VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups.

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN 
#1 ·
I've seen setups, heard somethings but i need details. I know that there is some disagreement about running them, but i really want to hear from those how have/are running them. power, tips, tricks. investment etc... i saw some pics on here before and i kinda regret a opportunity i had to pic up some webers....so guide me guys and gals.

i live in an area that i think could make them fun, and a learning experience http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups. (Wizzelt)

Im running carbs on my 16v, and I am in Mississauga too.
Everyone makes a big deal about having to tune/jet them, its very easy to do and doesnt need to be done often. The setup is hard on gas though, dont expect anything over 15-20mpg.
And you have get either a polo distributor or a saab 900 distributor, both use centrifugal and vacuum advance. Without one of these distributors you will get no advance curve, meaning your timing at idle is the same as your timing at 6000rpms http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Jets get pricey quick, and so do the other little things, like fuel pump, FPR, fuel lines, etc.
Any other questions, just ask me.

#3 ·
Re: who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups. (SeVoN)

thanks for replying dood, what carbs are you running, and where can i get them
, the fuel lines and poop i can get for free (apprenticship) so all i need is a source for decent 40-60 mm carbs and jets. i IMed you so hit me back, thanks again.

#4 ·

What type of intake manifold are you using. I have dual weber 45's on my 8v right now, and I agree, they are not as hard to tune as people say. I need more power though, and I have a 2L 16V ready to go, just starting to research parts
Tks
Steve

#5 ·

I am using the weber/cannon manifold, the one that comes with the weber redline 16v kit. I bought the setup used off a local guy, that saved alot of $$$.
If you want to do a carb setup, look for a complete used setup, or buy the manifold and linkage from TWM induction and pick up some used carbs. If you want to go all new, it will run you over $1000 american for carbs, manifold and linkage

I run DCOE45's with 36mm venturies (34's work great in a 16v too). Go any bigger then this and you will have no low end at all. I get my jets from a place in BC called Overseas Auto, best prices and stock I have found.
As for jets, I am currently running 140 mains with 210 air correctors, and 45f9 idles. Its running quite well, a bit rich still, but a little rich is always better then lean. I am going to get a set of 135 mains and try those out aswell. I have richer jets aswell for when I do cams in the future

#6 ·

I know, I checked TWM's site, they want like $500 for the mani and linkage

I'm going to rebuild my 45's and use them. I also have 36mm chokes, and I'm running 145-190 at the moment. Its a bit rich but seeing as how this is my 1st time using carbs i don't feel like meltiing anything. My idle jets are 50's I think, I have no spares so I just left in what was there when I got them. What type of ign advance are you running? I am also cluless to this. At present I am running VERY reserved, approx 26-27 degrees at 3000RPM, I'm going to bump it to 30-31 but I hear you can run crazy advance with the carbs. There isn't a nother person around running carbs on a dub that I've run into so I'm pretty much tuning by trial and error. Its been good so far, the only real problem I've been having is keaping my idle from floating up at stop lights. I think it comes back to my synching and I might have the idle jets a little opened up. Gonna have to adjust that a bit. AND I just picked up an egt gauge to see if I can't get these thing set up a little better. But for the most part all the worries I had about tuning and poop are false. They aren;'t that bad. I haven't changed jets in a few weeks now, and I only really notice it on really muggy humid days. On a nice cool morning(15-20C) the drive to work is a blast!

#7 ·
Re: who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups. (Scirocco#28)

do either of you guys have carbs i can buy from ya, rebuilt or new, anything to get me started? I get paid monday so the cash is gonna go towards this process, i wanna get going on it. Your input is solid so far. I wanna get everything together before i change to carbs so its just gonna take time i guess.
BTW, i go to Dalhousie University and Halifax

oh! and i found a guy selling good condition Deltorro Sidedrafts...$300 Canadian, what do you guys think? i don't know whats included yet, but it sounds like a good deal.

