VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at Jiffy Lube and it bothers me that every single MK VI Jetta we get smells like a bow of crayons. Is it a conspiracy? Was there someone who melted crayons under the carpets of all Jettas? Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't have the same smell in any other car. MK VI Golfs and Passats included.

· Registered
3,844 Posts
During production, VW uses a milky white type of wax to seal all the nooks and crannies of the body for rust prevention. (Cannot remember the name but this wax treatment goes way back to the early '70's. It can be seen all over the undercarriage, inside the wheel wells (under the covers) inside the trunk... sometimes they over do it and it melts on the exhaust sytem when newish.... this wax smells just like crayon wax when cooked.... ;)

· Registered
9,307 Posts
I think its the faux leather they use in these cars. BMW's smell like Crayons too! Go to the BMW dealer and sit in a base 3-series with faux leather and tell me it doesn't smell like Crayons. :p

· Registered
1,651 Posts
It has nothing to do with the leather. It's wax. This has been known since the 98 beetle came out. And it's not melting on the exhaust. The smell permeates through the body.

Look at a MKIV Jetta that hasn't had a wash in a while. You can see the wax leaking out of the corner of the doors and down the rockers.

· Registered
4,128 Posts
This is a funny post...

Some years were worse than others, with older cars having the problem more frequently, but the smell seems to be mostly hit-or-miss in general with no black-and-white rules.

My experience:

2001 GLS w/ striped velour reeked of crayons.

2003 GLI w/ sport cloth has no crayon smell.

I'm pretty sure that the MkV and MkVI cars don't smell like this. Not that it's a bad smell. And honestly, I miss it sometimes now that I've had my GLI and been without the smell for 4 years.

· Registered
46,328 Posts
I work at Jiffy Lube and it bothers me that every single MK VI Jetta we get smells like a bow of crayons. Is it a conspiracy? Was there someone who melted crayons under the carpets of all Jettas? Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't have the same smell in any other car. MK VI Golfs and Passats included.
funny the jetta mkvi was just announced dont know how you've had MKVI jetta come in for oil changes :rolleyes:

unless you got your roman numerals messed up like 50% of this forum does then you meant to say MKIV

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.