VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wipers are SO F'ing slow... I can't imagine that this is the way they are supposed to be... compared to my A2 GTI the wipers are about 10 times slower. It takes a good 2 to 3 seconds for the wiper to fully swipe either up or down...
My question is, has this ever happened to any of you guys before? I can imagine that after 20 years the wiper motor is probably pretty F'd... have any of you actually had to replace yours before? I admit I haven't taken a look at it yet, but I plan to take a look at why the hell everything is so slow (and weak... it seems the wiper cant even push up more than about 1-2 lbs of snow... it gets stuck down very easily.)
Just looking for some tips from those of you that may have had similar problems as far as what to look for ...

· Registered
1,648 Posts
Re: why do my wipers suck so badly? (illi)

Slow wipers?
Chances are, they haven't been maintained in a long time, so pull it apart and grease it. Remove the wiper arm by taking the 10mm nut off, pull the arm assembly off, then remove the cap over the big 19(?)mm nut, then remove the nut. Pop the hood, unplug the wiper motor, there is one bolt holding the linkage on, unbolt it, push the remains of the wiper from outside of the vehicle through the body into the engine compartment, and remove the entire assembly. clean all the joints and grease them with some litium grease, now move the linkage yourself, you should notice a difference, and put it back in the car. Should work better now.

· Registered
3,668 Posts

Even for an A1, that sounds a bit slow. You may want to check the linkages for
rust or binding. Also, the A3 wiper motor is a good upgrade and a bolt-in.

· Registered
859 Posts

Quote, originally posted by illi »

(and weak... it seems the wiper cant even push up more than about 1-2 lbs of snow... it gets stuck down very easily.)

youre gonna strip them out doing that...but yeah mine are slow as hell too...and in intermittent mode they stutter a couple times before making a swipe...one of my favorite pieces of advice (that i can never follow myself) is "Proper Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance"...time for me to get greasin'

· Registered
23,928 Posts
Re: (--Klutched--)

Dammit, i just broke off the nut that holds the drivers side wiper on. The wiper still works though, but i'm afraid that it will fail when it rains next, or fall off the car. I loctited the nut back on, but of course that is only a temporary fix. I guess I have to replace the whole assembly now? My drivers side wiper doesn't have one of those caps, only the passenger side. Guess the PO must of lost it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.