[Modified by Wizzelt, 3:55 PM 7-21-2002]

#8 ·

I am running a european polo distributor, uses vacuum and centrifugal advance and points

Its really really simple which is what I was going for with the entire setup.
With the carbs you can get away with the timing being very advanced, like I run about 10-12 degrees at idle, with no detonation anywhere, on 92 or 94 octane. I noticed if I ran less advance, I got some odd noises in the midrange at WOT as well as the odd misfire in the lower end.
I am taking it to the dyno next weekend, really looking forward to that. I will play around with timing and jetting on there and see what works the best.
Wizzelt: I dont have any spare carbs sorry, but those Dellorto's sound like a pretty good price. To give you an idea of how much the setup costs, here's a rundown of all the parts required:
Carb manifold
2 sidedraft carbs
Carb softmount kit (plates/gaskets for mounting carbs to manifold)
Air filters or air horns with sock style filters
Modified upper coolant pipe (on front of head)
Low profile rad fan (My setup is in an mk1, so I had clearance problems)
Syncrometer
Jets (probably $150-$300 worth)
FPR (I run a Mallory 4 port one, running individual lines to each carb)
Low pressure fuel pump (I use a Holley Red, highly recomend it)
Non AC alternator bracket (I made my own using an 8v bracket and some custom bushings and hardware)
Filter for crankcase breather (I have a K&N baby filter)
There are probably some things I forgot, but thats everything I can think of right now, not cheap

#9 ·

right on thanks for the list. I think i will probably pick up those carbs, and collect the other stuff as the summer progresses. Gonna have to sell alot of stuff off of the parts car, and some 8v wiring harnesses i have, my back seats, etc....hopefully make enough money to do the setup. i drive a mk2 so i don't think i will have an fan clearance probs but we'll have to see
. if your interested, when i have all the pieces, i would pay you for your technical assisstance. I am pretty sure i can do it myself, but their might be snags along the way, so maybe a case of beer could buy some of your time and/or advice.
anyways, if you can think of anything else i would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks again, you have been most helpful. peace

#10 ·

i also plan to get carbs but i too have no idea about them. I have a 92 16v 2.0...so would anyone tell me what's the hp gain with them. I already have cams, chip, exhaust, ported head, etc...
also where can I get the whole set (NEW or Used) and how difficult is the instalation?
thank you!!!

#12 ·
Re: who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups. (art.clemens)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just scored a Weber 45mm setup. I am gonna put this on the following:
2117 cc (84mmx95.5mm) 11:1 tallblock
ported head
Schrick 276 cams
any jetting suggestions?
[HR][/HR]​
Mmmmmm very nice way to do it. I am not as lucky, my 16v is internally stock, well for now atleast

As far as the jetting is concerned, I'd run 36 mm venturies, and 150 or 155 main jets with 170 or 190 air correctors, 40 or 45 accelerator pump jets and 45f9 or 50f9 idles. This should be a half decent starting point.
But you really should buy main jets: 145, 150, 155, 160, and air correctors: 150, 170, 190, 210, accelerator pump jets: 40, 45, 50 and idle jets: 45f9, 50f9
This is the best way to go about it because you can see what works best for your specific setup, there is no way to know for sure what jetting is best without trying it out.

#14 ·
Re: who's running Carbs, tell me about your setups. (MUNICH_VR6)

Do you that already run carbs have a place to tap for vacuum for your brake booster?
And did you notice a huge hp gain when you switched to carbs?
Around $900 is what I'm looking at for a complete seup, so I'm trying to research as much as I can.
Also, why can't you leave the stock computer and distributor? Wouldn't that give the proper advance curve?
Thanks a lot
Michael

#17 ·
New update:

Engine 1.8 8V, CBR 900RR carbs, stock ignition, centrifugal dizzy with vacuum advance unpluged, mechanical fuel pump with fuel restrictor to carbs.
Thanks but this is the 16V engine forum.

It would be helpful in the correct engine forum.

The first 8V engines had intake and exhaust on the back (or right side if in an Audi). Later versions had crossflow heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.