VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this topic was discussed before, or if this is an appropriate topic.
But I was just curious why people in this forum have chosen GLI over GTI since they are about the same price range.

Well to begin with, I chose GLI for space issues, looks, and the wheels on autobahn trim.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I looked at both. Having HID's (and I would have swapped tails for Euro Golf R LED's as well) would have been nice. Leather I was meh on so it didn't matter.

I also liked the overall look of the GLI more, the wheels I LOVE compared to those revolver things. I also was driving a hatchback currently that had at least double the capacity for cargo that the 4 door GTI had. In order for that hatch to be useful I would have had to put the seats down.

The GLI had more cargo room in the trunk readily available, a MUCH larger backseat and similar performance.

I still don't regret my decision and am glad I have more a niche car. GTI's are everywhere.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I chose it because it is a nice looking car and I see GTI's all over the place around me. Wanted something a little different and the size is really nice as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:thumbup: agreed, and not really a hatchback kinda guy. There are so many GTI's on the road, each one faster than the next so I didnt want to have to compete with those lol. Plus even tho stock the GTI's might be quicker than the GLI, I can at least feel some comfort in knowing that my car is more rare, and looks better ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
coming from a sedan, i was already used to four doors, although i never, ever use the rear doors for anything other than hauling parts occasionally...and the fact that everyone in south florida drives a GTI!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I chose the GLI over the GTI for a few reasons.

1) Price. I was able to find a base GLI easier than a base GTI.
2) Wheels. I do not like the stock 18s that come on the GTI.
3) Cargo room. The GLI has a larger covered trunk area.
4) Rarity. I have the only GLI in town that I have seen. GTIs are abundant.

On the flip side, I would have preferred to have a car that was entirely built in Germany (GTI) versus Mexico (GLI).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I thought it was a way more grown up car. I liked the wheels better. Way more room. Nicer interior in some aspects. Better radio. CHEAPER

·
Registered
34 Posts
I chose the GLI over the GTI for a few reasons.

1) Price. I was able to find a base GLI easier than a base GTI.
2) Wheels. I do not like the stock 18s that come on the GTI.
3) Cargo room. The GLI has a larger covered trunk area.
4) Rarity. I have the only GLI in town that I have seen. GTIs are abundant.

On the flip side, I would have preferred to have a car that was entirely built in Germany (GTI) versus Mexico (GLI).
I have to agree with #3 and flip side for myself.

Didn't really look gor the GTI because we wanted a trunk. Was hesitant to buy a hatchback. Conversely, it was driving the Golf (zipcar) that convinced me to get the GLI ...

·
Registered
572 Posts
No competition for me. I've never liked Golf-style hatchbacks -- I think they seem a bit juvenile, especially the two door ones. If I'm going to have anything with two doors, it better have two seats to match, otherwise it's just being silly.

Nothing like a good sports sedan... it's either that or a proper sports car like an Elise or a Miata :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with the GLI based on size. I am 6'5" and the GLI just had a cabin that felt less confined than the GTI. Plus I could get the loaded AB model for quite a bit less than a loaded GTI. But in the end the GLI just felt more like a grown up car for me. Something I can keep well into my thirties and enjoy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I went with the GLI based on size. I am 6'5" and the GLI just had a cabin that felt less confined than the GTI. Plus I could get the loaded AB model for quite a bit less than a loaded GTI. But in the end the GLI just felt more like a grown up car for me. Something I can keep well into my thirties and enjoy.
Agree with this 100%. I'm 6'7 need that room. :laugh: :beer:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I struggled with this same question. The dealer actually let me take a GTI home for the night, before I picked the GLI. I had a blast in it, and believe it was a tad more fun to drive. BUT, no matter how great it is, and it's a blast, it just semi-says boyracer. That coupled with the fact that GLIs are more rare. Plus, I knew we'd have kids down the road, and the space will be better. I couldn't be happier. It looks good cruisin and looks good parked at the golf course. If over age 24, buy the GLI. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off, I think the GTI is a great car. I was very tempted to get the GTI especially considering I had to wait over six months to replace my 03 Maxima with a new car. I seriously considered getting the GTI. However, I travel for business and am a golfer as well. With the GLI, I knew I could have my golf bag, push cart and luggage in the trunk at the same time. With the GTI, that wasn't possible without having something in clear view of thieves.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've actually warmed up to the GTI quite a bit since owning the GLI. I didn't even consider it. But the reason I went with a GLI in the first place is having a roomier, more practical car than my then-current Mustang. Also I really liked the styling of the GLI. Since owning it, I've really loved the exclusivity of the car. I've literally seen just one MKVI GLI on the road since getting it in January. I see a ton of cars per day on my bus ride up the NJ Turnpike into the city too.

That said, the GTI's have since really grown on me. I would probably give it some consideration if I were doing it all over again, but I'd like to think it would still come down to the GLI.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wife made the decision for me, LOL. I really wanted a GTI, but since we already have a Golf, we really needed the extra room. I personally think the GLI is easier to drive and is not as harsh. If I were younger I bet I would be driving a GTI. But I have no regrets and I really am pleased with the GLI.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
simple. rarity. how many mk6 GLI's over mk6 GTI's? i know the build qaulity in the GTI is better, but why blend in with the crowd when you can stand out right? my GLI was by far my best investment in years, love it :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts