VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (StupidGTI)

Although leather is not a warm material, it is very resilient. Bomber jackets are warm since they have cotton underneath the leather. Fur coats are the warmest you can buy, but the cool factor is on the negative scale. Three quarter length coats provide the most warmth since they cover more of your body, but they aren't as cool as a jacket. Cotton and plastic coats are cheaper, but aren't as good as leather. Check out Leather outlets, and buy something bulky made from suede or leather. There are some Outlet stores south of Yorkdale Mall on Orfus Rd. they stock the lower end quality of jackets. Check out the International Centre between Jan 15 -18.
http://www.internationalcentre.com/main/events.cfm

· Registered
5,941 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (B_artman)

Ive got a Helly Hansen HellyTECH jacket and ive been quite warm during this cold spell and its good for when it warms up too, breathability is great. Check their website out, u can score a free DVD too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also if you are looking for more dressy coats, go with wool/cashmere over leather, i find leather isnt warm at all.

Modified by pubahs at 11:04 PM 1-9-2004

· Registered
'09 135i, '22 CX5 Turbo
15,136 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (hawc)

Quote, originally posted by hawc »
North Face!!!

Get the Nuptse in black it's warm as hell. I swear by it and I always get cold. About $300 from Sporting Life.

Agreed. I have a north face down filled bomber... very warm. I also have a north face 3-in-1 snow boarding jacket, pretty warm too.
My wool coat from the gap isn't all that warm, but I have to stay stylish right?

· Registered
1,454 Posts

north face

Modified by Dubpremo at 11:46 AM 1-10-2004

· Registered
4,947 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (B_artman)

Quote, originally posted by B_artman »
most skiing jackets are really warm.
starting with Columbia 3 piece jackets, Couloir, helly hensen, etc etc.

No doubt, my Ride jacket is the lightest, warmest jacket i've ever owned. Theyre designed to keep you warm while you're ripping down a mountain so you cant go wrong with it.

· Banned
14,107 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (TurboNasty)

Hmmm... looks like the North Face link died for some reason unless it's just not loading on my computer.
Anyway, StupidGTI, before I got into advertising I worked at Sporting Life for like five years (part-time) and I worked in the outerwear department. So here's what I can tell you.
North Face, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Arctarx (sp?) are all pretty much the absolute best most expensive jackets you can buy. If you get down filled from any of these makes you will be toasty warm. They use a higher quality of goose down and more of it, than some of the cheaper brands. Their quality of construction is also extremely high and they have all have amazing warranties should anything happen to it. You will not be dissapointed with any of those brands.
Should those be a bit too expensive (they tend to start at about $350 and go up from there) a good down jacket from Mountain Equipment Coop or Europe Bound is your next best bang for the buck and are also very well made.
One you leave those two and say get something from Eddie Bauer, or Polo, or Tommy Hilfiger or Fubu some other fashion brand name you start to pay a bit more for the brand and are not necessarily getting the best bang for the buck. They're not as good from a technical purely functional point of view.
Oh yeah, Helly Hansen is aslo quite good.
Hope that helps keep you warm this winter. Get on it!

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ps. don't fall for the whole layering system thing with some jackets (like Columbia), yes it should work in theory, but I've found in practice it just doesn't keep you warm enough. Plus you have the added hassle of putting on a bunch of layers every time you put it on. A good down filled jacket is absolutely your best bet.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (mojojojo.ca)

Quote, originally posted by mojojojo.ca »

Agreed! MEC Down coats.
The North Face is very, very nice, if you have the money for it.

Ditto.. North Face is WAY overpriced. Sure, they make great gear, but you can buy equal quality for less from other manufacturers.
I agree with the layers comment above as well.. If you want to be prepared, buy a layering system.. I personally "built my own" at MEC with a 3-ply gore-tex shell, and some fleece. That way you can use a couple of different fleeces depending on the temperature, and also use the shell when it's warm out. I wear my gore-tex year round. It's my rain coat in the summer, and the shell component of my insulation in the other 3 months: light fleece in the spring/fall, heavy fleece in the winter.
The smartest thing to do is to just go out there and start trying things on.. I mean, what I consider a great coat might not fit anyone else. It's just like anything else, go out and try everything you can get your hands on before you buy anything.

· Registered
1,710 Posts

Quote, originally posted by hawc »
Plus you have the added hassle of putting on a bunch of layers every time you put it on.

I just keep the shell/fleece together. So, it's no different that putting on one piece.
It's pretty simple.. And even still, it only takes 5 seconds to put on a coat, or 10 seconds to put on two coats.. It's not that difficult.
It depends somewhat on what you're going to be doing though as well.. I mean, for hiking/skiing/etc I like the ability to swap around layers.. But that might not be a valid "feature" for somebody else.

· Banned
14,107 Posts
Re: Who makes the best winter jacket? (Somnambulant)

Quote, originally posted by Somnambulant »
If you want to be prepared, buy a layering system.. I personally "built my own" at MEC with a 3-ply gore-tex shell, and some fleece. That way you can use a couple of different fleeces depending on the temperature, and also use the shell when it's warm out. I wear my gore-tex year round. It's my rain coat in the summer, and the shell component of my insulation in the other 3 months: light fleece in the spring/fall, heavy fleece in the winter.

Layering makes sense in theory and works if you do it right, but it can really be a pain in the butt unless you're going out on a mountain expedition or something. I've tried the whole layering thing, with a nice gore-tex shell, then say a thicker, fleece and a lighter fleece underneath it and then something else. But it always feels like you're wearing three jackets and is super uncomfortable to drive in. The beauty of a big down filled jacket (like North Face) is it's really, really, really light and you just throw it on when you get out of the car and whip it off when you're in the car and it's warmed up. Also going between classes it's a pain to have all those layers everytime you put your coat on, whereas with a down jacket you just throw it on.
A down jacket like the Mountain Hardware one above or the North Face Nuptse I have is just like a big puffy comforter/sleeping bag, whereas the layered system is like using lots of thin blankets to build up heat.
To each his own I guess, but I absolutely guarantee you you'll be happier with down.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.