VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Who Owns the Highest Mileage W8? (beneviva)

That's got to be a record! Do you have tips/secrets for the rest of us?
If I thought I could get 133K out of my new W8 engine I would keep the car. I plan to trade for a 328Xi or a G35X in the next year or 2.
I would really like an S4 Avant, but I'm leary of anything related to this W8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, here is something I heard from a local VW mechanic: he told me that the W8 engine was designed to be used with LongLife oils and he thought it is not a good idea to use any non-longlife oils in it. I'm puzzled to learn that VW in US actually recommends using non-longlife oils with W8....
Anyway, my W8 has been fed only Castrol LL 2 & 3 (SLX, Professional Powerflow) & Shell Ultra Helix VX (Longlife 3 oil made for VW) . I don't know if that's the magic that has made my cam tensioners last this far, but I'm going to heed that mechanics advice in the future too.
About torque converter: I have changed gear box fluids & filter once, don't know if that has helped with the converter. I have heard that the W8's tiptronic gearbox has different setup in US when compared to European version? Maybe that affects on the longevity of the gearbox?
++ben

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Who Owns the Highest Mileage W8? (un4givun2)

My 2003 W8 has gone 62500 miles. I wont keep mine to a ripe old age, I dont have the million dollars to keep it so long. I'll trade in when the warrantee is over in 2010

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Who Owns the Highest Mileage W8? (flavin42)

MINW IS A 2002 AND HAS 160.000 !!!! AND SINCE YESTERDAY IS GIVING ME PROBLEMS... WITCH WE CANT FIGURE IT OUT FOR SURE YET!!!! IT SUCKS... BUT I LOVE MY W8 CAR!!! WISH I COULD GET ANOTHER ONE STICK SHIFT

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Who Owns the Highest Mileage W8? (W8_GIRL)

What kind of problems? Rough Idle with the Check Engine Light. If so - add a can of seafoam and trade as soon as possible. That was my angry 'I lost a lot of money on that car' response that I couldn't help but make. Either way if those are the symptoms you are having it is sound advice. Oh yeah -trade somewhere other than a VW dealer who may be clueless to cam failure blues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
155,000 and now looking to get rid of it. possible leaking head gasket?... ive dumped so much money into this thing.. i loved it. its a tank in the snow

counter-balance shaft belt/tensioner
exhaust
thermostat and sensors
ac compressor and sensor
headlight housing
bumper supports
control arms
wheels and tires
headlights (dumped the HID to LED)
brake lines
dome light
heated seat switch

now ive got ABS issues, my PCV is busted and there is no replacements ANYWHERE and i noticed coolant leaking from Bank #2 head.. done..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts