VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why did VW not paint the lowers on the GLI?

1K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  scotty_passat 
#1 ·
This seems like a step backwards. All of its siblings get it. This is very disappointing.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Because black lower trim is supposedly sportier.

Also, black lower trim is supposed to visually lower the car and reduce the visual mass from the side view. However, I like it better with body-color rockers.

#5 ·
Re: (acpjxm)

Quote, originally posted by acpjxm »

Also, black lower trim is supposed to visually lower the car and reduce the visual mass from the side view. However, I like it better with body-color rockers.

I *thought* I'd read that somewhere, but I wasn't sure.

#6 ·
Re: (FUZE)

Quote, originally posted by FUZE »
Actually it is tradition for the GLI to have black lower trim. As for why the MKIV didn't have it, go figure...

2002.5-2004 GLIs did, but then they were just standard-trim Jettas with sport seats and different wheels.
The 2004.5+ GLI was a parts bin raid... there's really no real rhyme or reason to what they did in terms of previous GLIs.

#9 ·
Re: (Diesel GLI)

Quote, originally posted by Diesel GLI »
i like it... much easier to keep it nicer looking longer... painted rockers get far too many stone chips and such... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

That's another plus.
I always did like the black lowers on my MkIV, but it bugged me that they didn't go all the way around, ie. black sideskirts.

#10 ·
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

The 2004.5+ GLI was a parts bin raid... there's really no real rhyme or reason to what they did in terms of previous GLIs.

the GLI 1.8T has parts unique to the GLI, they may be simmilar to the 20th but are not the same

#13 ·
Re: Why did VW not paint the lowers on the GLI? (jedexec)

Quote, originally posted by jedexec »
This seems like a step backwards. All of its siblings get it. This is very disappointing.

Just like the B5 Passats

Either they want to give business to the paint shops or have people by black cars.

#21 ·

Quote, originally posted by jedexec »

If you have the GLI already, I will trade you (Platinum Gray) parts.

#22 ·

It's a German conspiracy plot to make my life hell.....they involved some con shop in S. Daytona to make it all hell for me to get mine done.....but once done---it's pure heaven!

#24 ·
Re: Why did VW not paint the lowers on the GLI? (GaBoYnFla)

I don't buy the idea that the black trim makes it look cheap. I actually think painting them makes it look cheap (like the Chevy Cobalt, Kia Amanti, Hyundai Elantra, and a ton of other cheap cars). I loved the black lowers on my B5 and I love them on the GLI as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.