VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Santa Barbara but am a outside sales rep who spends a lot of time driving. Seems I am always seeing BMW test mules driving up and down the coast. In the past two days I have seen two flat black M3's and a X3 / X5 sedan hybrid type thing. I also constantly see a more finished models with a full array of gauges, cameras and sensors mounted on the dash and roof cruising around.
It is not just the freeway, but all around the hills near me. I thought maybe someone lived here, but no it is several different guys, and they will never look at me
Mini is no different, saw tons of riveted flat black minis running around about 6 months ago.
Is there a testing facility or something nearby that anyone knows about?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Re: why do I see so many BMW test mules in Santa Barbara? (UKGTI)

That area is a good market for bimmers but I cant think why they would test vehicles right there. They're practically asking for spy shots to be taken

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,838 Posts
Re: why do I see so many BMW test mules in Santa Barbara? (ironside_a)

I see them all the time around here because Ventura County is their main proving grounds for daily driving conditions. They are designed in Newbury Park at DesignworksUSA and there is a test facility at the port in Port Huneme. Last week I saw a Mini Cooper Clubman. I have also see before they were released...
X5
X3
M3
E90
E92
E92 Cabrio
5-Series
7-Series
New Mini
6-Series
Now that I think about it, pretty much every BMW model, haha
. The engineers usually get pissed when I whip out the cell phone cam and do some pretty aggressive driving to get away.

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
I'd imagine its because pretty much every cliamte and road situation can be simulated in CA.
Hot as hell? Death Valley (easiest place to spot test mules in the summer)
"Real" curvy roads witha wide variety of pavement conditions? Cayon running/pass roads
Snow? Sierras
Pretty much everything but bitter ass cold.
As for SB itself? terrain and 101 is a major way to get points north, esp as I'll bet the cars are delivered at LB

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,838 Posts
Re: (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

As for SB itself? terrain and 101 is a major way to get points north, esp as I'll bet the cars are delivered at LB

All BMW cars for the west coast come through Port Huneme. 8 miles from my house ATCF.
Go to this link...
http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/...Guest
Click on "Extreme Testing" all the way to the right, Click "Watch Video".
You'll get an inside view of the testing.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Re: why do I see so many BMW test mules in Santa Barbara? (ironside_a)

Yeah, I saw the X6 test mule on Chapala St. Wed. I've lived in SB that last 11 years and have seen every new/pre-productions model cruizing S.B. And Ventura. Some times alone, other times w/Multiple BMWs. Kinda Cool seeing them that often..

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Re: why do I see so many BMW test mules in Santa Barbara? (UKGTI)

Quote, originally posted by UKGTI »
I live in Santa Barbara but am a outside sales rep who spends a lot of time driving. Seems I am always seeing BMW test mules driving up and down the coast. In the past two days I have seen two flat black M3's and a X3 / X5 sedan hybrid type thing. I also constantly see a more finished models with a full array of gauges, cameras and sensors mounted on the dash and roof cruising around.
It is not just the freeway, but all around the hills near me. I thought maybe someone lived here, but no it is several different guys, and they will never look at me
Mini is no different, saw tons of riveted flat black minis running around about 6 months ago.
Is there a testing facility or something nearby that anyone knows about?

BMW feels that the Ring has been besmirched by the presence of the Cobalt SS, so they're switching their testing facility.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
drove up to Santa Barbara one day and on the 101 North at 6:30 am the road was flooded with teams from bmw testing god knows what.
The weird thing is I've seen normal looking production cars like a 3 series coupe but it will have the badges all taped off, and I honestly couldn't see what was special about it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Re: why do I see so many BMW test mules in Santa Barbara? (2000JettaGLXVR6)

Quote, originally posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 »

The engineers usually get pissed when I whip out the cell phone cam and do some pretty aggressive driving to get away.

Haha http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.