VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...give a laundry list of "recently replaced" items when trying to sell their car? Anything other than normal services only signals an unreliable vehicle.
This ad in particular sparked this curiosity. Electrical gremlins anyone? Why would he think it a good idea to tip off potential buyers to past problems which might very well give rise to future problems?

Modified by Ben. at 11:20 PM 8-19-2006

· Registered
2,248 Posts
Re: Why do people think it's a good idea to... (Ben.)

Reliable or not...stuff wears out. I'd be more worried about a car that someone apparently didn't pay attention to. Like my brother's....
He never fixes anything, and that **** snowballs.

· Registered
11,096 Posts

Everything that ad listed is a VERY common failure point on any car of that age, and can be expected to fail if it hasn't yet.
If I'm buying an older car, I'd be going in expecting that the shocks might need changing, or that the tires are wearing down, and maybe even the clutch needed doing... So it's nice to see that some people have actually given the vehicle proper attention. They might be selling it because they are done putting money into it and would rather something newer, but it might be a good car just in need of another couple hundred bucks to keep it running for another few years relatively hastle free.
Hell, my parents' dumped around $4000 into their Volvo in 2005 - New piping for their A/C system (compressor/condensor/evaporator were still fine), new brakes all around, new tires (summer and winter), shocks replaced including the very expensive Nivomat self leveling system, new bushings everywhere, new radio, new power antenna, transmission serviced (filter, magnet cleaning, and fluid) for the 3rd time, rear diff oil changed... basically anything a 12 year old car would probably need by that time... The car drives absolutely fantastically and will be good for another few years without trouble (they're going to keep it until it dies as a second car), but the "laundry list" and assosiated few bills would have scared any potential buyer.

Modified by Live-Wire at 2:56 AM 8-20-2006

· Registered
13,717 Posts

'Cause people try to re-coup their costs in the sales price if they put all that money into the car.
Me, I already got a ton of spare engine parts and I'm looking at Corrados.
Lots of nice ones are expensive..partially because the owner already replaced all the stuff that I wanted to replace myself (and save money)
So it's a good indicator of what the car is going to be like..

· Registered
6,646 Posts

Really I don't mind, although I might think diferently for a newer car. When I bought my truck when I talked to the owner, he informed me that within the past 5,000 miles it had new tires, new brakes, new shocks, new clutch and throwout bearing, and a new fuel pump installed. Keeping in mind that the truck is a 76' model, it almost a deciding factor.

· Registered
10,433 Posts

I like it when sellers do that.
On the cars I shop for, I know exactly what can and will go wrong.
When buying a car, I'd like something where the owner actually maintained the vehicle in tip-top shape. Versus a car which might have started out good, but is now on it's last legs before requiring a major overhaul to sort out years of neglect.

· Registered
21,174 Posts

~$4k for a 13yr old Honda with 176k miles ??
My Merc has half the mileage and I'd be lucky to get 1/3rd of what he's asking for in a sale.

· Banned
2,915 Posts
Re: Why do people think it's a good idea to... (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
My Merc has half the mileage and I'd be lucky to get 1/3rd of what he's asking for in a sale.

Depends on the cosmetic condition of the car, but he'll very likely get close to that for it. (Not from me personally, but someone will just think "Oh it's a Honda", and throw down the cash)

· Registered
3,356 Posts

i like the people that have say 70k miles on thier car and they add in new motor, or new transmission 5k miles ago... screams to me "i dont take care of my car" or... "i drive the **** out of it". makes me wonder about the rest of the vehicle

· Banned
4,473 Posts
Re: Why do people think it's a good idea to... (boosted1800cc)

considering the car hasclose to 180,000 miles on it, it seems perfectly normal to have replaced most of the thing on that list, what seems to be the problem?

· Registered
250 Posts
Re: Why do people think it's a good idea to... (eppy73)

I agree with eppy, most of those things are normal to have replaced by then. I mean there's absolutely no way the car (4th gen Accord) would have made it to 180k on the original battery and timing belt.

· Registered
3,143 Posts

When I've bought used cars I like to see a list of things recently replaced. It lets me know where the maintance issues stand, and having receipts is even better. Also shows me that I am buying from someone who understands that cars need maintenance and kept on top of it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Modified by 84cgtturbo at 11:45 AM 8-20-2006

· Banned
4,473 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »

Did you not get the memo? Honda=Kick ASS resale value...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.