VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Re: Who's gone longest...... (rocket vr6)

Well, I had 153K on the car. Just got the chains done, car is soo smooth now. Gotta say, get it done as soon as you got the loot.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: Who's gone longest...... (stealthmk1)

quote:[HR][/HR]The thing with stuuf like this is if you wait till you need it then your'e screwed, so I would do it soon.[HR][/HR]​
Agreed. I am doing it...have been since June!
I want my car back yesterday...

·
Registered
642 Posts

Maybe I can claim to have gone the shortest, check the link in my signature. Broken lower timing chain two weeks ago, motor has about 80k miles. It sounds like from looking at the previously posted numbers and talking to a few of these guys that my situation is the exception. After reading posts like this where people say they are going 175k on the original chains I was not too worried about the noise I was hearing. I planed on replacing the chains in the spring, now I am doing it a little earlier! I am really starting to wonder how the original owner of this motor cared for it!

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Who's gone longest...... (SLC4EVER)

For people that have had a shop do it(not dealership). How long did it take and what was cost of parts and labor? My friend that works at the dealership said he did his in 10 hours, spread over a few days so he wasn't sure. I'm really worried about the $$$ though, I can be without my car for a day or two.

·
Registered
531 Posts

I wouldnt recommend the dealer to do it. A lot of dealers havent actually done the job at all, if so that often. Try a VR6 tuner, who has built a lot of VR6's. I had Eastside Motorsport do mine, he had a much more competitive price and had it done in 2 days and did the headgasket and lifters.
Companies that have spent a lot of time tearing down VR6s will normally cut down the labor cost a bit since they can pull it apart more quickly from experience, not charge you based on how long a mechanic who has never done it, or maybe once or twice.

BTW, the most common quote for JUST THE CHAINS in my area was approx $900. I would recommend having some other preventative maintenance done while your in there. Clutch, headgasket, rear main seal, thermo housing, etc.
[Modified by SLC_Demon, 10:25 AM 1-27-2003]

[Modified by SLC_Demon, 10:25 AM 1-27-2003]

[Modified by SLC_Demon, 10:27 AM 1-27-2003]

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Who's gone longest...... (SLC_Demon)

My good friend works at the dealer, and said he could do it over a few days after work. Otherwise maybe I'll take your advice and see if Adrenilin in Worchester, MA can do it(I think the closest tuner). I'm just going to check around and see if I can get a good deal.
Pretty sure I'll need the clutch and headgasket too. This definately ain't going to be cheap. Maybe I'll get bored to 2.9 and cams too.

[Modified by rocket vr6, 4:31 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: Who's gone longest...... (vdubnut_mike)

quote:[HR][/HR]196212 miles... motor/tranny is being swapped out in a week. Motor is still strong, just cutting milage in half with swap, and trans is GONE...[HR][/HR]​
Got me beat ... I'm at 191k miles. Like yours, still strong, no leaks, no smoke, no bad sounds. Will do chain/tensioners at clutch time ... probably sometime after 200k miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts