VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (theflygtiguy)

quote:[HR][/HR]dont know, but i do know that volkswagen should not be on this list.[HR][/HR]​
I don't know about that. Then engines all run fine....it's everything else around it that has issues.

·
Banned
2,158 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (rally-dub)

Actually i disagree about VW engines. Honda makes engines last longer when bought new. Ever heard the expression
"Works like a Japanese car"
It works great for a long period of time, but once the problems start, you might as well just toss it, cuz they'll never stop.
With my VR once i established what a problem is and replaced it with a proper part, its all nice and dandy, till some other day. So i'd rather spend some minor $$$ fixing problems that come by every now and then.
I know a lot of honda owners, and they tell me how i always have problems with my $hiT. Well we in NA got the luxury of Mexican A3's and some A4's. And let's face it majority of the problems are electrical not mechanical.
I'll go split decision between honda and VW motors.
I was specifically mentioning the VR6
i have a 1.8l A2 with about 280.000KM on it, burns a bit of oil (a bit). Aside from that. NOOOOOO PROBLEMSSSSSS
i'm sure a lot of other people would agree.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (rally-dub)

Toyota, by far. I've seen Toyotas easily do 200+k with maintenance that most other cars wouldn't last 100K on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Our 1985 Toyota Van was still running strong at 195K, and we abused that thing.

[Modified by EchoOfGecko, 3:52 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (EchoOfGecko)

Japanese cars in general.
General rule:
Japanese cars: Most efficient, reliable.
German cars: Great fit, finish, feel, overcomplicated, expensive, and less reliable
American cars: Poor build, poor reliability, not much good really.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (LostBoyScout)

Jeah, German stuff is odd but very functional. For instance, who the hell as ever heard of lug bolts?!?! I hate the damn things, why can't we have wheel studs?

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (Dr. Blingonian)

quote:[HR][/HR]Japanese cars: Most efficient, reliable.
German cars: Great fit, finish, feel, overcomplicated, expensive, and less reliable
American cars: Poor build, poor reliability, not much good really. [HR][/HR]​
strongly agree with that statement

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (kilmer420)

Nissans have been arond my family for a while...each one got atleast 200k without any trouble, or any big maintnace......i have to admit that i have spent sooo much money on my dub just to keep it going....no problems with the motor itslef...but all the little things always seem to go wrong

·
Banned
1,107 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (kilmer420)

quote:[HR][/HR]Japanese cars: Most efficient, reliable.
American cars: Poor build, poor reliability, not much good really.
strongly agree with that statement[HR][/HR]​
agree also http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (VdubSPEEDracer)

American cars suck. my dads got a suburban and damn, that thing breaks every 5 months. and its 99% plastic. and that cheesy plastic. sick. really sad stuff.
peace,

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

VW does make some reliable engines. I would consider their usual 8v 4-bangers to be very reliable. I've known a few to go well past the 200k mile mark.
I personally think the VR6 engine is very reliable, but maintenance can be very expensive (especially when timing chain, guides, and tensioners need to be replaced). I'm currently at 102k miles and it still runs like a top and holds great compression in all cylinders.
The G60's were built with VERY strong bottom-ends (forged crank, rods, lower compression, etc), but had a very un-reliable supercharger.

The 16v 4-bangers were fine until the timing belt broke.

·
Banned
2,360 Posts

my passat 2.0 16v had 224,000 on it when i rebuilt it and the only reason i rebuilt it was because it needed a head gasket so i figured what the hell. the sylinders were perfect and it looked like a 50000 mile motor. Japanese motors are extremely reliable also. if you want true longevity, buy a diesel. cummins motors and cat motors go for a million miles in semi's all the time.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (pimpinGLX)

According to Guinness a 1966 Volvo P1800 has the record of ~1.7 million miles. Also, there is an 1982 Toyota that has gone over 1 million on the original engine (which the Volvo can't claim).

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (WRC Vento)

My '84 Jetta had 245,XXX when we ended our relationship. Motor still pulled strong....The MKI suspension sucked though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Re: who makes the most reliable engines? (askibum02)

i dont knwo, i have to go with teh diesel. my dad had an 85 diesel brand new, sold it in 90 with 295,000 miles, still ran strong. nothing but normal tune ups.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.