VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by the dealership today since the 2022 order guides have been made available. Unfortunately I can't officially order it until the 13th, but GSM has mine specced and the order should go in Wednesday. Uncertain on whether or not I'll have to place a $100 "reserve" on one online or not, but will know more in the next day or two.

I'm going with a Black Diamond in Eruption Green. Insulated hard top and a manual transmission will likely be my only options. Anyone else here going to be ordering one?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not until they go full EV with it, which I think will come by 2024. I plan on sticking with my Alltrack until the right EV comes along, and I would love for that to be the Bronco.

With the way everything is heading, I can't see buying a gas vehicle for my next DD.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not until they go full EV with it, which I think will come by 2024. I plan on sticking with my Alltrack until the right EV comes along, and I would love for that to be the Bronco.

With the way everything is heading, I can't see buying a gas vehicle for my next DD.
To be fair, one of the reasons this interests me is because I think it'll be one of the last generations of this vehicle we can purchase with a gas motor and manual transmission. I'm all about everything going electric, but I want one last taste of petrol before it's over.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,592 Posts

Same here. Either full EV Bronco or maybe a PHEV would be great so long as it had ~40mi EV range.

·
Registered
469 Posts
To be fair, one of the reasons this interests me is because I think it'll be one of the last generations of this vehicle we can purchase with a gas motor and manual transmission. I'm all about everything going electric, but I want one last taste of petrol before it's over.
I get it, but I just think big oil is going to squeeze every last drop of profit out of us over the next five years as things begin to shift. Gas where I am is $3.70 and climbing, and I think its just going to keep going that way

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,374 Posts
It’s top of my list when the Tacoma lease is up. We’ll see if the market settles down by then. Also a hybrid option would be excellent.

·
Registered
9,689 Posts

Sincere question: why?

To me, vehicles like the Bronco (and Wrangler, etc) are bought due to the promise of adventure. I want to take it to far away places and do cool stuff with it. And that doesn’t lend itself to EVs. PHEVs, yes, but not really EVs. Seems like the opposite of what I’d want to use a Bronco for, unless it’s just for flexing around town. Ya know?

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
To me, vehicles like the Bronco (and Wrangler, etc) are bought due to the promise of adventure.
Yeah, if you want a Ford EV ute the Mach E is the answer.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I was kicking the idea around in my head, but realistically even the base model would offer way more off road capability than I'd feel comfortable doing with a $30k+ vehicle, and the new Civic Type R renders make me want to spend my $35-$40k there.

·
Registered
48,572 Posts

To me, vehicles like the Bronco (and Wrangler, etc) are bought due to the promise of adventure. I want to take it to far away places and do cool stuff with it. And that doesn’t lend itself to EVs. PHEVs, yes, but not really EVs. Seems like the opposite of what I’d want to use a Bronco for, unless it’s just for flexing around town. Ya know?
Agreed, but I do think that PHEVs answer that question pretty handily, as you know. Yes, more than 25 would be best, but it certainly would take the gas hog sting out of my 29 mile (both ways) commute! The only bummer would be the lack of a manual transmission, but that's the way of things. The 'last hurrah' of the Bronco/Wrangler with a manual is now.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,592 Posts

Agreed which is why I'd consider a PHEV, however baring in mind it'll probably be like 2025 before an EV Bronco comes out who knows maybe those concerns will be addressed as range/charge times/charge points all improve. Basically I'll plan for an EV assuming things improve over the coming years but fall back on PHEV if they don't meet expectations...either way I'm holding out for some kind of electrified Bronco.

1 - 20 of 510 Posts