VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whos

SUPER TERRIFIC HAPPY HOUR BONUS!!!!
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE GOING TO DO THIS REPAIR....THE ORIGINAL (AND REPLACEMENT) FOAM HAS A VERY SMALL PIECE OF RUBBER/PLASTIC MOLDED INTO THE TOP OF THE BOLSTER WHERE IT COMES INTO CONTACT W/ THE SEAT FRAME, (YOU'LL SEE EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE IT APART) THIS IS WHY THE CUSHION FAILS - AFTER YEARS OF GETTING IN/OUT OF THE CAR, THAT PLASTIC PIECE WORKS ITSELF OUT OF ALIGNMENT W/ THE SEAT FRAME, AND SOON THE FOAM IS WEARING ON THE FRAME ITSELF. TO PREVENT HAVING TO DO THIS AGAIN IN A FEW YEARS, TAKE A COOLANT BOTTLE AND CUT OUT A PIECE OF PLASTIC ABOUT THE SIZE OF A MOUSE PAD. SPRAY SOME ADHESIVE GLUE ON IT AND JAM IN UP IN THE BOLSTER IN A U SHAPE. IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE FIT OR FEEL OF THE CUSHION. IT JUST PREVENTS THAT LITTLE PLASTIC PIECE FROM COMING OFF THE FRAME.

sorry for the caps, i just want to make sure you guys see that.
omfg this was sooo easy. it took me about an hour working kinda slowly, and cleaning the seat of all the dust/grime over the last 4+ years..
some of the pics are ishty but you should get the general idea.
step 1 - remove seat - duh. the seat comes out in 3 easy steps.

tilt the seat forward to access the rear cover panels. there are screw covers on both sides. using a small pic pry them up. remove the screws and trim plates.
2. slide the seat all the way back. at this point also remove the headrest to make it easier to get the seat out of the car, and tilt the seat as far forward as possible for the same reason.

remove the 2 13 mm nuts in the center of the seat frame. pull the seat release lever up and push the seat out of the tracks. if orgot to take a picture of this, but there are 2 airbag connectors to remove. once you see them you will figure out how to do it. they are easy.

3. get the seat on a suitable work station. clean too. remove the lower seat trim. there are 2 pieces and 4 fasteners. VW in their infinite wisdome used 2 phillips head and 2 6 point screws..
. you may wanna take off the height adjuster to make it easier to gain access.
i also forgot to take a pic of the next step, but it is also self explanatory. starting at the rear of the seat cushion (either side - doesnt matter) carefully begin pulling out the cloth from the seat frame. the cloth is attatched to a piece of plastic that goes around the base of the seat. it is wedged into a channel, and you may need to compress the seat to get started.

at this point you're free and can begin to work the foam out. there are 4 channels where the cloth is attatched to the foam. the channels have metal rods in them. pull them out carefully. just rip them out of the foam. be sure to have a firm grip so you dont tear the cloth.

in this picture you can see the how the cloth is attatched to the foam. those plastic clips on the right side of the picture...
place the new foam in the seat, and start working on getting those clips on the new rods.

you can see the channels where the rods are. start on the sides get the first 2 on each side done, then do the entire bottom row. back to the sides to do a few more until you can get close to the top row. fold the front of the seat material back over the foam. smooth it out and make sure it fits nice nice. take the

reinstall your trim pieces. there is a guide that is going to tuck into the same channel that the plastic retainer on the cloth goes into. you can see my grubby finger pointing to it..

here is anther bad picture. this is sort of showing you where the guides tuck into on the trim and seat material.
put the seat back in the ca. lean it towards the back and reconnect the 2 airbag plugs. carefully slide the seat back and guide the rear into the adjustment slides. move the seat forward to get the front lined back up.
ok....thats a lot of typing. if anybody has any questions post up. this was super freakin easy.

dispose of the broken foam.

here is a pic of the broken foam.

Modified by redsoxreturns at 7:35 PM 3-31-2007

Modified by redsoxreturns at 12:02 AM 4-1-2007

Modified by redsoxreturns at 1:24 PM 4-4-2007

Modified by redsoxreturns at 5:38 PM 12-11-2007

Since the format change and loss of photos, I've had like 9 jillion people message me about the pics - here they are. Feel free to PM me w/ questions.

Part number.

up close of the 2 13MM nuts in front of the seat.

cover off, and cushion out. Note that it's not necessary to remove the cover completely. Also in this picture, you can see the ultimate culprit. Not really a great design for a bolster frame. A solid piece of steel formed to make the bolster would have added a few lbs. but big deal.

up close of the fastening mechanism in the cushion

kinda up close of the locking tabs that hold the cover to the cushion - they're the black tabs on the left and right of the underside of the cushion. MOST other manufacturers use a "hog ring" - a piece of metal like a nail bent in to a ring - to attach the cover and cushion, but VW's method seems to work well.

:)

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (KC Jazz)

Quote, originally posted by KC Jazz »
Mother ****er.

This happened to me tonight.

now you know how to fix it

and to give you guys an idea of how much of a super genius i am -
there is a piece of molded rubber in the top part of the bolsters. its there to try and prevent what happens to the foam from happening. obviously it doesnt. so what i did was take a coolant bottle (thin, pliable plastic) and cut out a larger insert. i shaped it to fit and glued it in the bolster.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (redsoxreturns)

I'm gonna have to do this on the passenger side. It's hard for my girlfriend, now 8 months pregnant, to avoid resting on the bolster getting in and out of the car. I just have one question...Once you reinstall the seat, does the airbag light come/stay on?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (Justinburg)

Quote, originally posted by Justinburg »
I'm gonna have to do this on the passenger side. It's hard for my girlfriend, now 8 months pregnant, to avoid resting on the bolster getting in and out of the car. I just have one question...Once you reinstall the seat, does the airbag light come/stay on?

as long as you disconnect the battery before you start and don't reconnect it until the seat is plugged back in then you shouldn't have an air bag light.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (vdubMT)

Quote, originally posted by vdubMT »

as long as you disconnect the battery before you start and don't reconnect it until the seat is plugged back in then you shouldn't have an air bag light.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif thanks

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i didnt have a light on and i didnt disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (redsoxreturns)

Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns »

i didnt have a light on and i didnt disconnect the battery.

Yea, but you probably also didn't put the key in the ignition and turn it on or to the accessories position. As long as you don't do that then your fine. I just said to disconnect the battery because it is the safest route. Nice DIY also. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yea, but you probably also didn't put the key in the ignition and turn it on or to the accessories position. As long as you don't do that then your fine. I just said to disconnect the battery because it is the safest route. Nice DIY also. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

right you are ken!
thanks

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (Chico)

Quote, originally posted by Chico »
Thanks for posting this. Very helpful. Do you have any pics of the washer fluid bottle and how you installed it?

youre welcome, and that wasnt me

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: whos "fixed" thier recaro? part 2 w/ DIY (vdubz2004)

Quote, originally posted by vdubz2004 »
what is the part number to get the seat foam?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.