VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do. A guy today told me a Turbo S can "run an Audi TT off the road" in terms of handling. And that you can take a corner @ 120mph and not touch the pedals (because of some automatic braking system? I haven't heard of it on the Turbo S, but I believe it if it actually has it).

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
9,106 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (Andrman)

Ask him to go do it while you drink coffee and watch.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

Rhahahahaha
Did he also tell you he has to put food on the table for his kids like when I looked at a Mazda P5?

I do think its silly. He actually used to be a car salesman

·
Registered
956 Posts

I've noticed that car slalesmen hate the Internet too, probably 'cause they know that anyone who spent an hour researching their car of choice knows more than them.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (impact)

quote:[HR][/HR]They are salesmen. They are supposed to know quite a lot about the stuff they're selling...[HR][/HR]​
But it seems many of them don't...

[Modified by Andrman, 4:33 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
19,963 Posts

I don't like salesmen period. Whether they're selling cars, stereos or whatever. I don't need someone trying to talk me into something I don't want and/or need. When I go to buy a car, I already know the model, color and options I want. And I always know more about the car I am buying than the salesman does.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (zukiphile)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ask him to go do it while you drink coffee and watch.[HR][/HR]​
LOL

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

I liked the one who tried to tell me that a Neon that I was looking at had all season tires. It had lowprofile summer tires on (Yokahama I believe). At this point I left.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (alman)

i hate it when they dont know what they are talking about. while at the columbus car show, i went to the VW section and asked on eof the dealer reps "do you have a new 24 valve VR6 here?" he looked at me for a second and then said "a what?" i was just like, forget it, and walked over to the turbo S.
this guy actually was a salesman from the vw department at Hatfeild auto mall, one of the 3 VW dealers here in central OH.
pathetic

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (brianpgriset)

ive been told by a mazda dealer that a p5 can out accelerate an rx-7

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (brianpgriset)

I have numerous experiences on both sides of the fence. Just realize there ARE two sides to the story, and believe me, I get jacked around big time by customers.
I have been told I am TOO honest. Believe that.
I have been told I bore customers when talking about the car. So sometimes you may be mistaking lies with generalizations. We have no idea how much you know about the car. Most of you will say "yeah, I know a little about it." and leave it at that.
I agree there is a LOT of ego in this business, and some of these clowns think they can tell you anything. I try to be the Vortexer "model salesman" and you know where it gets me? Dead last for my dealership this month.
I recall being very nice to one of my customers whom I went to school with. I was honest, and helped as much as I can. But when transport messed with the order and I had to do an "er ahh" on when the car would be in, it nearly cost me my job because she went straight to the GM instead of giving me consideration and letting me do my job.
Us car salesman have to put up with twice the crap most customers have to put up with. We have to produce the numbers or we are gone. I have seen salesmen who last 5 hours from point of hire and they are fired.
This is a cutthroat business. Customers need to realize that, and they also need to realize that they make it twice as hard as it needs to be 90% of the time.

·
Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (strlen)

The salesman I whent to at Springfield VW knows his stuff! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
i usually know more about a car than the salesman, so i quiz them by asking stupid questions. me and my friend were looking at a sentra spec-v and we were looking under the hood. i'm all "so is there anything in this car that limits the slip of the differential?" he's all "no, you can still make the back end swing out." i could hardly keep from busting out laughing. then we're driving and discussing the difference between the base se-r and the spec-v. he's like "the only difference is the continuous vtec" yet again i could hardly keep from laughing.

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (DohRado)

quote:[HR][/HR]i usually know more about a car than the salesman, so i quiz them by asking stupid questions. me and my friend were looking at a sentra spec-v and we were looking under the hood. i'm all "so is there anything in this car that limits the slip of the differential?" he's all "no, you can still make the back end swing out." i could hardly keep from busting out laughing. then we're driving and discussing the difference between the base se-r and the spec-v. he's like "the only difference is the continuous vtec" yet again i could hardly keep from laughing. [HR][/HR]​

Act like a moron, be treated like one. Act like an informed individual, and your chances of being treated like a person go up exponentially.
Remember what I said, we get jacked around way more than you do, if you can believe that. I tend to be a lot more sincere to an informed customer, or at least a customer who is sincerely looking to be educated about the car if they don't know much about it.
I guess all I ask is most of us (most, not all, there are bad apples in the bunch) take our jobs seriously and we need to make money too. The idea is fairness.

[Modified by mtrainVR6, 5:55 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
19,819 Posts

he wasnt lieing, never said which RX7, a P5 will out accel a 1st gen and an N/A 2nd gen

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Who thinks it's silly when car salesmen lie to you? (a2a4raddo)

quote:[HR][/HR]he wasnt lieing, never said which RX7, a P5 will out accel a 1st gen and an N/A 2nd gen[HR][/HR]​
it will not out accelerate a 2700 lb, 160 hp n/a second gen. and it will not out accelerate a turbo 1st gen. does anyone even remember about first gens anyway? i doubt it will out accelerate an n/a 1st gen either, they've had 100 hp, but weighed almost nothing.

·
Banned
166 Posts

Used car lots are the worst. Well, my dad owns one, but it's legit, not like 80% of the other lots.
Near my dad's lot is a car lot that has a lot of nice Bimmers. My bro and I decided that it would be cool to just go and take an 850 for a test drive. So we go to the lot and start asking the guy questions about the car such as milege etc. We finally asked him if it had been in any acidents, the guy said no. Mind you that my family is Persian, we speak Farsi. In Farsi, another saleman told the guy me and my bro were dealing with "Its been in a couple of accidents." Our salesman tells the guy "Yeah but they dont have to know that"
So in Farsi, my bro tells me "lets go tell dad this"...and walk off. The look on the guys face was priceless. Stupid ******.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I have been told that a Corolla is safer than an S80 during a head-on collision.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts