VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32,010 Posts
Fancy flat screen ash trays in the doors too!

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,874 Posts
This brand is so lost. They really should have bifurcated these two lines of business a la Polestar.

It's weird to me that a brand that hinged on heritage and motorsports DNA has obfuscated all of that in place of technology for technology's sake. The performance/enthusiast demographic is starting to become alienated by that directional shift.

While Turner is running brand new M4 GTS cars and winning, BMW is like "hey check out this TV"

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,996 Posts
I personally like it.
This brand is so lost. They really should have bifurcated these two lines of business a la Polestar.
😆 I mean, GM is coming out with Corvette sedan and a SUV, so BMW is doing nothing different.

I personally like it. I had a current gen 7er (base) as a loaner once and thought it was comfortable, luxurious, tech-laden car. The optional TV is just icing on the cake. I'm sure Alpina version won't even offer this.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,520 Posts
I bet it uses one of those rear mirror cameras to get around the visibility issue.

·
Registered
32,010 Posts
I bet it uses one of those rear mirror cameras to get around the visibility issue.
They don't need it, no-look no-signal lane changes are a perk of BMW ownership.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Man, imagine playing split screen video games on that thing with a friend. Not many more fun ways to enjoy a large back seat (there's obviously one way that's more fun...).

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Man, imagine playing split screen video games on that thing with a friend. Not many more fun ways to enjoy a large back seat (there's obviously one way that's more fun...).
If I’m doing that I’d rather do it in my living room with a 120” projector.I don’t think I’ll ever be on a car trip long enough to boot up a PS5 in the car.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,874 Posts
I personally like it.
I try to choose my words carefully, I didn't say "this sucks" because as a passenger I'm sure it would be cool to just chill and watch something funny or silly on my way to the destination. In car entertainment by itself isn't really awful, but this execution is just...bombastic.

😆 I mean, GM is coming out with Corvette sedan and a SUV, so BMW is doing nothing different.
I disagree with you there, man. GM using some brand cache and injecting some spice into relatively sleepy segment (sedans and SUVs) isn't the same as BMW completely abandoning being 'The Ultimate Driving Machine."

They've let a lot of their products go off into no-mans land, and the lineup has been a mess for like a decade.

I personally like it. I had a current gen 7er (base) as a loaner once and thought it was comfortable, luxurious, tech-laden car. The optional TV is just icing on the cake. I'm sure Alpina version won't even offer this.
Sure but you're not watching it if you're driving. That's my point. Alpina won't offer this because Alpina buyers aren't obsessed with tech, they want a coherent and unique package that's different.

This is just a big screen behind the front seats. West Coast Customs did this in 2004.

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,996 Posts
They've let a lot of their products go off into no-mans land, and the lineup has been a mess for like a decade.
I'd have to agree with you there. FWD Bimmers are bit too understeery for my taste. But so does my S4. Maybe I'm just not a BMW purist (well can't afford to anyway).

Sure but you're not watching it if you're driving. That's my point. Alpina won't offer this because Alpina buyers aren't obsessed with tech, they want a coherent and unique package that's different.
I actually like this setup better than Mercedes' dual screens though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts