VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip?

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  GranTouring InjectedVR6 
#1 ·
very worried about this one , just recently i removed my autotech chip in favor of the stock one for the time being, and after installing the stock chip i tuirned the car on , let it idle for 2 minutes and then shut it off. then started the car the next morning and it hesitated and wouldn't crank on the first try , but it cranked on the second try , and has been fine ever since. last night though , on my way back from work, i noticed that couldn't tell a virtual difference between the qchip and stock, except for the throttle response and idles a bit lower now....
I decided to take her 6500 in second to see if i would hit the limiter , but it went passed 6500 !...i stopped at about 6900-7000 , but i was scared something might blow up
, nothing sounded out of the ordinary, except i know this isnt supposed to happen , any suggestions from the experts?
Gabriel

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (N.E.R.D.)

My car won't stop at redline either and the chip hasn't been ever touched. I also have two friends that have 92 SLCs that do the same thing. In fact one of them has taken the car to over 140 w/ the car bone stock so I guess there's no top speed limiter either.

#7 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (VWpowa)

Me too! B4 my car was touched it hit rev limiter a 6500. I did AMS then GIAC and went back to stock (to test something out) and even after resetting the ECU I still had a 7200 RPM limiter on the stock chip
Beats the hell out of me

#10 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (GranTouring InjectedVR6)

hey check this I hear that a gaic chip takes 2 days to learn the car so maybe the stock has to do the same.
(not talking any fuzzie logic crap either)

#11 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (blue98jettavr6)

when i had my stock chip and my car was bone stock it would do the same thing gaabe dont worry about it. Just get a garret and be happy...Rev to 7300 rpm then....and have more power to boot...and better throttle response....

#13 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (kevinvr6)

this might have nothing to do with it, but if you are putting your stock chip back in, I do know that at abotu 5600 rpm's your power is choked by the ecu, so if that is still happening, (i.e. you are not pulling as hard all the way to the redline) it should be ok.
sounds weird though.

#14 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (Justin Osman)

quote:[HR][/HR]this might have nothing to do with it, but if you are putting your stock chip back in, I do know that at abotu 5600 rpm's your power is choked by the ecu, so if that is still happening, (i.e. you are not pulling as hard all the way to the redline) it should be ok.
sounds weird though.[HR][/HR]​
yeah, and that also sends a cel too cuz you're hitting the rev limiter. also happens when you hit the speed limiter, had my dealership yell at me once for this saying that if they see it again they'll tell my warranty company and then my warranty will be void...oh well, I'll just take it to another dealer next time

#15 ·

I don't know about your car, but you should not think the instrument panel is exact on newer cars. For example, speed reads 70 mph, but actual speed is 66 mph. Temp gauge reads 190, actual temp is 200.
One way to tell for sure is with a VAG-COM and read what is being reported to the ecu. There is even a reading that shows actual rpms and reported rpms.
As far as a stumbling cold start, anytime you remove the ecu or disconnect the battery, you should turn the engine to "on" without starting it for 30 seconds to allow the throttle to adapt.

#18 ·

The dealer or a VAG-COM will reset any DTCs. When clearing DTCs, you also clear readiness codes, which should be regenerated, but will regenerate themselves after you drive for a while. You need a VAG tool to read readiness codes.

#19 ·
Re: why am i reving past 7000 , w/ a stock chip? (JettaRed)

quote:[HR][/HR]The dealer or a VAG-COM will reset any DTCs. When clearing DTCs, you also clear readiness codes, which should be regenerated, but will regenerate themselves after you drive for a while. You need a VAG tool to read readiness codes.[HR][/HR]​
jettared- would you suggest I do this? Is this something that , in my case , would benefit my car? also , what are readiness codes? thanks for the help'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.