VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.speedarena.com/cgi-...=2360
"Also in attendance for the event was Carsport America owner Tom Weickardt, who will oversee its journey to Florida and helm its full 2003 ALMS campaign in the GTS category."
they were at Sebring so short that if you blinked you missed their presence.
i counted zero on the track at Road Atlanta this past weekend. from all the hype that these online forums create, you'd think that the Zonda could be POWERED BY press releases

are these guys belly up before they even started? that would stink!
obin

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Re: Whoot! Where them Zondas at? (Obin Robinson)

The Zonda was rebuilt in the Netherlands after Le Mans and could not be rebuilt and shipped to the US in time for the Atlanta race. So instead of not showing up at the race the Carsport America team ran their Viper, that they have been running for the last two years at every ALMS race.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Whoot! Where them Zondas at? (130_R)

but why was the Zonda in the paddock then packed away before the crowds came?
obin

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
but why was the Zonda in the paddock then packed away before the crowds came?
obin

What race were you watching because there wasn't a Zonda a Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

it was in the transporter truck.
obin

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

Regardless of where it is, I didnt see it at Atlanta, but if you did then it must have been there
, what we do know is that with the problems with the engine and tranny they have been having, they are in the process of updating the car. They are going to be using a new tranny and are going to a 7 liter engine from the current 6 liter.
In any case the upgrades were not finished in time for this race.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

it was in the transporter truck.
obin

This is quite an interesting development, as no one at the race has been able to quantify this statement as fact. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote, originally posted by 130_R »

This is quite an interesting development, as no one at the race has been able to quantify this statement as fact. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

why don't you just call up and ask the Carsport guys?

obin

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

why don't you just call up and ask the Carsport guys?

obin

Well, I did a Q&A with Tom Wiekardt on Friday for a Pagani story I am working on, pretty sure there wasn't a Pagani in the transporter while we were talking. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote, originally posted by 130_R »

Well, I did a Q&A with Tom Wiekardt on Friday for a Pagani story I am working on, pretty sure there wasn't a Pagani in the transporter while we were talking. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

so why don't you just call him up and ask if it was in the transporter on Sunday morning?
obin

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

so why don't you just call him up and ask if it was in the transporter on Sunday morning?
obin

Ok. But will email work?
Quote »
The Pagani is in Europe, and was not in our transporter. Things are going well and a test in Europe is scheduled for later this week.

Best wishes,
Eric Burch
Carsport America

I think that answers it Obin.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Whoot! Where them Zondas at? (glxdriver)

Quote, originally posted by glxdriver »

I think that answers it Obin.

ok, cool, i'll tell my friends it must have been another Pagani then (private non-team car then?).
one thing is for CERTAIN: it sure ain't on the race track!

obin

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Whoot! Where them Zondas at? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Obin what part of that did you not understand? Really don't know what your point(if any is).

so i'm not allowed to answer glxdriver's post either? my point? i'm probably not allowed to post "my point" here because it'll open up a can of worms and invite about 40 thousand trolls.

obin

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
It's ALL gotten old....

hey, don't feel bad though. this quality of this site is light-years ahead of many of the other racing sites out there. the motorsports discussion here at least is moderated by people authorized to moderate and are in some way affiliated with vwvortex. the people here are at least old enough to drive, and have teeth, and usually offer validated information... which is more than i can say for some of the motorsports sites and bulletin boards.

obin

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Re: (Obin Robinson)

Ok, ok guys. Lets tone it down a bit.
I dont know what your buddy saw Obin, I never saw a Zonda at all there and like Eric who runs the team said it is still in Europe.
They are trying to get the car up to speed, they had a lot of problems at Sebring this year and they also had a bunch at Le Mans. At Sebring they had an engine give up and at Le Mans they went through three trannys. When Eric said the car was in Europe, it is in the process of getting a new engine and tranny fitted to it to hopefully increase its hp and its reliability.
They will be back, Eric assures me. We should see it at the next race at Sears (Infineon) next month. Hopefully it will last more than a few laps this time.
One thing I am confident of, no matter how long it takes, at some point it will be up to speed and it should be exciting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Zonda in the ALMS

Guys,
We do appreciate how popular the Zonda is and will be. The car was not in the transporter at Atlanta, it was actually getting ready for the test at Spa in Belgium at that time. That test went very well, and saw the car do 70 problem free laps at competative GTS times - this was with the 6 litre engine and gearbox from Le Mans.
I am only responding to clear up some issues, as I don't normally go on the message boards, but do appreciate the interest.
Our initial goal, and until very recently was to run one Viper and one Zonda in the full ALMS season. Due to our developement program with the Zonda, we have changed that a bit to test as much as possible away from the public eye until we feel the car is reliable, fast and the true GTS contender we all feel it will be. We are continueing with our Viper program developement as well. As many could see by our times at both Sebring and Atlanta, it has come a long way since last season. We will be testing the Viper in Fontana next week en route to Sonoma.
The Zonda will not be at Sears Point or any of the Canadian events as they conflict with our goals for developing the car. If possible, we will bring the car over from Europe in September in the hopes of running the last few events. Our mission is to do very well with this car at Petit Le Mans.
With the addition of a third Prodrive Ferrari, and their driver lineup, we will have to step it up even further. We try to keep our site updated as much as possible, or you can email me directly from that site as well.
Again, thanks for your interest in the program, it is good to know you're watching us!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts