·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MSRP for the car I ordered in $CDN (as per audicanada.ca): $41,000
MSRP for the same car in USD (as per audiusa.com) : $30,990
exchange rate (today) is 1.219
30,990 * 1.219 = 37,776.81
This is indeed before any taxes, so you can't blame it on differces in taxation....
Does anybody here have a clue?
Why am I giving my Canadian dealer $3224 more for the same car???

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Re: Why are Canadians paying more? (Matchek)

I wouldnt complain much, its still probably cheaper than Europe and the rest of the world is paying. The A3 has been greatly discounted to succeed in the US market, as hatchbacks or smallwagons (what ever you want to classify the A3 as) have a poor history in the US. While in Canada you have more of a european taste in cars, hence no need to give you the added incentive to buy.

·
Registered
300 Posts

One other thing you have to remember is that in Canada we have a much smaller market. I mean they probibly sell as many Audi's in California as we sell for all of Canada. In addition interest rates are much higher on the cars too. I guess it is a small price to live in such a beautiful country.

Modified by aLLsTaRDUB at 3:01 AM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Re: Why are Canadians paying more? (aLLsTaRDUB)

Quote, originally posted by aLLsTaRDUB »
One other thing you have to remember is that in Canada we have a much smaller market. I mean they probibly sell as many Audi's in California as we sell for all of Canada. In addition interest rates are much higher on the cars too. I guess it is a small price to live in such a beautiful country.

Modified by aLLsTaRDUB at 3:01 AM 7-25-2005

Actually, maybe Rhode Island, California will sell probably 5x the amt. as Canada. It is a great country though, and the best strip clubs in NA, all nude $10 CAD lap dances are a beautiful thing

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (xorbe)

wow - just because our market is smaller eh?

Why don't they just have one company for NA or something? I'm not an accountant... but are there laws that don't allow that? Add the States and Canadian volumes together and everyone gets a better price, no??

The rich get richer and the poor poorer - that svcks...

Oh well -
I'm off to the bar... I mean the "ballet"....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Re: (xorbe)

Quote, originally posted by xorbe »
My places-to-go list just grew by one.

Montreal, as far as partying and strip clubs go, Is the greatest town in NA, beats Las Vegas and New Orleans hands down. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Canada has different requirements for bumper strength and size. I believe this is one of the reasons why the R32 could not be sold in Canada, simply because the added cost required for separate bumpers would have put the Golf way out of its already high price peak. High prices for an Audi work much better than a high-priced, out-going Volkswagen Golf. Audi of America probably felt it was worth it to bring the A3 into the Canadian market, even at an extra cost - probably due to its unique position in the premium segment.
I bet this is one of the reasons why there is a cost difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Could have more to do with the fees the government charges to import cars. Have you compared the prices on other brands to see how they match up. I would assume BMW, MB, and other euro brands would have similar differences with out the whole NAFTA type deals the US brands probably get.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Why are Canadians paying more? (snaprhead7)

Quote, originally posted by snaprhead7 »
Pay the xtra $$$...With all the money you save on health insurance compared to the states..live a little and stop complaining.

Oops - didn't mean to sound like I was complaining... I did buy it so yes, I'm paying the xtra $$$. I was just curious to know if anyone knew why.
For the record - I live in the area that must have the highest income taxes in NA - so I think I'm paying plenty for my health insurance! (now I'm ranting - a bit...)

As for living a little: You can count on that!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Because car makers don't change the prices of their cars based on relatively short-term fluctuations in the exchange rate with the US dollar. Three years ago when the Canadian dollar was low, cars were thousands of dollars cheaper in USD up here vs in the US, and it was the Americans coming to Canada to buy and save big money. Now the US dollar is low and the situation is reversed. US$31,000 would have been over CDN$49,000 back in the fall of 2002.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Why are Canadians paying more? (bmorton)

Quote, originally posted by bmorton »
Because car makers don't change the prices of their cars based on relatively short-term fluctuations in the exchange rate with the US dollar. Three years ago when the Canadian dollar was low, cars were thousands of dollars cheaper in USD up here vs in the US, and it was the Americans coming to Canada to buy and save big money. Now the US dollar is low and the situation is reversed. US$31,000 would have been over CDN$49,000 back in the fall of 2002.

What kind of fees do you have to pay when you buy a car in another country? Let's say I had bought my car in Vermont. Any fees at the border? I imagine they charge you the GST at the border maybe? But can you get a US tax refund?

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: (judgegavel)

Quote, originally posted by judgegavel »

Montreal, as far as partying and strip clubs go, Is the greatest town in NA, beats Las Vegas and New Orleans hands down. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Without a doubt the most truthful statement I have read on any forum..

admission is cheaper, drinks are cheaper, lap dances are cheaper and NO TIPPING!!!!! what one person could spend here pays for a group of 10 people there.. and the dancers.. pick the one hottest girl at a club here and thats every girl working there.
Bar scene rivals what we have in places here but I would say the langauge differences makes it seem like you are some place much more exotic..
But thats probably why you pay more.. its a give and take.. cheaper strip clubs more expensive cars..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Matchek »

What kind of fees do you have to pay when you buy a car in another country? Let's say I had bought my car in Vermont. Any fees at the border? I imagine they charge you the GST at the border maybe? But can you get a US tax refund?

There are fees (see http://www.riv.ca for details on the process) and I believe you can get US tax back--but not certain. I've come across posts on other sites from people who have done this recently and saved money even after the fees and taxes were applied.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Re: (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »

But thats probably why you pay more.. its a give and take.. cheaper strip clubs more expensive cars..

Their has to be about a million strip joints in montreal...thats what everybody remembers about mtl...
Last night was crazy...it was the gay pride "fest"...colorfull is not the word...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »

admission is cheaper, drinks are cheaper, lap dances are cheaper and NO TIPPING!!!!!

Huh? Don't know where you went but... tipping is usually expected!
Get any funny looks?

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: (Matchek)

Quote, originally posted by Matchek »

Huh? Don't know where you went but... tipping is usually expected!
Get any funny looks?

Well we were joking the whole way up how do you tip without paper singles.. when we got there someone asked and they said dont' have to tip.. we were there for about 3 hours didn't see a single other person tip..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.