. Plus other stuff.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
If you are doing renovations you will ;) . So far I have done the kitchen and both upstairs baths. Plus other stuff.
I've owned two houses. The first was brand new, and I went to HD only occasionally.

The second is 60 years old and I gut-rehabbed the basement and it was to the point where when I left the house at any time other than 8AM on a weekday, the predictive analytics on my iPhone would tell me how long it would take me to get to Home depot.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
One guy I know autocrosses his and puts respectable times on it, but he also uses it to tow his champcar e46 bmw lol
As I said before, that sort of capability is the one thing that makes me like it. It's not the best tool for any specific job, but if you need to tow and want something you can have fun in, there really aren't many alternatives. They do seem to depreciate nicely, which means they aren't a terrible deal used.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts