VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Premium Member
31,821 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (soccergk)

+1.
this should probbly stay in the detailing forum, but whatever.
i've done it. it makes yer car all slippy. good for your track times.

· Registered
18,974 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (spoonie)

Quote, originally posted by spoonie »
+1.
this should probbly stay in the detailing forum, but whatever.
i've done it. it makes yer car all slippy. good for your track times.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Spoonie made a funny.

· Registered
6,088 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (spoonie)

it's to get surface grime off your car, bug guts, anything that has been imbedded into the wax
takes the surface wax off the car, down to clearcoat in a lot of cases
keep the claybar lubed (with water) so it doesn't start pulling on paint
then rinse it off real quick, dry and wax ASAP

· Registered
13,393 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (VikingVR6GTI)

Quote, originally posted by VikingVR6GTI »
I've done it a couple of time and it works wonders. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I beg to differ, yes i got blood stains off my grille and some other little things but it really didnt do that much. if you have some slight inperfections that u wana get out, sure it works great. But personaly i think its hyped up to much.
maybe i used it wrong.. but spray and slide across paint 2x2 feet sections at a time after a washed car. kneed the clay ever so often.

· Registered
21,967 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (vdubstreets)

I've clay bar'ed a few cars though my girlfriends white Jetta was the worst. We thought the car was white but sure wasnt until after we finished. We did half the hood and you can see the difference...was crazy. Like said before very time consuming and make sure you apply a good coat of carnuba wax. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
21,282 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vdubstreets »

I beg to differ, yes i got blood stains off my grille and some other little things but it really didnt do that much. if you have some slight inperfections that u wana get out, sure it works great. But personaly i think its hyped up to much.
maybe i used it wrong.. but spray and slide across paint 2x2 feet sections at a time after a washed car. kneed the clay ever so often.

Personally, both times I did it, I could feel the paint getting smoother as I went along. You can feel the grit under the clay bar, then run the bar over it again, and no grit.

· Registered
13,393 Posts

i was told you could acutly rub it in, but on the box (which is what i did) you are supposed to just slide it across. I feel that its only somewhat of a help on the hood front bumper things that are attracting flys and other small fragments. i wasnt amazed or anyhting. i think that stage one of the 3 step does a better job of cleaning the paint.

· Registered
11,491 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vdubstreets »
i was told you could acutly rub it in, but on the box (which is what i did) you are supposed to just slide it across. I feel that its only somewhat of a help on the hood front bumper things that are attracting flys and other small fragments. i wasnt amazed or anyhting. i think that stage one of the 3 step does a better job of cleaning the paint.

You don't rub the clay in .. you lube the surface with the spray and slide it over the paint .. it pulls contaminats off AND *out* of the surface. You can't really see what it does but you feel it .. put your fingers in a baggie and move it over the area before and after ..
Stage one is a chemical cleaner and doesn't do the same job. It would be used after the clay ..

· Registered
3,455 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VikingVR6GTI »

Personally, both times I did it, I could feel the paint getting smoother as I went along. You can feel the grit under the clay bar, then run the bar over it again, and no grit.

I agree...this is exactly the experience I had with claying, and I have done a few different types of vehicles. I recommend Mother's Clay bar system, because it comes with a clay bar and spray wax (used to lube the clay bar and the body panels). Make sure the clay bar is soaked with spray wax as well as the panels you are claying, and do one panel at a time, working from the roof down. You will need to apply your preferred wax afterwards, and you will notice a difference, even on a brand new car.
However, I would use a bug and tar remover first on the lower parts of the car, and if you drop the clay bar on the ground...throw it out. It is sticky and will pick up dirt, tiny rocks, etc, and rub them into your paint!

· Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (Maddave10)

Every little thing you can do to improve the surface of your paint prior to wax/sealant is going to be reflected in the outcome.
The steps and care are the reason some cars look deep , wet and awesome .. and some just look .. shiny

· Registered
18,974 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (Jesstzn)

The clay bar basically saved my paint. I had two stuck pistons on one of my wilwood calipers and ended up going through a set of pads in a month. There was a lot of brake dust that ended up embedded in the paint of the lower half of my car. I tried everything to get it out, including washing the car with dishsoap to no avail. As a last ditch effort I tried the clay bar and what do you know, it worked like a charm. Took ALL the brake dust off the paint, and after about 7 hours of claybar, polishing, and waxing, the car looked like it self again. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Claybar also works good for getting road tar off, and grime and what not out of the painted door moldings.

· Registered
238 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (VDoubleUVR6)

Quote, originally posted by VDoubleUVR6 »
I've clay bar'ed a few cars though my girlfriends white Jetta was the worst. We thought the car was white but sure wasnt until after we finished.

Excellent example!
White is the absolute best color to learn on and see what a clay bar can do. If you don't own a white car just see if you can find a white car to clay a one foot square of.
With white you can see the little particles that won't come off with a wash or even with cleaner wax. When you clay a white vehicle like this you'll quickly learn what it feels like when you are removing embedded debris.
Then when you know what it feels like you'll know better when it's working and when you are done with a section when you are doing a darker car. Because on the darker cars it is harder to actually see the embedded debris that a clay bar can remove.

· Registered
11,491 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (Brass Balls)

Like BB said above .. feeling is the way to tell .. you can actually feel stuff you will never see.. even after you have done a lot of waxing you get to the point where you feel the cloth drag on wax you missed but you can't see it. especilly on light colored cars

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (Jesstzn)

There's been a few posts about the length of time it takes to claybar. It doesn't seem to take that long to me. I use the Mother's Claybar System (love the smell of that Quick Detailer - cinnamon!) along with Einszett Polish and Einszett Wax. From filing up the first bucket of water to putting everything away, I'd say it takes a little less than 4 hours. I'd guess it's probably a little over 1 hour for each step.
There's a definite improvement in the smoothness of the paint surface and the proof is in the claybar...you won't believe how much junk gets caught in it.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (soccergk)

Although the stuff ain't exactly cheap
, I love claybar!
Saved my a$$ when I got waterspots after using the Mr. Clean Autodry
And gets out all the contaminants that a simple wash can't get out. End result is a silky smooth exterior http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I even use the stuff on my windows and headlights.

· Registered
26,305 Posts
Re: whos done clay bar on their car? (secretaznman)

Ready for this.
Found some dumbazz selling clay bars (Gliptone) - brand new, but a few years old (I guess?) - sealed in the jar... for 1$ each at a flea market.
You betcha I got them all.

I don't know if its the age or brand, but they work "ok", however the Mothers clay setup is the best I have used of the two.
Clay works great!!!!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.