VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I think the GLI has more of a grown up look compared to the GTI, or any hatchback for that matter. I was coming from an 08 Rabbit and looking to upgrade and get something a little more "mature". In my eyes anyway.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Didn't get the GLI, but I chose the Jetta over the Golf for three simple reasons.

1.) Jetta sedan was $4k cheaper than the 5-door Golf on the MSRP. OTD was closer to $6k less. With the TSI engines, the GLI is cheaper than the GTI.
2.) I insisted on the 2.0L. It's an A-to-B daily driver. You cannot kill it and I love that engine family. So sue me.
3.) See #1.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My reason is simple, hatchbacks aren't my thing. Just don't like them. Not saying the MK6 GTI is ugly, just not my thing. I've always been more of a sedan person.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was initially set on a GTI 4-door. Dealer and I couldn't come to terms on price so I walked. Never really looked at the Jetta, but about 2 months later the GLI came out and saw one at another dealer. Really liked the styling in the GLI trim. Even though trunk space wasn't a concern, I am glad I purchased the GLI because I have hauled TONS of stuff that would have been tough in the GTI with 4 passengers. Price was bonus too in that my dealer was able to work more with the GLI over the GTI. Happy camper am I.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mainly needed a trunk that can hold a set of goalie equipment and still seat 4/5 people comfortably.

HID's not a problem, already swapped them out. Also, I like the look better.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Please elaborate...?
I didn't post it, but I would argue:

--Dual-zone climate control is nicer.

--The GLI's dash *looks* a little more like a classic VW dash... specifically it looks like the MkIV and B5 era VW and Audi interiors.

--Though its all up to personal preference, many have stated that the GLI's Fender system is the superior of the two high-end stereos.

--
And that's about it. The GLI's dash may match the GTI, but its door panels and console are made out of something more harsh than my oldest TV's remote control. I'm REALLY hoping that something changes for '13 in the regard.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I didn't post it, but I would argue:

--Dual-zone climate control is nicer.

--The GLI's dash *looks* a little more like a classic VW dash... specifically it looks like the MkIV and B5 era VW and Audi interiors.

--Though its all up to personal preference, many have stated that the GLI's Fender system is the superior of the two high-end stereos.

--
And that's about it. The GLI's dash may match the GTI, but its door panels and console are made out of something more harsh than my oldest TV's remote control. I'm REALLY hoping that something changes for '13 in the regard.
The optional dual-zone climate control is nice, and I do prefer the design of the dash layout to the MKVI GTI. Here's to hoping the '13s have improved door cards :beer:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I choose the GLI over the GTI because my old lady doesn't like hatch backs. The second reason i did that was price!! Im fresh out of college and thats all i could afford.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Initially went to VW dealer to just 'test drive' a Manual TDI Passat and a Jetta as so few quality cars now a days can be had with a Manual transmission. Ended up seeing the GLI, which I didn't even know existed until I showed up at the dealer that afternoon, and really loved the look over the S, SE, SEL Jetta's and was comparable in size to the '07 TL I was trading in... Did not know at the time it would be better in the performance department than the TL while maintaining decent fuel economy... Looked at a GTI as well, but the GTI struck me as something immature in a way.

Dealer made an offer I could not refuse, $19,999 OTD @ .65% APR, I drove off with the Tornado Red GLI the same night, and considering I had no intention of buying a new car 2 weeks ago, it made that good of an impression. Just broke the 500 mile mark, and have 0 regrets.

Hoping the Headlights from the 2013 GLI's will work in the 2012, as the one thing that would push this car over the top for me would be the new Headlights in the '13's.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Initially went to VW dealer to just 'test drive' a Manual TDI Passat and a Jetta as so few quality cars now a days can be had with a Manual transmission. Ended up seeing the GLI, which I didn't even know existed until I showed up at the dealer that afternoon, and really loved the look over the S, SE, SEL Jetta's and was comparable in size to the '07 TL I was trading in... Did not know at the time it would be better in the performance department than the TL while maintaining decent fuel economy... Looked at a GTI as well, but the GTI struck me as something immature in a way.

Dealer made an offer I could not refuse, $19,999 OTD @ .65% APR, I drove off with the Tornado Red GLI the same night, and considering I had no intention of buying a new car 2 weeks ago, it made that good of an impression. Just broke the 500 mile mark, and have 0 regrets.

Hoping the Headlights from the 2013 GLI's will work in the 2012, as the one thing that would push this car over the top for me would be the new Headlights in the '13's.

That OTD price is very impressive! What dealership in the country gave you this deal? I hope you will share this info for the group!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Camelback VW - Phoenix, Arizona.
Was this recently?

It's interesting to hear this because Camelback Chevrolet refused to give us a good deal on a new Silverado and we bought one from Thorobred Chevy instead at the end of December 2011

·
Registered
682 Posts
I chose the GLI because I wanted a nice-looking european sedan with lots of trunk space. But the cost of insurance definitely played a factor too, as I would have paid roughly $50 or more with a GTI.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts