VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a 2000-2001 Audi S4.
What I'd like to know is how a $42,000 Luxury Car such as an Audi S4 depreciates from said value to a current used car value of $25,000 +/- in just under 3 years? It's not that I'm buying the car as an investment property, but the value is going to continue to plummet as several years pass.
BMWs seem to hold their value much better, and what makes them do so? I'd like to buy one, but an E46 model which I would prefer still lingers in the $28-32k range. Considering they were $35-37k new is not bad at all.
What's the secret? Is an Audi no longer a quality car?

· Registered
17,503 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (SuperchargedLSS)

Quote, originally posted by SuperchargedLSS »
They break often, are Expenisve to fix, and people know about it.

that sums it up nicely.
also, i think you could say the same about bmw and mercedes, but i don't think audi is as much the status symbol as the others are, which may keep their prices up a little.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (GruvenVR6)

Go look at a used 2000 - 2001 BMW 740i, which cost 55 - 65k new. One can be had for 36k in good shape. Look at a 2001 BMW 330Ci which were about 40 - 42k new. One can be had for 28k if you shop around, and decently loaded with options too.
Bottom line, BMWs depreciate like Audis do. Your comment of them holding value MUCH better is false.
Quote, originally posted by GruvenVR6 »
So I'm in the market for a 2000-2001 Audi S4.
What I'd like to know is how a $42,000 Luxury Car such as an Audi S4 depreciates from said value to a current used car value of $25,000 +/- in just under 3 years? It's not that I'm buying the car as an investment property, but the value is going to continue to plummet as several years pass.
BMWs seem to hold their value much better, and what makes them do so? I'd like to buy one, but an E46 model which I would prefer still lingers in the $28-32k range. Considering they were $35-37k new is not bad at all.

· Banned
5,110 Posts

YOU NEED MONEY to own one, that's what it is.. improving upon my 1st post.. you can't buy one if you just have enough money for your payments+insurance, unless it comes with a kickass warranty.. friends of mine, well off, have one and they're really not phased by the money end of the maintainence, but more bothered by not having the car once a month because something retarded went haywire...
basically, they're kind of like ferrari's... finnickey.... require constant attention when compared to most other cars, take Lexus or Infiniti for example... it's due in part to their complexity (all the options they have, combined with complicated drivetrains) but expensive just the same.
If you can add another $5500/yr onto your car budget for repairs/maintainence that the nagging S4 will need, (NOT exaggerating, ask people.. everyone i know who has one told me that) then i'd say it's the car for you.. because when it's working properly, it's a blast... but be prepared to sign your life away to your mechanic/the dealership

· Registered
7,842 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (zerind)

Quote, originally posted by zerind »
Bottom line, BMWs depreciate like Audis do. Your comment of them holding value MUCH better is false.

i also think that people ask alot more for cars like the bimmer or the benz, but by the time they sell, they've accepted hundreds if not thousands less, if they sell at all. the thing about audi, its a straight forward market, the cars aren't in abundance, and people are just trying to sell them without a lot of haggle. bottem line the market sets the market value on any car

· Banned
5,110 Posts

......It's not that I'm buying the car as an investment property, but the value is going to continue to plummet as several years pass......

The car will plane off though, look at the old URS4's/S6's from 92-95.5.. you can't touch a NICE example for less than $12k...

they bottom out eventually, then it's up to condition of the vehicle, documented maintainence, and mileage.
I don't see that bodystyle S4 being attainable for any less than $15k for at least another 5 years

· Registered
24,740 Posts

Quote »
Go look at a used 2000 - 2001 BMW 740i, which cost 55 - 65k new. One can be had for 36k in good shape.

I was going to say the same thing... my co-worker has a 2000 740i that aint worth much. Its been for sale for a while @ 28k... no bites.

· Registered
1,788 Posts

I see 2000 VWs Jetta/Gti/beetle around 5-10k in the trader all the time, allot of the times with rims.
And what surprises me is that I see E30 Bmws go for 2-6k... And even early 90s E36s go for 3-14k
BMW are worth allot!

Modified by Slow1.8 at 12:53 AM 1-11-2004

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (Brad Jar)

Comparing a 740iL to an S4 is apples to oranges. Comparing an S4 to an M3 is closer, and then it becomes evident that BMW's tend to hold value a lot better.
Comparing a 740iL to an A8 will demonstrate a similar gap in depreciation. Different classes of cars depreciate differently.

· Banned
3,104 Posts

I guess the main difference between an S4 and a BMW E46 is the purpose of the vehicle. The E46 could be a family car, women like them, it's a truly "unisex car" while the S4 is a sport sdn, driven mostly by middleaged men and to be honest with you i never seen one as a family car. My $0.02

· Registered
1,117 Posts

Quote, originally posted by AudiVwMeister »
i also think that people ask alot more for cars like the bimmer or the benz, but by the time they sell, they've accepted hundreds if not thousands less, if they sell at all

Quote, originally posted by SuperchargedLSS »
your prying the keys out of the BMW owner's hands

Hi, my name is Ben. I just did this! Got a 98 328 for $4,250 less than the original asking price and the seller backed out once but I reeled him back. He keeps talking about how great the car is.
Ben

· Banned
38,788 Posts

BMW/Audi/MB are expencive cars to begin with because there are a lot of expencive parts that can brake. People that buy them new, unless they love their cars so much, simply try to get rid of them as soon as their cars are either out of warranty or there is no more free mainaince.

· Registered
23,534 Posts

Depreciation is the result of a number of things.. quality, reliability, and demand..
Audis are not as popular and demand is low compared to Acuras and BMWs. You can only sell for as much as someone is willing to pay for..
The worst I've seen is an Audi A6 4.2 2000 with only 21K sold for $23k, ouch.. it's supposed to be a $45k car.. Yet a 5 Series with 70k mi goes for $28k

· Registered
23,534 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (steez)

Quote, originally posted by steez »

I was going to say the same thing... my co-worker has a 2000 740i that aint worth much. Its been for sale for a while @ 28k... no bites.

Hey Steez, its probably a NY car, a lot of car dealers refuse to buy NY cars, its a factor of depreciation too.. They say the car is probably beaten on or been keyed before or seen bumps and scrapes..
I've seen 740i go for $35k

· Registered
5,286 Posts
All German cars have terrible resale value. Their parts cost 3x as much as their Japanese counterparts and German engineering makes everything a pain in the ass to fix. Their reliablity isn't that great so their stuff breaks more often.
Look at a Honda. Idiots still pay $5000 for a damn 14 year old CRX.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Why do Audi's Depreciate so fast? (FourthGenHatch)

Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
All German cars have terrible resale value.

No. Not wrong, but mostly not right.
VW has one of the highest residuals, behind Honda and Toyota but still ahead of the other Japanese brands. Smaller BMW models, especially the 3-series, also hold their value well, as do the baby Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.